What to pack for Uniworld cruise???

jealdaka

We will be in Italy in late June and I am fine about what to pack for off the boat, but concerned about how dressy it will be onboard in the evenings. Does my husband need a suit or jacket? I am thinking just a sports coat in fine with a tie but he can pack a suit if that would be more appropriate. Thanks!!

A suit will absolutely not be required. Not even all male cruisers will have jackets (although some certainly will). And this level of dressiness is really only for the Captain's gala dinner. All other evenings, anything other than shorts generally passes muster.

No suites or ties required, and even rarely worn. Many of the gentlemen do wear sports jackets on many of the evenings. The boats are well air conditioned, so no one will over heat with a jacket on. Also, unlike Viking, Uniworld carries far fewer passengers in a dining room about the same size. Much more comfortable!

Uniworld is an upscale cruise company. Many of its patron dress for dinner the same as they would if going out to a fine restaurant. For many of the Uniworld patrons that means nicely dressed for dinner.

Shorts are never allowed in the MDR at dinner, at least while the ac is functioning! While it is true that some patrons will dress down to lowest standards the maître di will allow them through the MDR door way (they do turn away those attempting to wear shorts), most dress more appropriately for fine dining.

Ok I will chime in on the subject of what to take and what to wear. We are taking our fourth Uniworld river cruise this August. I am such an over packer but this time I will try and pack less.. we will be on ship for thirteen days. Pack for a week and rotate clothes. No sport coat for hubby needed. My husband brought two nice long sleeve dress shirts, golf shirts and Tommy Bahama type shirt. Nice slacks and chino type pants..Maybe this time shorts for excurisions might be hot..The best think to pack for woman is a pair of black pants for evening and I am bringing a basic black dress. Dress it up with jewelry and a scarf. Dinner is not formal very casual (COUNTRY CLUB CASUAL....). Bottom line be comfortable.. Most important bring a good pair walking shoes... enjoy you will love Uniworld.

Wise advice from all above. You can overdress if you'd like, and you want to lug all of that stuff around. But absolutely not required.

For me, a few pairs of khaki pants and some button-down shirts suffice for evenings. The khakis can be worn touring if it's cooler, and the shirts are casual enough that I can throw them over a T-shirt as an additional layer when out touring. I will bring a sport coat if it's cooler (we often go in March-April) but I feel comfortable without it.

Make it as dressy or as casual as you like, but IMO a suit is overkill, and your husband may well feel overdressed for the occasion. Jacket and tie will be at the 75th+ percentile.

Going on our 11th Uniworld cruise in May. I don't take a sports jacket and don't feel out of place since few men seem to take them. I usually wear khaki pants and a collared shirt to dinner. Casual and comfortable. On those rare occasions that tours run into the dinner hour, people tend to go straight into dinner wearing their "tour clothes" unless shorts which are not allowed in the dinning room.

We will be in Italy in late June and I am fine about what to pack for off the boat, but concerned about how dressy it will be onboard in the evenings. Does my husband need a suit or jacket? I am thinking just a sports coat in fine with a tie but he can pack a suit if that would be more appropriate. Thanks!!

We are on the Uniworld June 23rd Italy sailing. This will be our third Uniworld cruise. As all have said your husband will be comfortable at dinner in slacks and button up shirt regardless of the night. The welcome dinner and the Farewell dinner will normally be a little dressier. By that I mean some men will wear a tie and no jacket, or a jacket and no tie. But at least half probably will wear neither a jacket or a tie. I usually take a sports coat for these nights and not a tie or a suit. But I wear dress clothes every day for work so not unusual for me. Other then shorts at dinner I don't think he will feel uncomfortable. If you are on this sailing I look forward to seeing you!

Brian

And don't forget, if you would rather eat "up top," they serve freshly made pizza and salads, and the dress is 100% casual.....shorts allowed.....We did this 6/7 nights. It was just too picture perfect to eat inside.

Robin

I think you have your answer, in which I concur. About half of the gentlemen will take and wear jackets on certain nights, while the other half doesn't. Your husband can do as he feels best. I always take a jacket, (and end up wearing it) because it allows options. My sports jacket is light and packs very easily.

Eating up top is an option for strictly casual attire. However, the Italians normally eat dinner later than 7-8 p.m. for a very good reason. It can be very hot and sticky, especially the month you are sailing. So depending upon where the boat is, it may or may not be comfortable at that time. All those wonderful outdoor cafes in town don't typically start cranking up until 9 or so!

I think you have your answer, in which I concur. About half of the gentlemen will take and wear jackets on certain nights, while the other half doesn't. Your husband can do as he feels best. I always take a jacket, (and end up wearing it) because it allows options. My sports jacket is light and packs very easily.

Eating up top is an option for strictly casual attire. However, the Italians normally eat dinner later than 7-8 p.m. for a very good reason. It can be very hot and sticky, especially the month you are sailing. So depending upon where the boat is, it may or may not be comfortable at that time. All those wonderful outdoor cafes in town don't typically start cranking up until 9 or so!

I agree on all counts. While our Uniworld cruise was VERY casual due to excessive heat for the duration, DH will pack a sport coat for our upcoming cruise next month. I expect we will see a fair percentage do so as well. I prefer dresses and always pack a few as well as mix and match pants and tops. And I do take it up a notch for dressier evenings aboard as that is a personal preference.

And Italy is very likely to be steamy in late June. When we are in Italy we dine at 8 or after, as is customary there.