Grills by the pool, nite food

paradise4ever

Been on the Crown, Ruby, Grand, Golden and Sapphire. All had the grill open at night. Maybe it's itin dependent? These were all out of Los Angeles.

The Trident Grills were open at night on the Ruby Alaska last May, the Regal Baltic/TA last fall, and on the Royal British Isles/TA in the fall of 2015. None of them were out of LA so it's not just the LA itineraries.

Just an FYI the smokehouse style BBQ at night is only on Regal and Royal Princess.

If you research the dining options on Princess website it appears that it's only Regal and Royal that offer additional items (ribs, pulled pork, wings Route 66 chili) at dinner at the Trident Grill. I do not believe the Grand class ships and lower offer these items at night - the evening/dinner BBQ at Trident Grill is a Royal class exclusive offering.

Source - Princess Website Description of Trident Grill:

Royal Class Ships

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/rp-royal-princess/

Versus all other classes

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/kp-crown-princess/

(Click on Trident Grill in each link)

Thanks for taking the time to share this! Will be on the Royal soon and will have to check out these options. :) yum

The Star had the Smokehouse bbq every evening on a recent sailing. Don't know how late they stayed open, but know it was at least until 930pm. It was a nice break from the dining room and specialties on a longer cruise after a busy port day. The onion rings were excellent!

We will be on the Royal. Is the Trident Grill buffet style or sit down and order from a waiter?

Counter service. You stand in the queue, give the grill man your order when you reach the front, and then carry it to a table.

I have to add another comment that has to do with the new CC site as well as the old one, but it is even worse now: I tried at first to upload pictures that I have uploaded in the past to Cruise Critic and it would not allow me and said: The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1440 x 1080.

I find this even more frustrating than before as it seems that the size that they allow now is just too minuscule!! :mad:(n)Don't get me wrong, I love CC, but some things are just sad compared to other forums out there... I personally think that a KB size limit would be more reasonable as opposed to a tiny pixel/resolution limitation. You can resize some photos into decent sized photos with relatively small KB size. I don't do enough with photos to go to the trouble of getting a hosting site and putting them all up there! I just want to share a little bit every so often! OK, off my Soap Box!!!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

The size of the graphics you attempted to upload and attach were too large and were automatically resized. After modification, the graphics appear to be a good size for viewing. See below.

Perhaps you should head over to the Test Forum where you can experiment with graphics...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

148871358_P1070475ResizedforCC.jpg.c6589defcecaf0553f8c4754879d902e.jpg

2032708392_P1070533ResizedforCC.jpg.ff8cc9d01b6aa6f3998f30f9b03bcb1f.jpg

Love BBQ & had it one night during a movie. Was just OK & would not skip a meal for it. Did not taste smoked, brisket was tough & pulled pork dry (although swimming in not-so-great sauce). Others seemed to have had a different experience so may have just been an off night.

The Star had the Smokehouse bbq every evening on a recent sailing. Don't know how late they stayed open, but know it was at least until 930pm. It was a nice break from the dining room and specialties on a longer cruise after a busy port day. The onion rings were excellent!

Thank you for sharing this! I'll be on a Star soon and somehow despite so many cruises, my husband and I have never seen this night BBQ!

I have had the Smoke house BBQ on other Princess ships so it is not just a Royal or Regal thing. It is not on all of the ships though. I can't remember right now which ships that we have had it on and which we haven't. I just wanted to let people know to have hope that it will be available on their cruise! LOL :D

ADDED....... I actually do remember getting it on the Crown Princess in January of 2015 and even have a picture of the Brisket, Wings, and Ribs that I will attach here. We got a big plate to share. (I may be wrong on this, but the Brisket that they do may be from a Corned Beef Brisket, as I thought that that flavor came out... It was a little odd to me. Maybe someone else thought the same thing?) The next night we "taught" them how to make Chili Cheese Fries with their Chili from the grill area.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

I have to add another comment that has to do with the new CC site as well as the old one, but it is even worse now: I tried at first to upload pictures that I have uploaded in the past to Cruise Critic and it would not allow me and said: The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1440 x 1080.

I find this even more frustrating than before as it seems that the size that they allow now is just too minuscule!! :mad:(n)Don't get me wrong, I love CC, but some things are just sad compared to other forums out there... I personally think that a KB size limit would be more reasonable as opposed to a tiny pixel/resolution limitation. You can resize some photos into decent sized photos with relatively small KB size. I don't do enough with photos to go to the trouble of getting a hosting site and putting them all up there! I just want to share a little bit every so often! OK, off my Soap Box!!!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

The size of the graphics you attempted to upload and attach were too large and were automatically resized. After modification, the graphics appear to be a good size for viewing. See below.

Perhaps you should head over to the Test Forum where you can experiment with graphics...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

[ATTACH]404877[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]404878[/ATTACH]

Lew,

Thanks for responding!:) Thanks for also taking the time to post them for viewing too.

