Wine question and classes offered on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

millacon

We are considering bringing "port" on board as our carry on wine but wondered if that would be a problem. Port is technically a wine but wondered if anyone had any trouble bringing port aboard?

Also, we are traveling to Alaska in May and wondered what sorts of classes are offered on board? I know the Test Kitchen won't be available yet but wondered what else might be an option. Are there fees for classes? Wine tastings or chocolate pairings?

Port sometimes gets flagged as fortified wine and disallowed. We've taken vintage port already, but only as part of a case or more, on which we were paying corkage on everything. I've heard of people who tried to take it as their corkage free bottle without success.

Even though you won't have the new America's Tasting Kitchen -- there will still be the ordinary free cooking demonstrations.

Cooking classes have a fee -- $12 per person -- limited to 12 people.

The regular wine tasting is $15 per person.

On the Amsterdam WC the first cooking class was free for 5-star mariners, but I was charged $29 per person for a second one. However, it included either an apron or a Rudi Sodamin cookbook you could keep. And after the class, we adjourned to the Pinnacle Grill where their chef prepared a lunch of the same dishes we made along with all the wine you wanted to drink. Not sure if all the classes are the same, but the ones on the WC were a good deal and quickly filled up.

Port Wine.

We carried six bottles of wine on board our last cruise.

The corkage table was right past the security scanners.

Those manning the table asked to see our wine.

I just opened the top of the backpack and exposed the six bottles.

I indicated the four bottles we wanted to pay corkage on and they put stickers on them.

They did not closely examine the bottles.

They probably would have noticed if there was a significant difference in bottles.

We prefer to carry six/seven bottles of wine on board. As long as you're buying wine of less than $12, you can break even on their wine packages. (Assuming your not a Fleet Mariner.)

We paid $165 for the six bottles on this cruise and another $72 for corkage. We had a selection of wines that would have been in the $50 to $100 range if purchased on board.

Edited by RocketMan275

Not sure if all the classes are the same, but the ones on the WC were a good deal and quickly filled up.

Do you have to pre-purchase the classes or do that once on board? If as a pre-purchase where do you find those classes? Thanks!

Do you have to pre-purchase the classes or do that once on board? If as a pre-purchase where do you find those classes? Thanks!

Purchase the classes onboard. Head to the front desk right after boarding. The classes often sell out long before they'd be in the daily program.