Suite Class All Separate: How Do You Feel About That Concept?

Lastdance

This is absolutely correct. I left Celebrity because booking a suite only got you extra square feet but no amenities. I have done 8 Regent cruises and I thoroughly enjoy their all suite all inclusive ships, especially not having to produce a card to buy a coke and not always being sold to. However, I still like Celebrity ships, and the S-Class ships especially. Also with only 3 now 4 ships Regent has limited itineraries. The new suite amenities have brought me back and the costs are similar, so I now book some Celebrity to get trips they can offer with their larger fleet. I think they have reached a reasonable compromise of protecting their base while being competitive with the small ship lines. I don't feel guilty or privileged by utilizing the Suite benefits, I do feel that I am getting value for the amount I am paying, or I wouldn't be paying it. Book a suite and enjoy it, or don't book a suite and enjoy that experience. I think Celebrity is doing a good job with their marketing and delivery.

Rated : A+++

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Clearly you have no clue what I am talking about, or are one of those who favors more for the rich, even if it is at the expense of the middle class or poor. If you had read what I wrote, and not interpreted it to benefit your way of thinking, you would have understood that my concern is not that the rich can afford more than I can and shouldn't be allowed to have it. My concern is when the rich enjoy a better lifestyle AT THE EXPENSE of the lower classes. I don't mind rich people enjoying a sumptuous, beautiful, crammed to the hilt with luxury amenities stateroom. That doesn't affect me in the least. What I do mind, however, is when areas or amenities that I used to enjoy are TAKEN AWAY from me in order to give them to those richer than me.

Do you also support converting some highway lanes for exclusive use by the wealthy, by taking away a lane or two that could be used by the rest of the people? Same concept. You, the rich, get more. Me, the not-so-rich, get less. Not what I consider a fair trade off just because you have more money to throw around than the rest of us. I supposed in your world view, we peasants should stay out of sight and keep quiet while you are around.

I obviously don't get you. I am not rich, nor am I poor. But I don't feel that my reduced services or space is a direct result of someone else paying more for services or space. It is a free market and each prioritizes how and where they want to spend their money. Being able to pay for vacations and cruises is a luxury in itself. Why let your own happiness and enjoyment be dimmed by comparing what you have paid for vs. what others have paid for?

I obviously don't get you. I am not rich, nor am I poor. But I don't feel that my reduced services or space is a direct result of someone else paying more for services or space. It is a free market and each prioritizes how and where they want to spend their money. Being able to pay for vacations and cruises is a luxury in itself. Why let your own happiness and enjoyment be dimmed by comparing what you have paid for vs. what others have paid for?

Again you don't get what I am talking about. It isn't about who has the most money. It is about who is being given increasingly more benefits at the expense of the other.

We can only afford to cruise every two to three years. And even that requires giving up many other activities we might otherwise be able to do. When we travel, we like to enjoy as much as we can afford. That is why we always book veranda staterooms. But, when my hard earned dollars buys less and less, I start wondering if I should continue to spend those limited resources on a product that gives me less bang for the buck.

I used to like M class ships, but with the reduction of public areas I used to spend considerable time in, such as the lounge at the front of the ship, and Michael's Club, for example, I do indeed experience a diminished product. No one likes to get less every time they purchase the same product. No one likes to spend the same amount for a smaller container of a product, be it a carton of orange juice, or a tube of toothpaste. That is all I am saying. Getting less for the same amount of money is not a good economic equation for me. And when that "less" is due to a portion of it being given to a specific group of people because they can afford to pay more than I do, it just seems to be the wrong direction to be going in - at least for me.

I don't begrudge anyone for being able to spend more than me on things. Good for them. I just don't like to be given less than before because they can and I can't.

In a perfect world the ship would be built larger to include those private areas for suite guests without taking away space for the other passengers. Unfortunately, for Celebrity is it a profit business and they will do what they think is the best to maximize the return on their dollar. I will decide with my own dollars whether the value tipping point for me has been reached. My concern for my own economics is just as important as theirs is for their own. As long as we are compatible, I will continue to purchase their product. But, that tipping point seems to be getting closer and closer every year.

Again you don't get what I am talking about. It isn't about who has the most money. It is about who is being given increasingly more benefits at the expense of the other.

We can only afford to cruise every two to three years. And even that requires giving up many other activities we might otherwise be able to do. When we travel, we like to enjoy as much as we can afford. That is why we always book veranda staterooms. But, when my hard earned dollars buys less and less, I start wondering if I should continue to spend those limited resources on a product that gives me less bang for the buck.

