Can UberXL fit 4 girls w/ luggage?

KYWEST1

Sorry...don't know much about Uber. We are flying into FLL and heading to our hotel in South Beach day before cruise. Most of the cheaper Shuttles go directly to port or only airport hotels. Found a shuttle that can take us to our hotel but it's $78 plus 20% tip ($94 ttl) Figured Uber would be less if they could fit us. Limos are more and don't want to rent a car since it's more to park. Figured on a taxi to the port the day of (maybe rental would be cheaper in the long run?)

Thx for any feedback!

UberXL is usually an SUV or mini-van, so it should fit 4 plus bags (if all 4 pack like my wife it might be a bit of a squeeze)

You can get an estimate of the Uber fare by plugging the hotel address into this site: http://uberestimate.com/

Thank you so much!! And yes, we probably all pack like your wife! ;p

Alamo has a minivan for $55 (base price) / $70 (with taxes) for many dates on your route.

Pick up at FLL / Drop off at MIA airport.

They will shuttle you to the ship when you drop off the vehicle from their Miami airport location.

Budget is about the same price as Alamo, except you would need to pick up at FLL, and drop off at their 2nd Street location in downtown Miami. (Type P2F in the box for the drop off location, and their system should give you the correct location). They will also shuttle you to the ship when you drop off the vehicle.

This would be an easier drive from South Beach on the morning of the cruise than to Alamo's airport location.

Budget is about the same price as Alamo, except you would need to pick up at FLL, and drop off at their 2nd Street location in downtown Miami. (Type P2F in the box for the drop off location, and their system should give you the correct location). They will also shuttle you to the ship when you drop off the vehicle.

This would be an easier drive from South Beach on the morning of the cruise than to Alamo's airport location.

Thanks so much for the info!! I'm thinking this might be the best answer. UberXL is expensive plus we would have to take it again from our hotel to the port the next day.

Thanks so much for the info!! I'm thinking this might be the best answer. UberXL is expensive plus we would have to take it again from our hotel to the port the next day.

No problem!

Also - Gas in downtown Miami is a pain.... as far as refilling with gas if renting from Budget, here are the 2 best options:

1. Most convenient - if you have driven < 75 miles, don't refill, and pay the $13.99 fueling fee.

2. As you make the drive from South Beach to Downtown / 2nd street to drop off the car, fill the car with gas while in South Beach at one of the 2 stations on 5th street.... These are the last stations you will encounter on that route, as there are basically no gas stations in the heart of downtown Miami. Continue down 5th street, which turns into the MacArthur Causeway into downtown Miami. Show the receipt when you return the car, or you will be charged the $13.99 mentioned on option 1.

If they have parking available most SB hotels will charge $25-30+/day for parking. I'd keep it simple and take another look at UberXL

Sounds like both a logistics and math problem!

And those right along the beach can charge $40/day. There are also public parking garages in South Beach that charge about $20/day: http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/scroll.aspx?id=30958 and http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/scroll.aspx?id=30992. On the latter click on the "Click here for Garage Fees."

If you do go the rental car route and want to avoid parking fees one person can drop off everyone at the SB hotel and return the car to the airport and then take the Miami beach Airport Express bus (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp) back to SB. That will take more than an hour (depending on how long you need to wait for the express bus). The next morning, take Uber to the port.

I agree with John - just go with the Uber XL and don't overpack!

If they have parking available most SB hotels will charge $25-30+/day for parking. I'd keep it simple and take another look at UberXL

I agree. Split the cost between the four of you and go for uberxl convenience. You don't need a car in sobe. Driving and parking isn't easy or cheap.

Do you have a hotel booked?

Keep it easy and don't rent a car. Way too much headache between driving, finding parking, paying for parking, returning the car, shuttles, etc.

Uber XL must be a 7 passenger vehicle. The people will fit but the bags may not. Most drivers won't let you put a suitcase in an empty seat so be prepared for that. XL is roughly 2x the cost of Uber X so splitting up between two vehicles is an option too.

We did an UberXL for our cruise on 2/26. We ended up with a Chrysler Town & Country minivan that held our three suitcases (standing up) and an extra tote bag or two in the back. It worked well for us (three people). We just went from the hotel to the port and my friend used the app, so I'm not sure of the cost.

Honestly, renting a car seems more trouble that it's worth. I would just pay the extra cost for someone to drive me where I am going. We've done both shuttle services (QLS) and car services (Larry's Limos) and both have been great and worth the money.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the great info. Decided to forgo the car rental headache and looked again into shuttles that go directly to South beach hotel. Quality Limo Service (QLS) was $68 for a shared shuttle. I then decided that I don't want to spend my valuable pre-cruise day picking/dropping people off, so we're going the UberXL route for just a little more. We leave a week from today and I can't wait! Thanks again for all the input :D