Suite Class All Separate: How Do You Feel About That Concept?

Lastdance

Not a very pleasant reply to a reasonable explanation as to why somebody prefers not to be in a suite

Clearly you and I have different interpretations of the word "reasonable". It is one thing to say "we found the extra level of service a bit uncomfortable and unnecessary" but quite another to rant at length about things that are advertised up front as the hallmarks of the elevated service afforded to suite passengers (which no one forces you to use if you don't want to), as well as to demean the crew by calling them overbearing and sycophantic when they are just doing their job, and to strongly imply distaste for those who do enjoy these types of perks.

I simply responded to judgement with equal judgement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Clearly you and I have different interpretations of the word "reasonable". It is one thing to say "we found the extra level of service a bit uncomfortable and unnecessary" but quite another to rant at length about things that are advertised up front as the hallmarks of the elevated service afforded to suite passengers (which no one forces you to use if you don't want to), as well as to demean the crew by calling them overbearing and sycophantic when they are just doing their job, and to strongly imply distaste for those who do enjoy these types of perks.

I simply responded to judgement with equal judgement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Oh how *dare* the staff pay extra attention to us as they have been instructed. How *unfortunate* that we were directed to an exclusive area for pre-dinner cocktails where they were extra-nice to us. It is totally unfair that the fact we payed 5-10x more for this vacation was made in any way visible to other passengers, those poor lambs.

Please. You're allowed to enjoy nice things. You don't have to apologize for it.

Celebrity was once known for exceeding expectations, treating every guest like a Celebrity, pampering everyone with extra attention, lovely parties, great food and exceptional intuitive service....no apologies needed. And we did not have to pay extra ...still don't.

Actually, there once was a time that Celebrity service was special. When ships like the Horizon and Zenith had more intimate venues and more personal service. Then the masses began to cruise and Celebrity sold the small ships and launched their mega ships. Some of us went away to lines like Regent to get what we wanted in a vacation. With the introduction of the Suite Class, we can now get back some of what was lost. I agree with TribeHokie, if you want more, will pay more for it and stay out of everyone else/s way, it should not bother you. If you try it and don't like it, you don't have to buy it. I tell friends all the time that there are dozens of lines with varied level of product, so find what works for you. I left Celebrity at at time when thousands were coming. I am returning to get what I want. Sunday I board Silhouette in a Penthouse suite to get the vacation I want. A couple of thousand other folks will be boarding to hopefully get what they want. I hope we all get to Amsterdam with smiles on our faces and no animosity with our fellow passengers.

I love it when posters try to stir things up.

Suite class? ABSOLUTELY! I am most definitely NOT a wealthy woman but I have sailed in suites a couple of times and am booked in a Sky Suite on the Edge in April 2019.

Is there a class distinction? Who cares?

If you feel strongly about such things book yourself a cruise in a suite. Once you've enjoyed the suite life it's hard to go back.

Life is short - stay positive and happy and Happy Sails

No-one has mentioned school holidays, when many suites are booked by families.

Children in a more confined area? Are they allowed in the pool? In the Lounge for pre-dinner cocktails?

If I booked a suite, I would make sure it wasn't during school holidays - but then we are past the kiddie stage of our life:D

Oh how *dare* the staff pay extra attention to us as they have been instructed. How *unfortunate* that we were directed to an exclusive area for pre-dinner cocktails where they were extra-nice to us. It is totally unfair that the fact we payed 5-10x more for this vacation was made in any way visible to other passengers, those poor lambs.

Please. You're allowed to enjoy nice things. You don't have to apologize for it.

Actually, I absolutely agree with the poster you responded to and your sarcasm is really just an example of the differences between people who like to display their wealth and those that don't. Open displays of privilege are anathema to me and classless.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't believe anyone sailing on NCL with The Haven or MSC with The Yacht Club...anyone staying outside of those areas would say their experience was diminished by the suite class passengers' experience. So what could possibly be diminished for either cruiser?

I'm sure people outside Haven or Yacht Club probably never even knew those exclusive areas existed.

My only issue with them on NCL is something I discovered while pondering a Breakaway cruise for one of my breaks (it's hard to beat a subway ride to a ship I would think)... The Haven guests have their own outdoor area, but they were buying up the passes to the Vibe "beach" club, which is an adult-only area with weekly passes as well. When you look at the layout, the Vibe is next to the Haven area but separated by a wall. Didn't take a genius to figure out they're buying up the passes so that they don't have to hear noise in the area next to them - especially when they're posting pictures of their Vibe wristbands in reviews and then no pictures of the Vibe, then when asked about pictures of it say "Oh, we never went in there."

It's kind of sad because if they were not permitted to purchase the Vibe passes, I might have actually gone on the ship.

Then again, I wouldn't be going on Edge. So maybe it's not so bad. :)

I don't like the idea of a separate suite area. For the same price that they want for a suite on Celebrity, we could go on a smaller, more luxurious ship where everyone is a suite passenger.

I think I agree with you. We have cruised a couple times in Sky Suites as we like the bigger stateroom and balcony. We enjoy our quiet time there. We love Blu and now that Sky Suites are included in Luminé, we enjoyed that venue and the Michael's Club concierge service but not as enjoyable for pre dinner cocktail. Everyone stayed to themselves and didn't mingle as you would if you were sitting at one of the bars.

We enjoy X Solstice and Milinium class ships, but the Suite Class is getting extremely expensive so we are looking at Seabourne, Viking and others that offer 300-400 sqft cabins, all exclusive fine dining, excursions, drinks. It's all about the extra space and high-quality dinning for us, not being separate from the rest of the passengers.

As you could see on my expanded signature, our next three cruises will be on Viking, Oceana, and then celebrity in a sky suite on the Edge. All three of these will be first for us - we have been in an AQ cabin on the Silhouette but we are in a suite on the Celebrity cruise for the first time. We will be on the Viking Sun during its second sailing, so also a new ship. It will be interesting to see which provides the best experience, and will help us decide which to use for future travel.