Domestic air upgrades to first class?

This whole thing about airlines and their costs and such is making me wish I had never started this thread. It makes me think that airlines should be regulated again (can I say that here? If not, Dan, please delete this post). I just can't figure out what a given type of seat should cost for a given route. All I am trying to say is that, if I chose to not take Regent supplied air for a given leg of the trip to the ship, I should be credited in the fair amount -- that being the price of the leg as posted on the airline's web site. If they would do that, I would be satisfied. Heck, I might want to drive that leg! But in my case, I would probably want to upgrade it. But that is all I want, is a fair credit.

This whole thing about airlines and their costs and such is making me wish I had never started this thread. It makes me think that airlines should be regulated again (can I say that here? If not, Dan, please delete this post). I just can't figure out what a given type of seat should cost for a given route. All I am trying to say is that, if I chose to not take Regent supplied air for a given leg of the trip to the ship, I should be credited in the fair amount -- that being the price of the leg as posted on the airline's web site. If they would do that, I would be satisfied. Heck, I might want to drive that leg! But in my case, I would probably want to upgrade it. But that is all I want, is a fair credit.

First of all absolutely and completely agree the credit should be fair. Problem is the fare that is included in your cruise ticket has absolutely no relationship to what Regent actually pays for your ticket either in total or by flight and also has absolutely no relationship to the price posted on the airline's website. In fact, you absolutely cannot find the price for the leg you want to get refunded or upgraded. You cannot price a ticket leg by leg as that is not how a multi leg trip is actually priced. Also Regent has contracts with some airlines that have prices that are lower than anything the public can purchase. Then there is something I described earlier where cruise ticket prices including air do not vary depending on what your start location is so again no relationship to the airline prices on the web site as they are developed by Regent to cover their costs and probably make a little more. Sure it is a win some, lose some situation and hopefully the law of averages will end up positive for the cruise line. You simply cannot blame the airlines for the issues you are describing and having. It is all how the cruise line decides to cover the air costs in the cruise fare and how much of that amount the choose to refund for you not taking cruise air. Please don't blame the airline for these issues and they absolutely positutly are not involved in this process and even if they were again regulated, which I hope not, nothing would change. Perhaps your suggestion should be to have the cruise industry regulated but, that is pretty far fetched. Please don't blame the airlines as they are certainly not the problem.

In tc’s case the issue might be that she is flying from Vancouver to Miami which is an International flight and Business, not First Class which might make the difference between her being able to upgrade while you are not able since your flight is truly domestic.

Actually this is not the case. We could fly Seattle to Miami and the situation would be the same (we have done that as well). For whatever reason, even airlines do not consider Canada "international". If you fly most airlines from Vancouver to Miami First Class (as an example), you cannot use the lounge -- only "international flights" (by the airlines definition) qualify.

Well, this matter is too complicated for me to take any further. But I do know that the airlines are to blame for a few things. Like making coach class uninhabitable and limiting their lounges (that used to be for first class passengers) to only first class INTERNATIONAL passengers (except for travel between some counties). And I do blame the airports -- many of which do not meet ADA standards (as coach airline seats do not). Now the airline deals between cruise lines and the airlines -- I'd like to see a copy of that. What? You don't have a copy? Nobody does? That's what I thought.

So much of what was posted in this thread is pure BS and exageration. Don't know where to start, so just a few thoughts.

Since the airline industry is heavily scrutinized by the Feds, they are most assuredly ADA compliant. Just look to how many "service animals" are brought onboard. They do not want trouble with Washington. Seat pitch on USA airlines, even Spirit, is not smaller than what can be found overseas. Many carriers have even tighter arrangements than what you find here, including BA intra-Europe biz class.

I find it a gross overstatement to say that airports are not ADA compliant. Please provide some specifics, as all USA airports follow ADA. (Note that ADA does not apply to non-USA airports and carriers not serving the USA)

Lounges have not been for domestic F travel in many many years, with the exception of some high-value transcons.

Upgrading of tickets is completely dependent on the fare rules for the specific fare class for the ticket. Unless you can know and access the specific rules, you cannot make a blanket generalization and have it stick across the board. Most cruiseline issued tickets are a bulk/consolidator ticket with restrictive fare rules. Usually one cannot find the fare rules for cruiseline tickets, so knowing the rules is often difficult to find until it is too late to make a change.

Lounges have not been for domestic F travel in many many years, with the exception of some high-value transcons.

So, do you consider Canada and Mexico domestic?

For anyone that is able to use Alaska Airlines out of Seattle, you can use their lounge for domestic first class. And, if your domestic flight connects to an international flight, you can also use the lounge for most airlines. Lastly, since many luxury cruisers have an Amex Platinum branded card, you can use the Centurion Lounge (popping up in more and more airports ...... now in Las Vegas, Miami, Seattle, Dallas, La Guardia and San Francisco. Also, with the Amex platinum card, you can use the Priority Plus lounges at over 1,000 locations worldwide. The cardholder can enter at no charge and a guest is only $27.

