cruise crud

aburnett

I have never been ill and only follow item 4.

Intrigued by the bathroom Item (presumably toilet as I havent seen a bath in any of the public rooms ) I have noticed that the toilets at the entrance to the Buffet snd in the Ensemble Lounge have fully manned cleaners . From what I have seen these toilets get better cleansing than the cabin.

My pet hate is walking into the cafe behind someone who 'declines' the hand sanitiser. I keep an eye on where they select their food from and give those stations a wide berth.

This January a Lady in front of me reached over and picked up some red peppers . The server politely remonstrated with her then she started shouting . Almost immediately a Maitre D type appeared and explained that the food should not be touched. Her response ?? "I am a Suite guest and can do as I please". Poor Maitre D struggled when my friend suggested locking her up in Luminae[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with giving wide berth to people you see not using hand sanitizer, and to those determined to use their hands as serving tongs at the buffet. There are those who think they are "only touching what they take" (bread, sandwich, cookies etc.) but in reality their hands touch the serving dish, and any food touching the item they take. Not cool.

Here's something that concerns me: When serving myself at the buffet, I pick up the serving utensil, place the food on my plate, and deposit the utensil back on the buffet so the handle that I just touched doesn't rest on the food. So many times I see people put the utensil back on the food with the handle resting on the food, thus distributing possible viruses and bacteria from the just-touched handle onto the food. I don't serve myself anything from a utensil that has been placed on the food in such a way that the handle is resting on the food. I can't understand why =X= doesn't recognize this and figure out a way to deal with it that prevents the possible spread of germs.

A votre sante

Betsy

We are about to take a 15 day Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal cruise and I want to enjoy every day-- without getting sick. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, do's or don'ts that help avoid catching something on board?

Thanks!

pack yourself a travel pharmacy...videos all over youtube......don't use ships hand sanitizers they are watered down... bring your own purell ..wash your hands with soap and water before eating .......hand rails , door knobs, tables, chairs..anything the public can touch...

before getting on ship same rules apply...airplanes and airports filthy. get purell wipe.....armrests...trays..are never rarely wiped (ask and steward they will tell you honestly) do not use the seat pocket or touch magazines or anything in seat pocket... Airplanes have recycled air so all the coughing ets...just saying......germs and bacteria can live up to 10 days on surfaces.......and people tend to touch their faces , nose, around mouths continuously ...you never think of it , just a motion we naturally do.

I know people don't want to get ill if they can prevent it. I don't judge people for whatever measures they think help them personally. But please, please don't judge others who bypass hand sanitizer. I truly have a very serious respiratory reaction when I breathe in the vapors of it. I don't have asthma but I have to have an inhaler in case I can't avoid breathing it in. Sometimes I just can't avoid it. If I breathe in a good amount I will literally cough and gasp for air as I sweat and my head pounds. This has lasted as long as 30 minutes. I have the same reaction to spray sunscreen which can literally blow to the other side of the pool and still be strong enough to affect me. I have ALWAYS washed my hands before eating whether at home or in public. I have even used the small crew sink when on ships that don't have a restroom right outside of the buffet. To some people, sanitizers can be very harmful. Please don't judge them for avoiding something like that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I've been on quite a few cruises and never gotten sick (knock on wood). I wash my hands alot and always before heading in any dining venue to eat. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Now, airplanes are a totally different situation....good thing I don't fly to many cruises any more :)

I so agree with your comment re 'not sick on ships'...but planes...! Just returned from Eclipse last week, sneezers on the plane and I, once again, have a cold after my cruise. Another poster had a good point... maybe run down with late nights and busy days.

Airborne may or may not have been shown to be effective in clinical trials, but if you believe it helps you it does.

The placebo effect if you will?

Vitamin C and zinc seem to be the main ingredients in over the counter cold treatments.

I personally think a large dose of vitamin C is probably a good thing once in awhile and would purchase the product with a pretty good understanding of what it actually does and does not do, no one is cheating me.

Best wishes for a healthy cruise.

It may be a placebo effect, but we're cruising on this coming Saturday, and on Sunday, I started dosing myself with 1000 units of Vitamin C each day. Just two weeks ago I was sick with that sinus/cold thing that's going around, so hopefully that won't happen again *knock wood*.

I'm also in the middle of my busiest work week of the year (pet sitter, spring break here in the Chicago suburbs), so my days have been long, and a little stressful. If I'm going to get run down, this is the week it would happen. I figure it can't hurt to give my immune system a little boost this week. :D

Edited by jules815