S. American Cruise

Scotchick

Cruising from Buenos Aires to Santiago Chile in mid April. What kind of weather can we expect at this time. Should we expect cold weather all the way up to Santiago. :eek::eek::eek:

Thank you in Advance

We cruised from BA in April in 2010, so presuming global warming (oh wait, that doesn't exist anymore?) hasn't changed things much, it was quite warm in BA (shorts!) and it didn't really get cool until we the sea day after we left Puerto Madryn. It became long sleeves and a jacket for the rest of the trip until we got to Chacabucco where it started to warm up. By the time we got to Valpariso, it was downright hot! The only truly cold days were the day we were in the Falklands and the afternoon in the Beagle Channel, but even that wasn't unbearable....nothing like what we packed for! If I had it to do over, I would not take a heavy coat unless you are truly cold natured and I wouldn't have taken as heavy a windbreaker as I did. I probably would have packed a few more lightweight long sleeve shirts rather than heavy weight ones....you can always layer...which is how we packed but we geared ourselves to the warmer side.....which we didn't need to do.

Have a great cruise - it remains our favorite!

Cruising from Buenos Aires to Santiago Chile in mid April. What kind of weather can we expect at this time. Should we expect cold weather all the way up to Santiago. :eek::eek::eek:

Thank you in Advance

We left BA on March 26 2016 and the weather was, to us pleasant the whole way except for one day of quite heavy rain, but we are from New Zealand and are used to colder weather than those from warmer climes. You will be a little later in the year than us so be prepared for colder weather especially going over to the Falklands and also for about 4-5 days while at the bottom of South America and moving up the Chilean coast.

Thank you in Advance

It's not too difficult to pack but you will need to (LAYER).

We used long underwear for the colder parts. NO puffy jackets at all (To bulky) but saw many.

The long winter underwear helped, and packed easier along with sweatshirt, (purchased on the ship) sweaters, a lined fall jacket and a windbreaker. All easy to pack and not needing to iron.

Remember that you can also purchase some of this as you land at each port and have a souvenir.

We took ear muffs (Necessary) and gloves as they came in handy at the Falkland's where you can purchase gorgeous hand knit sweaters IF you get there early..

Weather permitting, you (may) not get there if weather is very bad (wind). This is a tender port.

You will and should see all kinds of weather, that can change instantly from sunshine to rain to rainbows and snow but its all worth the trip. Lots of inside activities but we braved the outside as we rounded the horn.

It will warm up as you go up the Pacific side of the coast and we could discard the long underwear, then the jackets....but be AWARE....A lot of our passengers were seasick, as the Pacific has much larger waves. Hitting Chile is a lot like California....At first the southern part and getting warmer as you go up the coast....Leave ALL umbrella's at home....Take a rain suit IF needed, and we needed them at a few ports. Saw umbrellas whipped into uselessness.

Your going on a GREAT cruise....Have a GREAT time.

I forgot to add information on shoes and socks. Just a few pair of socks.

You will need sturdy shoes that are somewhat waterproof. Shoes you can wipe off as you may be stepping in mud and other things penguins leave behind.

Ordinary tennis shoes are useless and don't dry out quick enough.

Leave the high heels at home. This is a casual cruise

This is late. You will need a wide range of attire. It could be shorts in Buenos Aries and Valparaiso, But always for me (have done this 8 times), I need at least a sweatshirt and light jacket, including hat and gloves for the southern end. I do spend a lot of time outside on deck and always am on shore touring.

This timeframe is far from ideal. Most all the penguins will be migrated, and your only option will be to get to Volunteer Point for the kings which are year round there. I ALWAYS have this location a top priority for my trips, going with my same preferred vendor. I've made it there 7 times.

Spent 9 weeks sailing South America last year, and headed back for the 2 Brazil sailings March 24. The Sun isn't an ideal built ship for the Southern itinerary, so have patience. :) Was supposed to be forever in the Caribbean. So better for Brazil:)

Thanks everybody for your quite detailed answers. I already had a pretty clear picture in my head of what to expect, and you all confirmed what I had been thinking.

Hi Clay good to hear from you again.

:cool::cool::cool: May

Hey May- I didn't pay attention to who was asking the question:eek:. My bad, I had forgotten y'all were doing this cruise.

I usually always agree with BQ but in this case I think Sun is great- for those of us who like to be outside, it has plenty of open decks, for those who want to be inside there is the forward facing lounge with big windows and a deck for a quick minute outside.

Hey May- I didn't pay attention to who was asking the question:eek:. My bad, I had forgotten y'all were doing this cruise.

I usually always agree with BQ but in this case I think Sun is great- for those of us who like to be outside, it has plenty of open decks, for those who want to be inside there is the forward facing lounge with big windows and a deck for a quick minute outside.

Yes the viewing is excellent, but the buffet is a problem. It's half size, and forms wind tunnels. Causing cold drafts and cold food. :) There will be times of eating in jackets at some seating. There is not enough seating during peak times. They do use the Moderno on the other side, and do have a minimal buffet set up over there. But, you will probably want something from the other side and cold food is again a problem. No drink stations either, only temporary "jugs" set up.

Some cruises have been selling poorly and there has been some promotions for South America travelers. I will say, it's "Better" with those demographics on board as they aren't early risers. :) Giving more space for the early morning touring crowd. :)