I think that I was more frustrated with the fact that the pictures that I tried to upload were ones that I actually had previously uploaded to "the old" Cruise Critic at the originally resized (by me) resolution. With the new site they would not upload and I had to again resize them even smaller myself, they did not automatically resize them. I would like it if CC AUTOMATICALLY resized pictures, it would be more friendly that way. Their new site is more friendly in that they do give you the max picture resolution that can be uploaded... the old site would just sit there and choke IIRC. I would have to keep resizing down until it would take. The main thing that I really wanted to share originally is that the post of the Smokehouse BBQ only being available on the Royal and Regal was mistaken and that it was available on other ships as well, just not all of them.

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

Not a fan of the BBQ offerings.

While it certainly isn't the best barbeque you will ever eat we have enjoyed having this option on longer cruises. On short cruises (7 days or less) we eat in the specialty restaurants almost every night as the MDR's are too noisy for us. Specialties every night isn't very practical on longer cruises though! We don't really care for buffets, so there is just something special about eating outdoors on a quiet Lido deck while at sea.

I didn't think the brisket on the Star tasted like corned beef, but it wasn't very tender because they had obviously removed the fat cap before cooking.

The last four cruises on Grand, Trident Grill offered two Smokehouse-Style BBQ menu after 6 p.m. First is their Jumbo Chicken Wings, Texas Style Barbecued Brisket, Kansas City Sweet & Smoky Ribs along with their traditional Beef Burgers and Jumbo Hot Dogs. Their second menu offers Orange Molasses Grilled Chicken, Route 66 Beef Chili, North Carolina Pulled Pork and again their traditional Burgers and Dogs. These two menu run every three days on and switches and repeat it self again. The Smokehouse-Style BBQ is not offered on boarding day, it starts the first sea day.

While it certainly isn't the best barbeque you will ever eat we have enjoyed having this option on longer cruises. On short cruises (7 days or less) we eat in the specialty restaurants almost every night as the MDR's are too noisy for us. Specialties every night isn't very practical on longer cruises though! We don't really care for buffets, so there is just something special about eating outdoors on a quiet Lido deck while at sea.

I didn't think the brisket on the Star tasted like corned beef, but it wasn't very tender because they had obviously removed the fat cap before cooking.

Although I have always enjoyed any ribs they have at the buffet.

I have had the Smoke house BBQ on other Princess ships so it is not just a Royal or Regal thing. It is not on all of the ships though. I can't remember right now which ships that we have had it on and which we haven't. I just wanted to let people know to have hope that it will be available on their cruise! LOL :D

ADDED....... I actually do remember getting it on the Crown Princess in January of 2015 and even have a picture of the Brisket, Wings, and Ribs that I will attach here. We got a big plate to share. (I may be wrong on this, but the Brisket that they do may be from a Corned Beef Brisket, as I thought that that flavor came out... It was a little odd to me. Maybe someone else thought the same thing?) The next night we "taught" them how to make Chili Cheese Fries with their Chili from the grill area.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Anybody else think all of Princess's brisket tastes likes its been corned?

SadieN,

I guess that you missed my previous post where I brought up that thought... but I totally think that we are on to something! Tastes like Corned Beef Brisket to me!

Happy Cruising!

Mark

SadieN,

I guess that you missed my previous post where I brought up that thought... but I totally think that we are on to something! Tastes like Corned Beef Brisket to me!

Happy Cruising!

Mark

Yep, missed it. Now if they had a good sour rye (preferably corn rye but any rye bread would do) and a good deli mustard I'd be happy.

Not true.

I'm basing this on what's on their website. Do they do the full dinner BBQ at a Trident on all the other ships too at night? The website seems to indicate it's a Royal/Regal thing.

Edit: I see folks have had the BBQ on all the ships regardless of ship class. That's great, and my apologies for giving out incorrect information.

I guess they need to update the descriptions on Princess site. The way it's worded it looked like it was only a Royal/Regal thing. Thought I was being helpful :o

Edited by bamelin

"Grill By The Pool, Night Food". Grand Princess to Alaska offers their "North To Alaska Menu". One night will be Fish Tacos, another Mermaid Halibut Burgers and finally Crab Cakes made from Tracy's King Crab Shack's recipe out of Juneau. I've eaten Tracy's Crab Cakes. Six mini crab cakes for $11.00. Excellent. But I got all I wanted, along with fries at the Trident Grill for $00.00 and they were just as good.

Edited by Gimer

I'm basing this on what's on their website. Do they do the full dinner BBQ at a Trident on all the other ships too at night? The website seems to indicate it's a Royal/Regal thing.

Edit: I see folks have had the BBQ on all the ships regardless of ship class. That's great, and my apologies for giving out incorrect information.

I guess they need to update the descriptions on Princess site. The way it's worded it looked like it was only a Royal/Regal thing. Thought I was being helpful :o

That's the problem, the website. Out in the fleet it seems to be a whole other world the way things operate.

I think they purposely keep things vague because of that. There is a lot of wiggle room.

There always seems to be a disconnect between corporate and fleet. :o

The Regal & Royal outdoes the others ships in many respects. After bouncing back & forth many times we've decided that in the future to stick with the best.