Our Carnival Pride Repo Journeys Cruise (with pics) - 2/26/17

Jamman54

We have arrived at the banana plantation…..

IMG_1424-X2.jpg

The banana stalks are wrapped in blue bags. This keeps the insecticides from washing away, and helps prevent cross contamination in the event a plant becomes diseased. Jose explains that if several plants become diseased, they will burn down an acre of plants to stop it from spreading…..

IMG_1422-X2.jpg

IMG_1423-X2.jpg

The tour is now heading to the rain forest. Along the way we pass the University of Costa Rica……

IMG_1438-X2.jpg

Recognize any of these names?

IMG_1439-X2.jpg

IMG_1441-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Ok I have question I been trying to get an answer to about the free bottle of wine. Our cruise will not be leaving the first port (Long Beach/LA) until 6pm:(, but this is a two week Alaskan on the Splendor 2018:hearteyes:. Now will the free bottle of wine be the first night only (the night we leave at 6pm), or will it be the next night? My DW and I will try the steak house at least once (twice if we like it). We usually try and look ahead at the MDR menus to see which night (for us food wise) would be a good night to book the steak house. However in light of hearing they give you a free bottle of wine the first night, I think we should just book it the free wine night!..... winner, winner, chicken dinner! Although i'm sure the free bottle is a cheap bottle, but hey its FREE. Not even sure if the MDR will be open on the first night leaving this late??

The tour starts in the city of Limon itself. Jose tells us about all the points of interest. Here is an open market…..

IMG_1379-X2.jpg

A typical city street……

IMG_1381-X2.jpg

There is barbed wire everywhere. Jose explains that the people use it to protect their possessions, not themselves, and that the city is perfectly safe. Really?

IMG_1382-X2.jpg

Here is the largest Cathedral in Limon, along with the Rectory…..

IMG_1389-X2.jpg

IMG_1385-X2.jpg

As with any busy city there is a lot of traffic. Our tour through the city took a long time because of the traffic…..

IMG_1392-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

We were aboard Carnival Liberty in Limon 10 years ago when this happened: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022300178.html. This crew as very tight-lipped about it, although everyone heard rumors about what happened. Two days later, we had the news on in our cabin and they did a segment on it Really surreal.

Dole is shutting down their pineapple farms in Hawaii and moving to locations outside the US. Do they grow pineapple in Costa Rica?

They grow a lot of pineapples in Costa Rica.

Ok I have question I been trying to get an answer to about the free bottle of wine. Our cruise will not be leaving the first port (Long Beach/LA) until 6pm:(, but this is a two week Alaskan on the Splendor 2018:hearteyes:. Now will the free bottle of wine be the first night only (the night we leave at 6pm), or will it be the next night? My DW and I will try the steak house at least once (twice if we like it). We usually try and look ahead at the MDR menus to see which night (for us food wise) would be a good night to book the steak house. However in light of hearing they give you a free bottle of wine the first night, I think we should just book it the free wine night!..... winner, winner, chicken dinner! Although i'm sure the free bottle is a cheap bottle, but hey its FREE. Not even sure if the MDR will be open on the first night leaving this late??

Even though the Splendor doesn't sail until 6pm, the Steakhouse will be open the first night so they will be giving you the free bottle if you go that night. You can also order a better bottle of wine for 50% off.

That's scary about the barbed wire. I signed up for the gondola ride through the rainforest. That was pretty cool - I saw a colorful frog at the entrance to the park. I saw a red one too, but he was very shy and wouldn't let me take his picture.:D

enhance

That's scary about the barbed wire. I signed up for the gondola ride through the rainforest. That was pretty cool - I saw a colorful frog at the entrance to the park. I saw a red one too, but he was very shy and wouldn't let me take his picture.:D

What perfect timing as I'm about to post about our journey to the rainforest. What an awesome picture. Thanks for sharing! :)

Jamman I love you I want to be you. I want to post as good a picture review as you when I leave the Ecstasy on 9/15 and the Pride on 11/19. I always wondered what I would do when I grow up. Now that I'm 61 and about to retire in two months, right after my 62nd birthday, I finally know. I want to cruise and be a cruise critic blogger. I will learn from the masters. Seriously, I'm loving this. More please. Have you done an Ecstasy review?

Heyyyyyy my husband and I will be on that Carnival Pride in November with you!! :)

If you end up writing a review, let me know. I dont usually wrote any reviews, but i can send you some of the pictures i take to use in yours if you would like!

We are heading to the Tortuguero Rainforest……

IMG_1442-X2.jpg

There are many rivers and canals here that can be explored. Here is a dock where you can board a boat to explore the area…..

IMG_1445-X2.jpg

Our bus arrives at a private reserve…….

