Freedom Eastern Trip Report - 2/18/17 – Eight Days THIS Week w/ lots of photos!

Saw some cool ropes on the way back – not 100% sure why but some people like rope perspective shots. :-) Back onboard by 2:30

33229054275_ddc15a35bd_b.jpg

to be continued…

Haha, yes, I agree. Wonder what dork would take pictures of these lines? Must be some weirdo that likes Sir Mix A lot rap music. :p

31573283634_9cc7c3c5ac_b.jpg

32415789715_666ee65c58_b.jpg

32177637301_6eee81c9e7_b.jpg

Day 4 – Into the “jungle” (cont)

We were up there by the tower for around 20 or so minutes, then we started back down to lower elevations. On the way down we stopped an another scenic spot, La Coca falls. Sounded like a great name, until I noticed that it was not actually flowing with Coca-Cola… :-(

33248818606_c8a3c7f1a8_b.jpg

There are tons of thick bamboo stalk growths all over the rainforest that we noticed on the drive. Here’s one that was close to where we parked to see the waterfall

33248819496_1350e0b62a_b.jpg

There’s a bridge that goes over the stream below the falls – pretty cool view of all the things growing down there

33248820096_17dbb6fbab_b.jpg

After leaving the falls area, which admittedly didn’t have a lot of water falling off of it, we started out drive out of the rainforest and back towards the pier. On the way we stopped at what was definitely a pre-determined place (all 3 tour busses stopped) in front of a store for souvenirs, drinks, restrooms, etc. I of course had to get a Diet Coke and also noticed something that I had never seen before in the states. My son loves sour cream and onion chips, but these would have been a jackpot for him!

32475188293_0c869fc28c_b.jpg

After a not too long drive where we got to see some of the city, we arrived back at the port. All in all, it was a good excursion and for the price it seemed like a good deal, though next time we are in Puerto Rico, we will be doing something on our own.

33289794035_3ba0a284f2_b.jpg

Here’s another rope perspective shot. Didn’t have enough time to get a better angle. I was already getting odd looks from the group. :-)

33289794625_3459306165_b.jpg

to be continued…

In my last post you could see by the ropes that we were heading back to the ship after the tour. We didn’t take any extra time in San Juan. The other three in our group had not seen the ice show (Freedomice.com – could they have come up with a dumber name?), so we went back to be to the ice rink in time for the 6pm show.

Here’s where I log one of my few complaints from the cruise. This was day four of eight and the last day of two ice show days. Why have both ice shows (6p & 8p) on this day during the time in port for San Juan? Why not on either of the 2 upcoming sea days? The later one at 8pm conflicted with our late dinner so we had to go to the 6pm one

Below are photos from the ice show. Show was good. Unbelievable that they can do all of that on such a small rink! Camera did great in low light; unfortunately, best photo opportunities were hindered by a very tall guy sitting right in front of me that is featured in a few of the photos:

32906951570_e45c850e95_b.jpg

33289811315_ed1e82ac33_b.jpg

33289811655_e8ff188c63_b.jpg

33161505241_15e8c1c727_b.jpg

33161505741_7ce966734b_b.jpg

33161506261_0485383d8f_b.jpg

to be continued…

After the ice show, we headed to the MDR for a later dinner (for us) than the other 7 nights. I didn't get a photo of the menu but there was nothing either positive or negative of note to mention. I will mention that because of the later time, and being on MTD, we did not get our usual wait staff of Franklin & Princess. It was still good service, but not as good as with the pair that we know and that know us already.

After dinner but before sailing away from San Juan, I had some extra time, so I went up top to get some photos of the "Freedom at night". I think they turned out pretty good, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that :-)

33161506541_4979d1b984_b.jpg

Looking across port at the HAL Eurodam through a Freedom life preserver from two different focal perspectives:

33161507261_0a1326cea1_b.jpg

33161508211_7a9a773090_b.jpg

Neatly lit building near port - not sure which one

33161509351_a6e4115379_b.jpg

Hotel across the street from port. I took this one through the deck glass and the picture caught the reflection of part of the ship that was behind me – photo illusion! :-)

33161510371_d1cc7260d2_b.jpg

Another building on the other side of the port with cool lighting

33161510781_732fa39a59_b.jpg

to be continued…

After dinner but before sailing away from San Juan, I had some extra time, so I went up top to get some photos of the "Freedom at night". I think they turned out pretty good, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that :-)

33161506541_4979d1b984_b.jpg

How did you get that? I tried but could never get a good enough angle. Maybe you have longer arms than I do.

I love climbing towers, lighthouses, bell towers, domes, etc. Heck, I used to even look forward to climbing Nassau's water tower back when it was open. I would have been disappointed to find this tower closed and not be able to climb.