In terms of economy seating, it is difficult to put up with but for short flights is doable. For longer flights, IMO, it is worth the extra $$$.

• 2 weeks later...

This was not my experience. I booked the Navigator Lisbon-NY a few weeks ago. We are flying business on Lufthansa LAX-FRA-LIS, and domestic first class on United EWR-LAX, which is a lie-flat seat on a 757. Booked with a TA, but the option was available on Regent's online booking. It was $699 per person. Also paid the deviation to pick all the flights I wanted, given the limitations of Regent's contracts. (Would have preferred Air New Zealand to London, but that's not one of their vendors.) I logged in to both Lufthansa and UA and picked our seats. I don't know why they would not have a consistent practice.

This was not my experience. I booked the Navigator Lisbon-NY a few weeks ago. We are flying business on Lufthansa LAX-FRA-LIS, and domestic first class on United EWR-LAX, which is a lie-flat seat on a 757. Booked with a TA, but the option was available on Regent's online booking. It was $699 per person. Also paid the deviation to pick all the flights I wanted, given the limitations of Regent's contracts. (Would have preferred Air New Zealand to London, but that's not one of their vendors.) I logged in to both Lufthansa and UA and picked our seats. I don't know why they would not have a consistent practice.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but buying your EWR - LAX flight through Regent will cost you about an extra $740 per person. The air credit for that flight would be $700. So with the $699 pp upgrade charge, you are paying $1399 pp for your flight. You can book one of four nonstops on United for $659 pp. Thus, booking directly with United would save you $1480 for two tickets, less the cost of transportation to the airport.

The good news is that you have time to cancel the United flight without penalty, take the air credit and rebook the flight directly, thereby saving a chunk of change. :D

Hope this helps.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but buying your EWR - LAX flight through Regent will cost you about an extra $740 per person. The air credit for that flight would be $700. So with the $699 pp upgrade charge, you are paying $1399 pp for your flight. You can book one of four nonstops on United for $659 pp. Thus, booking directly with United would save you $1480 for two tickets, less the cost of transportation to the airport.

The good news is that you have time to cancel the United flight without penalty, take the air credit and rebook the flight directly, thereby saving a chunk of change. :D

Hope this helps.

Dave,

Thanks- I'll look in to that. But my point was to say that it IS possible to upgrade the domestic flights via Regent. Some of the earlier posts seems to indicate that they weren't able to do so. Perhaps I misread their intent.

Hope this helps.

Your understanding of Regent flights exceeds that of most of us. Now that I've buttered you up, I have a question. It is my understanding that you cannot upgrade included international Business Class flights to First Class through Regent .... it's this correct? While I can't see why people would want to do that given the great Business Class seats on most airlines and the likely cost involved, I want to be able to respond to questions accurately.

Thanks much.

Your understanding of Regent flights exceeds that of most of us. Now that I've buttered you up, I have a question. It is my understanding that you cannot upgrade included international Business Class flights to First Class through Regent .... it's this correct? While I can't see why people would want to do that given the great Business Class seats on most airlines and the likely cost involved, I want to be able to respond to questions accurately.

Thanks much.

I inquired about a first class upgrade on my BA flight last November before the transatlantic cruise on the Explorer. The Regent air department told me that it was possible to upgrade to first class, at least on British Airways. It may or may not be possible to upgrade to first class on other airlines. I don't remember the exact upgrade fee but it was substantial; at least $2000 and possibly as much as $3500 per person.

Hope this helps. See you in Miami.

The FAQs (Flight Information) on the Regent website indicate that you can upgrade to First Class:

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/

"Guests using an Air/Sea Program may upgrade to Business or First Class air service subject to space availability by the airline used in conjunction with the itinerary, and upon payment of the applicable airfare"

Obviously we all know that the Regent website is notorious for being incorrect or out of date

Also not all airlines offer First Class on all routes

The FAQs (Flight Information) on the Regent website indicate that you can upgrade to First Class:

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/

"Guests using an Air/Sea Program may upgrade to Business or First Class air service subject to space availability by the airline used in conjunction with the itinerary, and upon payment of the applicable airfare"

Obviously we all know that the Regent website is notorious for being incorrect or out of date

Also not all airlines offer First Class on all routes

Thank you for posting the link - I haven't read that section in a long time (and it is typically quite accurate). Now I understand that you can possibly upgrade but the cost would be extremely high. About half of the flights that we fly on have both Business and First Class but I am not willing to pay $6,000 for two people to upgrade to First Class when the seats on British Airways or Cathay Pacific (our preferred airlines) are perfectly fine in Business Class.

Dave, as always - really appreciate the information. See you Saturday!

