Early flight arrival

amystarfish

I have flown in the day before a cruise but in an effort to save money, we will be flying down the same day. Our flight lands at 9am in Fort Lauderdale and we will need to get to port of Miami. When you land so early, what do you typically do? Just go to the port and wait??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm wondering the same thing. I land at like 6am at FLL and cruise out of Miami. (Also - anyone have best suggestions for getting from FLL to Miami port? We are thinking of just renting a car for the morning, driving around, maybe getting some breakfast or something, and then dropping it off as close as we can to the port and taking an Uber for the rest of the distance.)

I have flown in the day before a cruise but in an effort to save money, we will be flying down the same day. Our flight lands at 9am in Fort Lauderdale and we will need to get to port of Miami. When you land so early, what do you typically do? Just go to the port and wait??

Don't understand your concern. If you land on time, it will be 9:30 by the time you get luggage . By the time you wait for your transportation and drive to Miami, best case is a 10:30, probably 11:00 arrival. What is your concern, waiting maybe 30 minutes?

When we arrive early like that we just do a one way car rental from the airport to the port area. There are several car rental places near the port with free shuttles to the cruise port. Just look up your departure port on the boards there's plenty of info about this there. It's nice having your own car. We usually visit a good mall and eat out somewhere nice. Plus you can stop by a store and pick up some wine and other essentials.

When we arrive early like that we just do a one way car rental from the airport to the port area. There are several car rental places near the port with free shuttles to the cruise port. Just look up your departure port on the boards there's plenty of info about this there. It's nice having your own car. We usually visit a good mall and eat out somewhere nice. Plus you can stop by a store and pick up some wine and other essentials.

Thanks! How much does this typically cost??

I'm wondering the same thing. I land at like 6am at FLL and cruise out of Miami. (Also - anyone have best suggestions for getting from FLL to Miami port? We are thinking of just renting a car for the morning, driving around, maybe getting some breakfast or something, and then dropping it off as close as we can to the port and taking an Uber for the rest of the distance.)

No need to use Uber. Go on the FLA departures board and search for car rental companies. You can pick up at FLL, drop off near the MIA port and use their shuttle to take you to the port.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Shared shuttles from FLL to POM run about $15 per person -- SAS, QLS, MJS and Go Airport are the most often suggested options.

Taxi from FLL to POM will run about $75+ Uber X will be about $40 -- if you have a larger group or someone packs like my wife :rolleyes: you might need UberXL

Renting a car is an option, but there are no car rentals at POM -- you can return to the MIA airport (National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttles to/from POM) or downtown offices close to POM (Avis, Hertz, etc.) --about a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle.

You aren't going to have any time to wait.

If anything, I'd be worried about making the ship. It is a giant PIA travelling between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

You land at nine and it will take you 45 minutes to get your luggage and get in a cab. You will not be at the port before 11 IF everything goes on time and your flight isn't delayed.

I've cruised 7 times before and am very aware of the amount of time it takes to get luggage and a taxi and travel between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Hence the extra time. Many guests off victory are reporting not being able to board until 2pm.

If you've done this before then you'd be aware of the fact that there will be no extra time. Again, you'll be pushing it to make the ship if anything happens.

I travel between the two cities a lot and it isn't unusual to sit in I95 traffic for hours.

If you have any extra time, you will be the exception rather than the norm.

Thanks! How much does this typically cost??

It varies according to the time of year but we usually spend $50-$80. I always price it out to see who has the best price via kayak or some other website that compare all the car companies. Then I look up discount codes for them and plug in the discount codes. It's extra work but well worth the extra savings. 😉