You got that right - I didn't know about the tower until we got there, but I was pretty bummed to find out that it was already closed for the day! :(

Haha, yes, I agree. Wonder what dork would take pictures of these lines? Must be some weirdo that likes Sir Mix A lot rap music. :p

I believe I have you to blame for me starting to notice and photograph these... :D

Apologies to those that are following along with my trip report. I know it seemed like I dropped off the grid for a week. For me it felt like it!

I intended to leave last Wednesday (from Atlanta) to pick up my daughter out at college in Idaho and was a victim of the weather situation and it was an overall very bad week / weekend.

Anyway, I intend to get caught up on my review posts as soon as possible and now I definitely prefer cruising to flying! :o

Apologies to those that are following along with my trip report. I know it seemed like I dropped off the grid for a week. For me it felt like it!

I intended to leave last Wednesday (from Atlanta) to pick up my daughter out at college in Idaho and was a victim of the weather situation and it was an overall very bad week / weekend.

Anyway, I intend to get caught up on my review posts as soon as possible and now I definitely prefer cruising to flying! :o

I hope you were not flying United and be dragged off the plane. ;p

Following along. So great that you are able to add a day at Disney...My favorite 2 vacations...The park and a cruise! Looking forward to hearing more. Enjoy!

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Oh me too! Its so hard having my obsessions at war with each other! What to pick? Lol.....Jane

Oh me too! Its so hard having my obsessions at war with each other! What to pick? Lol.....Jane

We've been rotating. WDW 2014. Allure last April. Disneyland this summer (first time). Symphony 2019. Hoping DH won't want to venture elsewhere...lol. :)

We've been rotating. WDW 2014. Allure last April. Disneyland this summer (first time). Symphony 2019. Hoping DH won't want to venture elsewhere...lol. :)

Us too! 2014 was year of disney (my one and only marathon, then family trip, then just dh and i), 2015 was first cruise ever on spring break Vision, 2016 was spring break Freedom and august anniversary Adventure and this past spring break was disney again! Next spring break will be freedom! How do you like the big ships? I just couldn't justify oasis after freedom was half the price (with a downgrade from balcony to outside view). Jane

Us too! 2014 was year of disney (my one and only marathon, then family trip, then just dh and i), 2015 was first cruise ever on spring break Vision, 2016 was spring break Freedom and august anniversary Adventure and this past spring break was disney again! Next spring break will be freedom! How do you like the big ships? I just couldn't justify oasis after freedom was half the price (with a downgrade from balcony to outside view). Jane

That's awesone. Great switching between them. :D

We love the big ships...did Allure and have Symphony booked. You can't beat the shows and Allure didn't feel overcrowded. It's funny too since when we went on Voyager in 2001, it was the largest ship in the world. Freedom looks amazing too though (and love the OP's report here)...and we would definitive be very happy on it as well. All very family friendly and all around amazing ships.

Wrapping up the night photos from the top deck, here are acouple of shots of the iconic crown & anchor logo. In this photo, it looks like it’s floating in air

33161511811_99582be129_b.jpg

Another angle with a little more backlighting

33161512101_dbf3de2353_b.jpg

Here is the main pool area at night. Very empty – likely because of the late departure from San Juan

33289848835_a937474e17_b.jpg

Night time at the solarium. Plenty of chairs available currently!

33289849905_57da20b0f1_b.jpg

Up on the top sundeck , I found some of the old chairs hiding. Anyone miss these? No, me neither! Photo a little blurry because of the bad lighting – they want to keep these hidden! :-)

33161511021_ab67f93303_b.jpg

Our group re-convened for the Love & Marriage game show in the Arcadia at 10:00. For those not familiar, it is a take on the old Newlywed Game TV show, but in this case, they have three couples (newlywed, middle age, and married the longest). It went as it usually does, where the oldest couple gives the funniest and sometimes most racy answers. :-)

After that we called it a night but not before finding our towel of the day. The stingray bed hog!

33248874496_6afc16c199_b.jpg

Tomorrow is St. Maarten and a private tour adventure!

• 1 month later...

Day 3 – “Zipping” through Labadee (cont)

A view of the front of Freedom from the bow. Not sure if there are any other nerdy sci-fi fans besides me that are reading through, but this view of Freedom has always reminded me of Dr. Who’s arch enemies – the Daleks… :-)

32384885954_66e1af130e_b.jpg

Definitely a kissing cousin to the Daleks. But please don't exterminate this one! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Fletch - you only made it to day 4 - hope everything is ok ?

We will going on this cruise itinerary April '18 - looking forward to see in you have info on St Kitts and St Maarten.

Thanks

Yeah, Fletch,

How you doing, buddy? Is everything fine? I noticed from your history that you haven't posted anything here on CC the past 2 plus months. Hope all is well and you are just too busy with real life and just doesn't doesn't have time for CC.

I'm one of the many folks that hope you can finish this trip report as I am starting to do research for my next cruise and I can take a look at your pictures and steal your ideas and claim them to be mine for my next trip report...;p

H