Cash and gratuities

I was not to the one to book our cruise (Conquest on 4/1! So close!) and the person that did, didn't select to prepay the gratuities. I was planning on putting down a small amount of cash to avoid a hold on my credit card as we already have on-board credit. Will I be able to pay my gratuities on a credit card? Can I do this at any point during the cruise or will I have to wait until the end? We have normally added our gratuities in at booking so this is new to me and I'm trying to plan!

If you want, you can call Carnival and go ahead and pay your gratuities now. Otherwise, they will be charged to your S&S. You can back your S&S with any combination of cash, gift cards, and credit cards. They will use OBC first, then cash/gift cards, then credit card.

Tips are added to your account daily, but NOTHING is actually charged to your credit card until the cruise is over. They don't put "holds" on credit cards, but they do on DEBIT cards...so don't use a debit! If you use a credit card on the ship, and decide to pay it off in cash, you can do that, too....just do it sometimes during the last full day, as there will be lines from dinnertime onward!

If you want, you can call Carnival and go ahead and pay your gratuities now. Otherwise, they will be charged to your S&S. You can back your S&S with any combination of cash, gift cards, and credit cards. They will use OBC first, then cash/gift cards, then credit card.

You can only prepay gratuities over the phone with Carnival if everyone in your cabin prepays gratuities. So if you are sharing a cabin, all or none situation as far as a phone payment.

At check in, since you are establishing an account, individuals can pay, if desired.

I was not to the one to book our cruise (Conquest on 4/1! So close!) and the person that did, didn't select to prepay the gratuities. I was planning on putting down a small amount of cash to avoid a hold on my credit card as we already have on-board credit. Will I be able to pay my gratuities on a credit card? Can I do this at any point during the cruise or will I have to wait until the end? We have normally added our gratuities in at booking so this is new to me and I'm trying to plan!

We only us Cash for our account. We tell them when checking in we will deposit it once onboard and they are fine with that. We have always had OBC too and that gets used first. I go and check our balance at the red machine on ship a couple of times a day and when I need to put money in if we are getting low. They process tips to your account not sure what day but just keep in mind you need that amount on your account to cover it. We have never had a problem with a cash account.

We only us Cash for our account. We tell them when checking in we will deposit it once onboard and they are fine with that. We have always had OBC too and that gets used first. I go and check our balance at the red machine on ship a couple of times a day and when I need to put money in if we are getting low. They process tips to your account not sure what day but just keep in mind you need that amount on your account to cover it. We have never had a problem with a cash account.

same, no issues

Tips are added to your account daily, but NOTHING is actually charged to your credit card until the cruise is over. They don't put "holds" on credit cards, but they do on DEBIT cards...so don't use a debit! If you use a credit card on the ship, and decide to pay it off in cash, you can do that, too....just do it sometimes during the last full day, as there will be lines from dinnertime onward!

They do put holds on credit cards. I had more than a dozen on my last cruise. They just clear quicker.

Aren't the tips added to your account for the whole week on day 2 of the cruise? They used to be anyway.

Can anybody answer this question. I know the person who posted this information won't answer.

Bill

That's my question too. If we prepay tips, what OTHER tips are we paying once on board?

just if you order drink at bar unless you have cheers and have prepaid those. After that....it's optional

That's my question too. If we prepay tips, what OTHER tips are we paying once on board?

You will pay an added gratuity on each drink purchased (unless you have Cheers, then you paid it as a whole when you purchased the package). Other gratuities that you might make in cash include room service, porters, and anyone who performs an extra service for you. These are not added to your S&S (although you could in the case of room service).

Aren't the tips added to your account for the whole week on day 2 of the cruise? They used to be anyway.

Can anybody answer this question. I know the person who posted this information won't answer.

Bill

Yes, they put the entire amount on your account usually on day 2. After that you can adjust it any way you like, if you wish.

They don't put "holds" on credit cards,

This is incorrect ! They do put holds on credit cards, but unlike a debit card, the hold goes against your credit limit.

No actual funds are impacted like with a debit card hold which locks up part of the funds in the account the debit card is associated with.

Thank you

quote=Schoifmom;52488031]You will pay an added gratuity on each drink purchased (unless you have Cheers, then you paid it as a whole when you purchased the package). Other gratuities that you might make in cash include room service, porters, and anyone who performs an extra service for you. These are not added to your S&S (although you could in the case of room service).

You will pay an added gratuity on each drink purchased (unless you have Cheers, then you paid it as a whole when you purchased the package).

They also automatically add on the 15% gratuity on each drink purchased, so you do not have to worry about trying to figure it out when they bring the receipt to you to sign. It is clearly listed on the receipt so you can see what you are paying, you just have to write in an amount if you want to tip in addition to that 15%.