cruise crud

aburnett

I drink three cups of coffee before every time I fly and I've never gotten sick after a flight. So it must work for me. Although I do have to use the head a couple of times. ;p

I did have a flu shot this year before my last cruise but still got the sinus problem and cruise cough for a couple of days. Good thing I brought sinus pills and throat lozenges. The ship wanted over $18 for 12 sinus pills.

I drink three cups of coffee before every time I fly and I've never gotten sick after a flight. So it must work for me. Although I do have to use the head a couple of times. ;p

I did have a flu shot this year before my last cruise but still got the sinus problem and cruise cough for a couple of days. Good thing I brought sinus pills and throat lozenges. The ship wanted over $18 for 12 sinus pills.

Haha. LOVE it.

All of your suggestions are great and I really appreciate the. I'm going to be on a steroid (for RA) while on board and will be more susceptible to infection. I don't want to be crazy about it, but many of the things you mentioned will be easy to do and so helpful!!! Thanks a ton!:D

Say what you want about Airborne. My wife and I use it before plane trips and cruises and it works for us!

Very happy you believe it works for you.

According to the new labeling, even Airborne does not think it works.

"These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

Airborne may or may not have been shown to be effective in clinical trials, but if you believe it helps you it does.

The placebo effect if you will?

Vitamin C and zinc seem to be the main ingredients in over the counter cold treatments.

I personally think a large dose of vitamin C is probably a good thing once in awhile and would purchase the product with a pretty good understanding of what it actually does and does not do, no one is cheating me.

Best wishes for a healthy cruise.

I had a sk Jpouch surgery (Google if you need to know the details). I'm extra sensitive to stomach bugs, and if I do get one I have to get an IV for the dehydration, it's really bad. However, I travel all over the world, go I cruises and so on and have so far been lucky by just following common hygiene sense. I always bring a small pharmacy case, and certain cleaning supplies and a special hand sanitizer. Haven't had to use it as of yet, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I do worry about my risks, but I also believe in having fun and relaxing, just in a smart way. 😊

Airborne may or may not have been shown to be effective in clinical trials, but if you believe it helps you it does.

The placebo effect if you will?

Vitamin C and zinc seem to be the main ingredients in over the counter cold treatments.

I personally think a large dose of vitamin C is probably a good thing once in awhile and would purchase the product with a pretty good understanding of what it actually does and does not do, no one is cheating me.

Best wishes for a healthy cruise.

I agree with you about the potential benefits of a large dose of Vitamin C and Zinc. I just prefer to get the same or higher doses at a non brand name, much less expensive version which is as good a quality. You are just as correct to pay more if you feel like it. :)

Honestly, I think everyone should avoid recommending medications and supplements - whether prescription or OTC, unless you are a doctor. Check with your own MD for advice regarding those IMHO.

The best advice is that given related to washing hands thoroughly and frequently, avoid touching your face, and so on. Beyond that, there is really not a lot you can do. I follow all of the reasonable cleanliness advice, and yet have gotten bad UR infections on three of my last four cruises. Might have come from the cruise ship; might have come from the airplane - who knows. I generally am a very healthy person but there is only so much you can avoid. Since I think we are on the same cruise, I will keep my fingers crossed that we all stay healthy:)

Posters are mixing up at least three different classes of "disease":

1. Gastrointestinal illnesses (diarrhea and/or vomiting): the most common is norovirus but there are many other viruses, bacteria, and parasites that can cause problems. As one of my medical school professors told us, they are spread by "eating sh*t" - in other words, a person who is ill with a GI disease, wipes himself after using the bathroom and then touches things before thoroughly washing or disinfecting his hands, leaving the microscopic fecal particles laden with the germs on whatever he touches. Then you come along and touch those objects (e.g. in a public bathroom, the buffet line, a handrail, etc) and then you transfer them to your own mouth.

2. Respiratory illnesses: colds, influenza, sore throats and then the complications from those, like bronchitis, sinusitis, pneumonia, etc. The sick person touches his nose or eyes or coughs or sneezes or blows his nose and again nearby objects carry the offending germ, waiting for you to come along and transfer it to your own nose, eye, mouth, etc. So, in addition to hand washing/disinfecting, one should avoid touching handrails or anything else that many people's hands have been on. Using disinfectant wipes when first checking into your stateroom and wherever else you feel comfortable doing it is a reasonable thing to do. Flu shots do prevent about 50% of cases of true influenza, but the vast majority of illnesses on ships are not influenza, but other respiratory viruses.

3. Allergies: (I think this is what posters mean by "sinus"): Totally depends on what you are allergic to. Being at sea is generally good for pollen type allergies but going ashore will expose you to whatever is blooming there at that time. Dust and mold allergies are another story and depend on the cleanliness of the ship. So, bring whatever allergy medicines that you sometimes need at home.