UUNetBill,

We too are happy in Business class on domestic airline legs. Thing is, we have a terminology problem, in that some domestic lines on some legs have First and coach, and no business class. Others have Business and coach, but no first class. We are happy with either Business or First on any of these legs. Just not so happy in coach (aka economy).

So just book First or Business at the relevant premium, either direct or through Regent, and you will be fine :)

Generally speaking, there is not a "relevant premium" for U.S. passengers if you book through Regent. If you deviate there may be a premium but we have not encountered this in most of our cruises. In terms of First Class, I cannot recall another thread where this was discussed (as the premium would be so high as to make it ridiculous for most passengers to pay).

UUNetBill,

We too are happy in Business class on domestic airline legs. Thing is, we have a terminology problem, in that some domestic lines on some legs have First and coach, and no business class. Others have Business and coach, but no first class. We are happy with either Business or First on any of these legs. Just not so happy in coach (aka economy).

Dole - we left Colorado about 4-5 years ago so we've kind of forgotten the pain of domestic coach getting to a coast. ;p

We fly out of CLT now so rarely have to deal with domestic connections - flying eastbound anyhow. It'll be different for us when we start heading to the Pacific. Ugh.

Generally speaking, there is not a "relevant premium" for U.S. passengers if you book through Regent. If you deviate there may be a premium but we have not encountered this in most of our cruises. In terms of First Class, I cannot recall another thread where this was discussed (as the premium would be so high as to make it ridiculous for most passengers to pay).

The OP was talking about Domestic flights, and in that case I understood that there was a premium to be paid - whether in First or Business, depending on what was being offered by the relevant airline on the relevant route

The OP was talking about Domestic flights, and in that case I understood that there was a premium to be paid - whether in First or Business, depending on what was being offered by the relevant airline on the relevant route

Yes - that is what the TS asked about but the thread took a slight turn at post #33. This discussion, IMO, remains on point since many of us are flying domestic and connecting to an international flight. As you know, Regent is going all Business Class on international routes so there is no premium to be paid under most circumstances (assuming that the airline you are flying domestically is the same airline that you will be flying internationally).

Back to the TS' original question, as has been pretty much covered, if you want First or Business Class on domestic flights (not connecting out of the country) you are going to pay Regent considerably more money than it would cost to purchase the tickets yourself. Regent does not appear to have contracts with airlines flying within the U.S. and are unlikely to do so.

Dolebludger, I don't know which airport you are flying out of in Colorado but I just did a quick check for flights from Denver to MIA. A first class, one way ticket for two people is approximately $1,000. What is the credit that Regent gives for non-use air? Obviously if you were only going one way, your non-use air credit would need to be halved.

A couple of clarification/corrections to some of the previous statements. Airlines just like Regent only promise Business Class seats for the overwater portion of the trip. Your best chance of domestic flights being in First Class, is if your domestic flight is on the same airline as the overseas flight but, there are cases where Domestic First Class seats are not available and you might be seated in economy. Next best chance of Domestic First Class seats if if you are on a code share/same alliance airline. Least chance of First Class domestic is for the flights to be on 2 or more completely different airlines. To confirm this simply go to purchase or use FF miles for an international flights and see how many have the notation "Mixed Cabin" meaning not Business or First Class for all the flights. Simply incorrect to state that absolutely you will get First Class domestic on an International segment in Business or First.

In addition the statement was made that the credit for a one way Flight is half of the total credit for the round trip. This is true if the cruise departs from and returns to the same port. For TA's and other open jaw type cruises, Regent does prorate the credit based on the distance flown or cost of the two flight segments. For instance, on a TA we opted for the credit for our flight to Ft. Lauderdale while keeping Regent Air for the return from Barcelona. The total credit for the round trip would have been $800 pp but, the breakdown was $500 for the Barcelona to Houston flight while the credit for the flight to Miami which we took was $300 pp, certainly not half.

In addition the statement was made that the credit for a one way Flight is half of the total credit for the round trip. This is true if the cruise departs from and returns to the same port. For TA's and other open jaw type cruises, Regent does prorate the credit based on the distance flown or cost of the two flight segments. For instance, on a TA we opted for the credit for our flight to Ft. Lauderdale while keeping Regent Air for the return from Barcelona. The total credit for the round trip would have been $800 pp but, the breakdown was $500 for the Barcelona to Houston flight while the credit for the flight to Miami which we took was $300 pp, certainly not half.

Dave,

I believe your TA where Regent prorated the air credit was at least three years ago. Regent's policy has changed and, in my experience, they no longer prorate. I have taken an Explorer TA in 2016 and will take two more Explorer TA's in 2017. For each cruise I chose to take the air credit for the flights to or from Miami. The air credit I received for each cruise was exactly half the published air credit. The air credit was not prorated.

Thanks Dave for the clarification. Yes was more than 3 years ago. Really surprised as the likely splitting is taking the credit to Miami and really to the benefit of the customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app