IMG_1448-X2.jpg

We are greeted with live music……

IMG_1449-X2.jpg

Here you can get free water and lemonade, use the restroom, and of course there is a gift shop…..

IMG_1452-X2.jpg

IMG_1451-X2.jpg

To be continued…….

We have boarded a boat to explore the rain forest by river…..

IMG_1456-X2.jpg

Jose is still our guide, and will be for the entire time…..

IMG_1458-X2.jpg

Here are some views from along the river…..

IMG_1459-X2.jpg

IMG_1463-X2.jpg

IMG_1464-X2.jpg

IMG_1466-X2.jpg

To be continued……

Here are a few shots of a three toed sloth. This sloth was way up at the top of a tree, but Patti was able to zoom in for a close up…..

IMG_1475-X2.jpg

IMG_1477-X2.jpg

Here are some more views from along the river……

IMG_1478-X2.jpg

IMG_1481-X2.jpg

IMG_1488-X2.jpg

IMG_1489-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Jose said that this was a two toed sloth, though I don’t know how you can tell the difference from this far away. Again, Patti was able to zoom in for a close up…..

IMG_1490-X2.jpg

IMG_1492-X2.jpg

IMG_1493-X2.jpg

Here are a few more views along the water as we come to the end of the river portion of our tour…….

IMG_1496-X2.jpg

IMG_1498-X2.jpg

IMG_1505-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

After leaving the boat, Jose gathers us together for the walking part of the tour. We will be following a paved, slightly elevated path through the rain forest. Here, Jose shows us a wild banana. Those black seeds in the banana are very poisonous…..

IMG_1509-X2.jpg

Jose is handling some spooky looking spiders, which I can only assume are not poisonous!

IMG_1516-X2.jpg

IMG_1517-X2.jpg

IMG_1519-X2.jpg

Here is some of the flora and fauna along the pathway…..

IMG_1521-X2.jpg

IMG_1522-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

After we left the trail, we went back to the welcome center where there was fresh fruit waiting for us. Once refreshed, we boarded our bus to head back to Port Limon…..

IMG_1532-X2.jpg

IMG_1533-X2.jpg

Here are a few coastline views as we made our way back…..

IMG_1535-X2.jpg

IMG_1542-X2.jpg

Once back, Patti went over to check out the Souvenir Market, and I went back to the ship.

IMG_1545-X2.jpg

IMG_1549-X2.jpg

This tour for us was one of those been there, done that, kind of thing. We thought it took too long to finally get to the rain forest. I would give it 3 stars out of 5.

To be continued…..

Patti got these shots of the Carnival Pride docked in Port Limon, after leaving the Souvenir Market and heading back to the ship…..

IMG_1547-X2.jpg

IMG_1551-X2.jpg

IMG_1553-X2.jpg

Six hours later these guys are still banging away on the xylophone…..

IMG_1554-X2.jpg

The gangway of the Carnival Pride……

IMG_1555-X2.jpg

Once back on board, Patti got herself a chocolate mocha getaway…..

IMG_1558-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Patti and I met up and went to Guy’s Burgers for a snack, and then over to the Red Frog Rum Bar for a couple of drinks, before heading back to the cabin to watch sail away…..

IMG_1562-X2.jpg

IMG_1563-X2.jpg

IMG_1569-X2.jpg

IMG_1570-X2.jpg

IMG_1575-X2.jpg

IMG_1576-X2.jpg

To be continued……

Tonight, we are back in the Normandie Restaurant for dinner. Here are tonight’s menus…..

IMG_1581-X2.jpg

IMG_1582-X2.jpg

IMG_1583-X2.jpg

There is a table of ship’s officers nearby that Ken is attending to…..

IMG_1584-X2.jpg

We both had the crab melt as a starter…..

IMG_1588-X2.jpg

I also had the potato skins……

IMG_1589-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Patti also had a Caesar’s salad…..

IMG_1591-X2.jpg

For my mains I had the pork chop which was very good as usual, and the penne Newburg, which wasn’t that good…..

IMG_1592-X2.jpg

IMG_1593-X2.jpg

Patti had the chicken breast for her entrée……

IMG_1594-X2.jpg

Here is tonight’s dessert menu…..

IMG_1595-X2.jpg

Patti had butter pecan ice cream…..

IMG_1596-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Here are a few more Dr. Seuss celebration pictures…..

IMG_1626-X2.jpg

IMG_1629-X2.jpg

IMG_1631-X2.jpg

In the Taj Mahal tonight, was the comedy and ventriloquism of Phil Hughes. There were no comedy shows tonight, because comedian JR Brow, who was to fly into Costa Rica to join the ship, didn’t make it. After a walk around the ship, Patti and I made our way back to the cabin where we found tonight’s towel animal……

IMG_1638-X2.jpg

Coming up next: a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Simply Awesome!!!