Flying into LGA on Departure Day

tchrsbnz

I will be cruising on NCL in October. This is my first solo vacation ever. To save money, I am flying in the day of the cruise. My flight is expected to arrive at 8:30am. Will I be able to navigate the airport to find my luggage, find transportation to the Manhattan port, and still be able to be there fairly early? Any suggestions that might ease my anxiety?

I will be cruising on NCL in October. This is my first solo vacation ever. To save money, I am flying in the day of the cruise. My flight is expected to arrive at 8:30am. Will I be able to navigate the airport to find my luggage, find transportation to the Manhattan port, and still be able to be there fairly early? Any suggestions that might ease my anxiety?

It looks like you're flying in the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. Sundays are the lowest traffic day of the week, particularly in the middle of a 3 day weekend.

Did you buy independent cruise insurance that will cover your trip from door to door?

It looks like you're flying in the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. Sundays are the lowest traffic day of the week, particularly in the middle of a 3 day weekend.

Did you buy independent cruise insurance that will cover your trip from door to door?

That's good to know! I will be flying in on Sunday. I didn't buy insurance, but I might look into that. I've always flown in a day early with no problems, and I'm wishing I'd done it this time. It might be worth it just to bite the bullet and change my reservation.

I live 15 minutes away from LaGuardia.

Realistically, flights are often delayed arriving and departing from LaGuardia, although at that early hour it shouldn't be too bad.

In terms of finding your luggage, there should be no problem as luggage retrieval is easy.

Currently there is massive construction going on at the airport and on any given day traffic can be severely backed up at the airport both going in and coming out. Traffic in and out of the airport and on the adjacent parkway is generally a mess abut varies from day to day

( some days it is not bad and other days it is horrendous). Construction will be going on for several more years. If you plan on taking a cab to the port I highly recommend hiring a car service prior to your flight as cabs often have a hard time getting into the airport due to the construction.

If you are flying out the day of disembarkation, allow extra time to get to the airport.

NYC seems to always have major construction, I think you will be fine we do NYC every year always fly to LGA to stay at midtown and always take a taxi, always less than a hour. Also love cruising from NYC.

I live 15 minutes away from LaGuardia.

Realistically, flights are often delayed arriving and departing from LaGuardia, although at that early hour it shouldn't be too bad.

In terms of finding your luggage, there should be no problem as luggage retrieval is easy.

Currently there is massive construction going on at the airport and on any given day traffic can be severely backed up at the airport both going in and coming out. Traffic in and out of the airport and on the adjacent parkway is generally a mess abut varies from day to day

( some days it is not bad and other days it is horrendous). Construction will be going on for several more years. If you plan on taking a cab to the port I highly recommend hiring a car service prior to your flight as cabs often have a hard time getting into the airport due to the construction.

If you are flying out the day of disembarkation, allow extra time to get to the airport.

Thank you much for that helpful advice. I feel better now! I was originally considering getting NCL to pick me up, but I think I will go with a car service. I've been in huge airports, where I had to take trams from one section to another and I can't remember anything about LaGuardia. I guess for picking up luggage, I'll just follow the crowd getting off of my plane! October can't get here fast enough!

NYC seems to always have major construction, I think you will be fine we do NYC every year always fly to LGA to stay at midtown and always take a taxi, always less than a hour. Also love cruising from NYC.

I may be wrong, but I suspect you haven't flown into LGA since the reconstruction project started a few months ago. From time to time it has caused major delays...including at times people having to abandon their taxis on the Grand Central Parkway and walk into the airport in order to make their flights. This is not your typical NY City construction project.

Under the current circumstances I would never take a metered yellow taxi to or from LGA because getting stuck in the traffic while the meter is running could be very costly. Right now it's much better to use a car service with a flat fare.

Comic Con is often that weekend, jamming up the west side.

Pray your flight is on time -- it is hurricane season in NYC & we've had rough weather these past Octobers.

Personally I think you are being penny wise & pound foolish. Use a site like Hotwire. Pick a 3+ star hotel for 1 night in Times Square or Chelsea; you can get 1 for about $100 per night plus tax & fees. Give yourself a margin for error. Isn't worth $100 not to miss the ship because there was a flight delay?

I may be wrong, but I suspect you haven't flown into LGA since the reconstruction project started a few months ago. From time to time it has caused major delays...including at times people having to abandon their taxis on the Grand Central Parkway and walk into the airport in order to make their flights. This is not your typical NY City construction project.

Under the current circumstances I would never take a metered yellow taxi to or from LGA because getting stuck in the traffic while the meter is running could be very costly. Right now it's much better to use a car service with a flat fare.

Thanks for info, my last flight was May and will be back in May this year, I will get more info on area before we fly up memorial day weekend.