As other posters have noted, all of the preventive medicines and "cures" for colds (Airborne, Zinc, etc.) have been shown to be statistically no better than a placebo, so I won't waste my money on them. However, I do realize that placebos are somewhat effective, so if you believe in your whatever, I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. One's immune system in resisting these things is dependent on a lot of things, but, in my opinion, sleep deprivation and stress are big culprits.

Bottom line: handwashing, touching as little as possible, good general health habits, and luck.

My 5 GOLDEN Rules of cruising for not getting ill:

1) Wipe down your stateroom after embarkation with Lysol wipes. Remotes, door handles, toilet handle, etc..

2) Never go to the bathroom anywhere but your own stateroom.

3) Do not shake hands with anyone.

4) Make use of ALL hand sanitizer stations, before and after touching any public use materials

5) Don't over indulge too much.

These have worked for me so far...

These are four superb rules.

- Joel

Posters are mixing up at least three different classes of "disease":

1. Gastrointestinal illnesses (diarrhea and/or vomiting): the most common is norovirus but there are many other viruses, bacteria, and parasites that can cause problems. As one of my medical school professors told us, they are spread by "eating sh*t" - in other words, a person who is ill with a GI disease, wipes himself after using the bathroom and then touches things before thoroughly washing or disinfecting his hands, leaving the microscopic fecal particles laden with the germs on whatever he touches. Then you come along and touch those objects (e.g. in a public bathroom, the buffet line, a handrail, etc) and then you transfer them to your own mouth.

2. Respiratory illnesses: colds, influenza, sore throats and then the complications from those, like bronchitis, sinusitis, pneumonia, etc. The sick person touches his nose or eyes or coughs or sneezes or blows his nose and again nearby objects carry the offending germ, waiting for you to come along and transfer it to your own nose, eye, mouth, etc. So, in addition to hand washing/disinfecting, one should avoid touching handrails or anything else that many people's hands have been on. Using disinfectant wipes when first checking into your stateroom and wherever else you feel comfortable doing it is a reasonable thing to do. Flu shots do prevent about 50% of cases of true influenza, but the vast majority of illnesses on ships are not influenza, but other respiratory viruses.

3. Allergies: (I think this is what posters mean by "sinus"): Totally depends on what you are allergic to. Being at sea is generally good for pollen type allergies but going ashore will expose you to whatever is blooming there at that time. Dust and mold allergies are another story and depend on the cleanliness of the ship. So, bring whatever allergy medicines that you sometimes need at home.

As other posters have noted, all of the preventive medicines and "cures" for colds (Airborne, Zinc, etc.) have been shown to be statistically no better than a placebo, so I won't waste my money on them. However, I do realize that placebos are somewhat effective, so if you believe in your whatever, I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. One's immune system in resisting these things is dependent on a lot of things, but, in my opinion, sleep deprivation and stress are big culprits.

Bottom line: handwashing, touching as little as possible, good general health habits, and luck.

Excellent post! I would also like to point out that people can get sick at home too, but it probably isn't remembered like it is when you are vacation.

I was an Xray technologist for 10 years before I moved to IT. I cared for very sick patients every day between the ER, and inpatients. I had two respiratory infections the whole time. I also cruised or took land vacations too. Now here's the shocker. I haven't used hand sanitizer in 9 years; not since I became so sensitive to it that I would have to use an inhaler if I breathed too much of it. I just washed my hands thoroughly and kept them away from my face. My coworkers turned back to handwashing too so they would not send me into an attack. They all remained very healthy too.

Our Infectious Disease physicians taught us that it is mostly the friction that removes germs from hands, whether you are washing with soap or rubbing hand sanitizer. They also pointed out that many things that can make you sick are not destroyed by sanitizers, or that they don't remain wet long enough to kill them. Their stance was that sanitizers should only be used as a last resort, and that proper handwashing was always preferred for caregivers.

And if you ever see someone holding their breath, rushing past the Purell stations trying to stay upwind of the vapor cloud, it will be me!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Our Infectious Disease physicians taught us that it is mostly the friction that removes germs from hands, whether you are washing with soap or rubbing hand sanitizer. They also pointed out that many things that can make you sick are not destroyed by sanitizers, or that they don't remain wet long enough to kill them. Their stance was that sanitizers should only be used as a last resort, and that proper handwashing was always preferred for caregivers.

And if you ever see someone holding their breath, rushing past the Purell stations trying to stay upwind of the vapor cloud, it will be me!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, that ^^^

Just did some research as we are preparing to board the Coral (which recently had a Noro outbreak).

There are probably too many potential contaminated surfaces to ever consider, along with railings, elevator buttons, serving tools and menus: salt & pepper shakers, tabletops, chair sides and back (as you pull them in or out), drink machines, door knobs .....

I do not use the sanitizers offered at the entrance to the dining venues. We recently purchased the Zylast product after much reading. It will not take the place of hand washing, but will supplement those efforts.

