Free Business Class Air

But, we wouldn't be having this conversation if the airlines reverted back to the same seating and configuration for economy that they used in like 1978, which they should do (or be required to do) as we find the present situation to be dangerous as well as uncomfortable. But this is not a situation created or controlled by Regent.

I am a retired Airline Captain. Just for comparison, and it was mentioned by another poster, the average cost of a domestic ticket (adjusted for inflation) in 1978 was around $650. Today it's around $350.

We are doing a cruise with Business air through Regents from Sydney. To purchase a Business Class ticket via an Employee Discount with my airlines one way would cost about twice what the Regents cost is. We pick up the cruise in Honolulu. The savings from Regents for the flight to Honolulu is more than what an economy ticket would cost me through my employee discount. So we will use Frequent Flyer miles (yes, much better than standby) for Business class to Honolulu, but use Regents Air for the return trip. I am a first time Regents Cruiser, so this is all new to me and "learn as I go." But seems that the thing to do is to price the cruise with and without Air, and determine the most desirable way to go based on air class and cost of air with and without Regents Air. We want Business/First all the way from Sydney to home. If it turns out that we can only get it to the West Coast, I'll simply see about having Regents Air end at the West Coast and use Frequent Flyer miles to fly the domestic portion in First Class. Hoping to get Business/First all the way.

Flyer,

I may well be wrong, and you may well be right about Delta not flying to Denver. The flight was over two years ago, and my recollection may be in error, as it often is at my age!

Even if you were wrong, your points were well noted. If the airlines had the service and seats that they had before they formed mini-monopolies, many of us who intensely dislike flying any airline that is based in the U.S. would feel differently. While paying less is fine, paying for crap isn't (in my humble opinion).

Regent (no "s") partners with some wonderful international carriers that provide comfortable seats and excellent service. And, many international flights are just as expensive if you fly U.S. carriers (with the poor service, food, etc.).

While we will likely be stuck flying a U.S. carrier round-trip to Miami, we are very happy to be flying Cathay Pacific on our next international fights (Note: Cathay Pacific flights were booked for us by Regent - these are the fights that we will save money by booking ourselves.)

P.S. If I had to select a U.S. based airline it would be Alaska. While the food sucks, the service is okay and they seem to be the only U.S. based airline that allows First Class passengers into their lounge when flying in the U.S.)

papaflamingo,

Just a note here. We would be delighted to pay $650 for an economy class ticket, if economy accomodations were what they used to be. As it is, we actually can't stand flying that way, and thus have to pay much more than $650 for business/first. I understand that some airlines are creating classes between business/first and crappy economy. I'm eager to see how that works out.

Some who have posted on this board for a couple of decades will remember when we used to cruise much more often than now. And the airlines (not the cruise lines) are the main reason we've cut way back.

Some who have posted on this board for a couple of decades will remember when we used to cruise much more often than now. And the airlines (not the cruise lines) are the main reason we've cut way back.

DB - I've only been on here since about '09 but I know what you mean about flying anywhere - especially coming from Durango - it's tough. I spent 20 years in Colorado Springs and I know even in my 40s it was a chore getting to the east coast gateways on our way to Europe. Either suffer or pay through the nose. And even with Regent's 'Included (not free) Business Class Air', getting from the Rockies to an east coast airport is either a crappy flight or an expensive upgrade.

I've looked into some of the Economy Plus or Super Economy or whatever they're calling it, and although it's a little better, it's far from good, IMO.

Because of my DW's hate of flying we are normally limited to no-fly cruising out of Southampton. I talked her into this cruise because I said there was more room in Business-Class. I hope I'm still alive after the cruise/flight. LOL

I don't know if your wife will like flying first/business or not. If it is international, it will probably be those "pod" compartmentalized seats that recline flat, or almost so. Domestic flights sometimes just have large, reclining seats with enough leg room to allow people to get in and out (as all airline seats should, for safety reasons if nothing else) . When we flew Denver to Miami and back on United for our recent cruise (a 3 1/4 hour flight) we were in first/business and the plane had those nice pod seats. Enjoyed it, but for a flight of that length the large, roomy reclining seats would have been fine if less costly. But it was either the international-type pods or the cattle car in economy, with nothing in between.

I don't know if your wife will like flying first/business or not. If it is international, it will probably be those "pod" compartmentalized seats that recline flat, or almost so. Domestic flights sometimes just have large, reclining seats with enough leg room to allow people to get in and out (as all airline seats should, for safety reasons if nothing else) . When we flew Denver to Miami and back on United for our recent cruise (a 3 1/4 hour flight) we were in first/business and the plane had those nice pod seats. Enjoyed it, but for a flight of that length the large, roomy reclining seats would have been fine if less costly. But it was either the international-type pods or the cattle car in economy, with nothing in between.

We fly London to NYC which hopefully will be the pods then return from Iceland to London in the more comfy seats. The return is only 2 1/2 hours so shouldn't be too bad.

gary,

If your Iceland to London leg is on Iceland air, your business/first seats will be just the larger seats that recline a bit, with more leg room. We've been on Iceland Air, and those seats are very suitable for a 2-3 hour flight -- at least to us.

gary,

If your Iceland to London leg is on Iceland air, your business/first seats will be just the larger seats that recline a bit, with more leg room. We've been on Iceland Air, and those seats are very suitable for a 2-3 hour flight -- at least to us.

Thanks Rich - that is kind of what I am expecting but we haven't been told who the airline will be yet.

Quote: "Assumed that you paid a deviation fee I order to select your flights. IMO, it is worth the deviation fee in in order to select your airline and flight 270 days in advance."

Yes, we did pay the deviation fee plus a small additional cost which we feel is well worth allowing us to fly out of our home airport. We selected our flights, our TA called Regent and they booked us. Very easy, we are happy.

Quote: "Assumed that you paid a deviation fee I order to select your flights. IMO, it is worth the deviation fee in in order to select your airline and flight 270 days in advance."

Yes, we did pay the deviation fee plus a small additional cost which we feel is well worth allowing us to fly out of our home airport. We selected our flights, our TA called Regent and they booked us. Very easy, we are happy.

Working with your TA is, IMO, the best way to do deviation. We always submit a couple of flight itineraries to our TA who works with Regent. Almost always one of our two itineraries are approved. It is worth the additional fee(s) to not have to wait to learn what flights Regent decides to put you on. Besides, when you are paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, $175/person isn't much for piece of mind.