Power strip without a surge protector

Mobe

What do you take on your cruise to solve the one outlet issue in your cabin? My husband uses a CPAP and I want to make sure we have enough outlet space to charge the camera battery and our phones as well as run the CPAP. From reading on the Carnival site I see it can't have a surge protector as part of the strip.

What do you take on your cruise to solve the one outlet issue in your cabin? My husband uses a CPAP and I want to make sure we have enough outlet space to charge the camera battery and our phones as well as run the CPAP. From reading on the Carnival site I see it can't have a surge protector as part of the strip.

Correct. No surge protector. If the power strip has one, it will be indicated somewhere, usually on the bottom of the strip. For our last cruise, I bought a power strip with a short cord (24"). Since I have it laying on top of the vanity, I didn't want to have a long cord to deal with.

you can get a 6 outlet power strip at Home Depot for $5.

Yes, look for one that doesn't mention surge protection, "joules of protection", or "clamping voltage", in the packaging, as all of these are buzz words for surge protection.

You'll want an extension cord too as the 1 outlet in the cabin is likely very far away from the bed. - Well, 2 out of 2 cruises for us have been that way. We got an extension cord where the end has three plugs. One for cpap and 1 for our 5-port USB charging hub. It lets you plug in 5 things that charge via USB - camera, phones, tablets - we filled it up.

I recently found, and bought a power strip, with a short cord, and no surge protection at Wal Mart for 98 cents! Bought two of 'em,,,one for the lovely, and talented Mrs. Jones, and one for me. How can you beat that?

Bringing my 6 outlet strip w/4 ft cord--got lotsa devices that need charging pretty much daily. This is a necessity for us when we cruise....dunno how most folks get along with the single outlet these days. :)

I brought a 6 foot extension chord with 3 plugs on it that I bought off Amazon. Worked fine. 15 foot sounds like it might be a little over-kill; couldn't that wrap all the way around a cabin 3 times? :) You must be staying in a grand suite to need one that long!

I use a CPAP. We use a surge protector and a 18 foot extension cord. The kind you use for Christmas lights.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I brought a 6 foot extension chord with 3 plugs on it that I bought off Amazon. Worked fine. 15 foot sounds like it might be a little over-kill; couldn't that wrap all the way around a cabin 3 times? :) You must be staying in a grand suite to need one that long!

15 footer is needed if you're using a CPAP when sleeping.

lol, I admittedly have only experienced 2 Carnival cabins and both were conquest-class balconies but 6 foot would never reach from outlet to bedside for cpap purposes. I assume different ships and cabin cabin categories will have different dimensions but our 15 footer should work for all of them.

We got lucky on our first cruise in that we didn't know we needed the extension cord so we didn't bring one but guest services lent us one with the 3 outlet deal at the end. So that's what we looked for when we went to get one of our own - they said they don't always have them.

I use a CPAP. We use a surge protector and a 18 foot extension cord. The kind you use for Christmas lights.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I would ask that you don't use the surge protector onboard the ship. If you search my posts, you will find hundreds where I discuss the dangers of using consumer surge protectors in shipboard wiring systems. I know you are worried about protecting the vital medical device, but just know that absolutely none of the ship's vital systems and electronics are protected with surge protectors, because the unique characteristics of marine wiring that makes surge protectors dangerous also makes them redundant.

• 10 months later...
Where do a buy a power board without a surge proction or a extension cord with out let’s in a Aust Melbourne for a cruise in Feb

I'm sure there will be a Bunnings nearby. Just make sure the power strip does not have a surge protector, which is easy if you buy the cheapest one!

Something for Texas moomba and everyone considering bringing a strip with a surge protector.

Carnival or ANY cruise line has the right to confiscate them.

Better to follow the rules on this one folks.

Keep the ship safe of fire risks and have a strip to use in the cabin.

try this and save yourself $12, every device has USB chargers

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-45-Angle-Plug-YLPT-90/203353677

One negative about those kinds is if you have any bulky chargers then you can only use every other outlet which leaves you with only 3 or maybe 4 outlets. It’s also bulkier. The one we ordered you’ll be able to use 3 separate bulky plugs plus the 3 USB ports, eliminating the need to pack the bulky wall chargers. The compact size is great for traveling, my husband plans to keep it in his daily work bag after the trip. There’s another one that offers surge protection and a mounting bracket and we like the design so much that we think we’ll end up buying that one for our house.