If there are a significant number of sick passengers, chances are that the crew has been impacted as well.

Remember, Noro is frequently passed through food that was contaminated by a sick prep worker. All of your best efforts can't stop that.

I vote for sterile nasal spray. I was very ill on our first Eclipse cruise with a 24 hr flu like symptom that left me with the worst cough that lasted about 3 weeks. Once I had read about 'cruise cough' I bought this nasal spray and have used it twice a day on cruise every since and not fell ill. My OH got a bad cough after our third Eclipse cruise and now uses the same nasal spray.

Have also read that hanging a wet hand towel in the cabin can help with the drying effect of the air con that makes you more susceptible to picking up airborn bugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I've been on quite a few cruises and never gotten sick (knock on wood). I wash my hands alot and always before heading in any dining venue to eat. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Now, airplanes are a totally different situation....good thing I don't fly to many cruises any more :)

Agree Anne, never been sick nor have my wife or kids on a cruise. Last thing besides laundry I am doing on a cruise is wipe down the cabin or other maintenance duties. I'm on vacation. Also, only a couple people have mentioned the possibility of getting sick on the plane, shore excursions, terminals etc. Quite frankly, most cases we don't know where these illnesses come from. Also, don't use the sanitizer because like many people depending on type I can break out.

When we travel any where, we use a probiotic called Kyolic Kyo-Dophilus Digestion and Immune Health Probiotic Supplement.. It seems to work but any Probiotic might do.

PS if you are a allergic type like me. It might help with that too, since using this product it might have helped my my life long allergies.

For what it's worth, we never get on a plane without thoroughly wiping down all surfaces we might touch around our seat with antibacterial wipes. Seat arms, TV buttons and screen, seat belt buckles, light switches.

As soon as we get to a hotel we do the same in the room...light switches, door handles, TV remote, phone.

Same for the cruise ship.

I was a teacher for years and learned to never touch mouth, nose or eyes with my fingers....too many sick kids! If my eye itches I use the hem of my shirt, or even of my skirt, or a tissue. Doing this one thing gives you a much better chance to stay healthy.

Agree with those who say wash hands often, don't go up and down the stairs holding on to the handrails (or if you do, wash hands right away), use antiseptic wipes after handling the menu....some people don't think the wipes work, but we have had good luck with them. I buy boxes of them on Amazon and never leave home without them.

I don't care what people think when they see me wiping stuff down! I can be the crazy, paranoid nut, but at least I won't be a sick nut! :D

I absolutely HATE when people recommend AIRBORNE. All you are doing by taking it is making the company richer and richer. Have you noticed their commercials claim absolutely nothing? This is because it does absolutely NOTHING. If you did not get ill during your cruise, it is NOT because of Airborne.

I'd been on a 3 cruise streak of getting the crud around the morning of day 5, and that's not missing any chances to wash my hands. DW is a Pharmacy Tech and her Pharmacist agrees completely with your opinion on Airborne. She said if I was going to take anything besides vitamins, use Zicam.

Did it, no crud after 11 days on the last trip. Zicam may not get the credit, but I'll keep that one up until it fails me.

My 5 GOLDEN Rules of cruising for not getting ill:

1) Wipe down your stateroom after embarkation with Lysol wipes. Remotes, door handles, toilet handle, etc..

2) Never go to the bathroom anywhere but your own stateroom.

3) Do not shake hands with anyone.

4) Make use of ALL hand sanitizer stations, before and after touching any public use materials

5) Don't over indulge too much.

These have worked for me so far...

I have never been ill and only follow item 4.

Intrigued by the bathroom Item (presumably toilet as I havent seen a bath in any of the public rooms ) I have noticed that the toilets at the entrance to the Buffet snd in the Ensemble Lounge have fully manned cleaners . From what I have seen these toilets get better cleansing than the cabin.

My pet hate is walking into the cafe behind someone who 'declines' the hand sanitiser. I keep an eye on where they select their food from and give those stations a wide berth.

This January a Lady in front of me reached over and picked up some red peppers . The server politely remonstrated with her then she started shouting . Almost immediately a Maitre D type appeared and explained that the food should not be touched. Her response ?? "I am a Suite guest and can do as I please". Poor Maitre D struggled when my friend suggested locking her up in Luminae[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been ill and only follow item 4.

My pet hate is walking into the cafe behind someone who 'declines' the hand sanitiser. I keep an eye on where they select their food from and give those stations a wide berth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Judge me if you must! :D

Put me on your "hated list". The sanitizers onboard wreck havoc on my skin (it seems to be alcohol based - which has little impact on viruses such as noro). I carry and use my own sanitizer, but prefer to practice frequent hand washing with soap and water (which has been shown to better protect against most viral and bacterial illnesses).

Hmmm .. ever wonder about the habits of the staff who work behind the stations?