First timer Norwegian - Jewel

dingadong

First timer with this line, booked for Sydney to Hong Kong next February. Inside cabin, all tips hints gratefully received :D Is dining open in that you can eat when and where you want? also, how formal is the ship? Thanks in advance.

We were on the Jewel just last month for her 16-night Panama Canal cruise (Miami to LA). I have a very detailed review (with photos) at this link: (A lot of info about the ports, but also about the ship --- including food, entertainment --- as well.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

Yes, NCL's freestyle dining means you show up for dinner when and where you want. That's usually okay for the two MDRs, but now, with so many people having specialty dining packages, you will probably want to make reservations in advance for the specialty venues.

NCL is not a formal cruise line at all. No formal nights. Some nights are designated "dress up or not," and quite frankly, I can never tell the difference. You can even wear shorts to dinner, except in the larger MDR (Tsar's Palace) and Le Bistro. On our recent cruise, because it was so long (more clothes to pack) and we were in the tropics, for the first time ever we did not bring any clothes that were not comfortably casual. We ate just about everywhere as I said in my review, and we were dressed appropriately.

Couple of tips: the Great Outdoors, to the aft of the buffet, is a great place to hang out. It even has its own small buffet and a bar. Nice for sun or shade. For an indoor hangout, the Spinnaker Lounge, all the way forward on Deck 13 is beautiful. And don't miss the bridge viewing room on the port side of Deck 11, forward.

Have a great trip!

First timer with this line, booked for Sydney to Hong Kong next February. Inside cabin, all tips hints gratefully received :D Is dining open in that you can eat when and where you want? also, how formal is the ship? Thanks in advance.

First thing join your roll calls:-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373683

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373684

Lots of information on there.

Yes both MDRs are open for "Anytime Dining" called "Freestyle" on NCL

The only time that appears formal is the evening that there is a possibility of photos with the captain.

Mike

Pom by Birth, Coin Collecting retired Kiwi by Choice, Canuck by Family Ties.

Also cruising from Sydney to Tokyo

I have sailed the Breakaway class (Breakaway and Escape) But this will be my first time on the Jewel class. I understand the set up of the thermal suite is a little different than on the Breakaway class . Can you explain the similarities and differences and if you think it is still worth the money? Also what are you favorite things about the Jewel class in comparison to the Breakaway class?

I have not been on Breakaway class but the Jewel has the thermal loungers facing the windows with the pools and whirlpool behind the Sears. There are several showers (open, no curtain) with sound and color on ether side f the pool. There is a statin with water and tea, als fruit.mmoff either side are the male and female areas. Showers, toilets, locker area, plunge pool, sauna and steam. A nice relaxation area that looks out t sea. There is a TV in the area that is usually set to run nonstop the spa commercial. I have miss luck n getting someone t turn it off. There are hairdryers but no other real amenities other than soda and shampoo, towels and robes. Very relaxing place.

I have not been on Breakaway class but the Jewel has the thermal loungers facing the windows with the pools and whirlpool behind the Sears. There are several showers (open, no curtain) with sound and color on ether side f the pool. There is a statin with water and tea, als fruit.mmoff either side are the male and female areas. Showers, toilets, locker area, plunge pool, sauna and steam. A nice relaxation area that looks out t sea. There is a TV in the area that is usually set to run nonstop the spa commercial. I have miss luck n getting someone t turn it off. There are hairdryers but no other real amenities other than soda and shampoo, towels and robes. Very relaxing place.

Soda?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app