Domestic air upgrades to first class?

• 3 weeks later...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but buying your EWR - LAX flight through Regent will cost you about an extra $740 per person. The air credit for that flight would be $700. So with the $699 pp upgrade charge, you are paying $1399 pp for your flight. You can book one of four nonstops on United for $659 pp. Thus, booking directly with United would save you $1480 for two tickets, less the cost of transportation to the airport.

The good news is that you have time to cancel the United flight without penalty, take the air credit and rebook the flight directly, thereby saving a chunk of change. :D

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice- it did help! While United has more than doubled the prices for first class on those flights since this conversation started, and isn't selling first on one way nonstops right now, I did snag some fun first class seats on Virgin America out of JFK. And I saved over $1000. We can still buy a transfer from Regent or just grab a taxi. Win-win. Thanks, DaveFr.

This is the whole problem. Flights to ports and the cruise business are linked. If I can't get to the port in a manner suitable for me at a suitable cost, I just won't go on the cruise. Regent really needs to negotiate with the airlines for tickets on domestic legs that can be upgraded to first or business at a reasonable cash or points cost.

Thanks for the advice- it did help! While United has more than doubled the prices for first class on those flights since this conversation started, and isn't selling first on one way nonstops right now, I did snag some fun first class seats on Virgin America out of JFK. And I saved over $1000. We can still buy a transfer from Regent or just grab a taxi. Win-win. Thanks, DaveFr.

I'm calling BS on this. Either they doubled the price OR they aren't selling tickets. Can't be both, cause how would you have a price without a ticket to buy?

Also, a one-way fully refundable F ticket is the highest priced on the aircraft. Give me a date and flight and I'll prove that you can buy a one-way first class ticket on almost any UA flight that has a first class cabin, at least if we are one week or more out from departure.

I'm calling BS on this. Either they doubled the price OR they aren't selling tickets. Can't be both, cause how would you have a price without a ticket to buy?

Also, a one-way fully refundable F ticket is the highest priced on the aircraft. Give me a date and flight and I'll prove that you can buy a one-way first class ticket on almost any UA flight that has a first class cabin, at least if we are one week or more out from departure.

Well, a little of both. When I booked the cruise, UA was selling first class, one-way tickets EWR-LAX on Oct 17 for just under $700. A few days later, they had doubled the price to about $1500 pp one way (I'm talking about the non-stop, midday flights on 757s with fully flat seats in first). About a week later, and still as of right now, they were posting that first class on those particular flights was "unavailable." (Just checked, that's still what they say. I took a screen shot and will try to post it.). The flights with stops are available, but those are not on the refitted 757s, and all at reasonable times are twice the price that was being shown a couple of months ago. It is available for round trip, but at a crazy high price. I've been flying United for business for 15 years and know most of the tricks. I'd love to be shown wrong and learn some new tricks! At any rate, I'm happy with my flight on Virgin America, which is always fun in first, especially when compared to "standard" domestic first.

imagepng