Comic Con is often that weekend, jamming up the west side.

Pray your flight is on time -- it is hurricane season in NYC & we've had rough weather these past Octobers.

Personally I think you are being penny wise & pound foolish. Use a site like Hotwire. Pick a 3+ star hotel for 1 night in Times Square or Chelsea; you can get 1 for about $100 per night plus tax & fees. Give yourself a margin for error. Isn't worth $100 not to miss the ship because there was a flight delay?

Thanks so much for that advice. I decided that I'll fly in the morning before. I just don't want to risk it. Besides, it would be a shame to go all the way to NYC and not be out and about in the city! I do plan to look for something in Times Square. Besides, I'd love to be one of the first at the port.

Thanks so much for that advice. I decided that I'll fly in the morning before. I just don't want to risk it. Besides, it would be a shame to go all the way to NYC and not be out and about in the city! I do plan to look for something in Times Square. Besides, I'd love to be one of the first at the port.

Great idea, while I think you could have flown in that day, why take a chance, so much to do and see in NYC

I'm leaning towards the Viceroy in Central Park or the Hyatt in Times Square. I don't know much about the different areas. The prices are reasonable, considering it's NYC. It's turning out to be an expensive vacation, but I only do it once a year. I might as well do it right!

I'm leaning towards the Viceroy in Central Park or the Hyatt in Times Square. I don't know much about the different areas. The prices are reasonable, considering it's NYC. It's turning out to be an expensive vacation, but I only do it once a year. I might as well do it right!

We always do the same we stay at Michelangelo , Hyatt looks like a great location very close to Times square but a few blocks off. lots to do , close to everything

What do you plan on doing when in NYC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have absolutely no idea! When I was on the Breakaway in 2013, I did all of the tourist attractions. So I'm going to keep reading the forum for ideas...I'm just going to spend one night, so I won't have lots of time.

Just talked to my brother who flew in LGA last month , other than a long walk to get to taxi he had no issues with the construction in the area, I guess it will be a gamble but is the closest airport we will be fling in end of May.

I am flying into Newark airport on the 5th for a Carnival Sunshine cruise on the 7th of October. I can't find a place in Manhattan less than $350 a night after taxes. Any body know of a decent place for less. Would like to stay in Manhattan for the sights, never been there before.

I am flying into Newark airport on the 5th for a Carnival Sunshine cruise on the 7th of October. I can't find a place in Manhattan less than $350 a night after taxes. Any body know of a decent place for less. Would like to stay in Manhattan for the sights, never been there before.

What is your realistic hotel budget per night?

One option would be to stay in downtown Newark and take the train and or PATH into Manhattan. What do you want to see in NYC?

Thanks for the reply, I thought I had checked most of the hotels and was accepting having to pay about $700.00 for the two nights in Manhattan. Then this thread came out and some were saying $100.00 a night and I said no way, then someone said $200.00 a night and that made me ask where. I was hoping but wasn't holding my breath.

Thanks for the reply, I thought I had checked most of the hotels and was accepting having to pay about $700.00 for the two nights in Manhattan. Then this thread came out and some were saying $100.00 a night and I said no way, then someone said $200.00 a night and that made me ask where. I was hoping but wasn't holding my breath.

You are traveling in October one of the busiest and expensive months. Plus you need your rooms during a weekday and that's when the rates are the highest because of business travel. If you were traveling during the summer on a weekend, you'd be able to find something in $200 range easy. Even in October on the weekend you probably could get a 3 star if you searched a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... some were saying $100.00 a night and I said no way, then someone said $200.00 a night and that made me ask where. I was hoping but wasn't holding my breath.
Think outside the box, the Times Square box and it can, it appeared, you can save some money. Hotel rates for a Thursday night will typically be higher but depending on location, Friday is usually weekend rate.

Using Hotwire, I see a # of 4-stars hotel in the Wall Street area, 80% or better ratings by travelers @ $180 to $190 nightly + taxes/fees, etc. Same if you look in Midtown East/Grand Central Station area - which is close enough to walk to Rockefeller Center & even TImes Square on a cool early October evening - similar deals like downtown Wall Street area, under $200 per night. MTA's subway trains and buses will easily get you around town. Some folks insist on staying with their loyal brands and/or use accumulated "points" so those are challenges.

What's important to you and what are your plans for those 2 nights ? Unless you plan to walk to the MCT on the West Coast to board Carnival, you can always get a car service or even do a taxi - traffic is typically light from Wall Street & an easy run up the old West Side Hwy, fares & tips - probably around $25 to $30 max.

When it's just the 2 of us traveling - we do book using Hotwire and have had very good to excellent results, saving us money with good night sleeps ... and, there are sites to help pinpoint the likely brand/hotel being available at these rates (and, there's always Priceline)