I used to like M class ships, but with the reduction of public areas I used to spend considerable time in, such as the lounge at the front of the ship, and Michael's Club, for example, I do indeed experience a diminished product. No one likes to get less every time they purchase the same product. No one likes to spend the same amount for a smaller container of a product, be it a carton of orange juice, or a tube of toothpaste. That is all I am saying. Getting less for the same amount of money is not a good economic equation for me. And when that "less" is due to a portion of it being given to a specific group of people because they can afford to pay more than I do, it just seems to be the wrong direction to be going in - at least for me.

I don't begrudge anyone for being able to spend more than me on things. Good for them. I just don't like to be given less than before because they can and I can't.

In a perfect world the ship would be built larger to include those private areas for suite guests without taking away space for the other passengers. Unfortunately, for Celebrity is it a profit business and they will do what they think is the best to maximize the return on their dollar. I will decide with my own dollars whether the value tipping point for me has been reached. My concern for my own economics is just as important as theirs is for their own. As long as we are compatible, I will continue to purchase their product. But, that tipping point seems to be getting closer and closer every year.

As someone who used to book Sky Suites for the extra space only, I can tell you that the increase in price is a lot more than any extra amenity is worth. If people are taking advantage of amenities they have certainly paid for them. I don't see a particularly big difference in space as no one used Michael's Club much before it became a private area and the dining room is proportionately the same because the same people are still in the same space with a wall between restaurants. The difference for me from before is the lack of special touches that "everyone" had, including better food, drink and service and activities that were not always sales based. Celebrity still has a good product, but it was certainly better in the past.

In a nutshell: People who would book suites love the concept. People who don't book suites have reservations about it. It's a simple case of the haves and the have-nots. If you "have" the money, then it is a step in the right direction. If you "have-not" the money, it's a step in the wrong direction.

I don't think it is that simple. I never book suites, but on NCL, I like the having a totally separate area for the suite guests. It is out of the way, and I am not reminded every day that I don't belong in places like Luminae or Michael's Club the way I am on Celebrity.

Robert

Perfect. Then I guess we won't be seeing you in an Edge suite. More room in the Retreat for the rest of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found that post odd. Almost as if it was written by someone who'd never dined in Lumiane and has formed an opinion from reading CC posts! See you in the Retreat! :D

We have been fortunate to have spent time in a few suites for our cruising experience but not since the introduction of big, better, best pricing.

I don't begrudge anyone the extra perks they get when they pay the extra fare.

The descriptions of the new suites that would be priced weekly at the average pensioners yearly income must be impressive for those who can afford 2600 ft homes at sea.

What has miffed me about the Edge rollout is the comment that the number of suites has increased from 5 to 12 % of the ship but no (little) part of the presentation was about the area to be shared by the other 88%

What kind of lounges can we expect?

Will we have an actual dance floor for nightly entertainment similar to Rendezvous on M-class? or an Atrium or Ensemble based centre where most people have no view of what is going on (unless standing on the decks above)?

What about our dining areas?

What about pool seating that is more spacious than the S-class?

Sure Edge is innovative but the people booking in non-suite categories are doing so on blind faith that their experience will be better than on other ships in the fleet at a surcharge for seeing the same sea, the same ports, consuming the same food.

I have no problem with the suite concept being separate just as I have no problem with people who can afford luxurious hotels while we are happy to stay in Fairfields, Marriotts, LaQuintas and Holiday Inns (etc).

I saw how the suite passengers will be coddled, now I want to see the innovative side of the ship designed for the other 88%.

I can't imagine giving up Aqua spa cabins for a suite. Or Blue! Will there be Aqua spa on the new Edge? I haven't heard it mentioned.

Do those who book Aqua and dine in Blu take away space from the rest of the passengers? Or does this just apply to the suite and non-suite argument? Celebrity designs ships for all passengers with different spending preferences. Some people will pay a lot extra for a suite and others will not. In a new design they are not taking any space away from anybody. If you feel like second class on a great Celebrity cruise experience because you are not in a suite then there are many other cruise lines to enjoy. Yes but they all have suites too.

I can certainly see why Celebrity has decided to offer a ship-within-a-ship - Suite Class is RCL's substitution for a luxury line. For as many ships as RCL owns, they don't have a true luxury line. Until Azamara has a new build, I don't think RCL has anything in a true luxury category.

Before booking an S3 on the Edge, I checked pricing on verandah cabins on all the "luxury" lines and found that an S3 on Edge, with all the perks, is still cheaper than the cheapest verandah on a luxury line for a 7 day Caribbean. I honestly can't imagine what the luxury lines could offer me that suite class on Celebrity doesn't, other than a better itinerary and let's face it - no one is booking an Edge suite for the itinerary. I personally don't plan to leave the ship more than once on our Edge cruise. I would not have paid the premium price on Edge for a port-intensive, interesting itinerary because I would not have spent enough time on the ship to make a suite worth the money for me. Frankly, there is no compelling Caribbean itinerary for me these days as we have visited all the islands that Celebrity and Azamara visit and for us, it's just a getaway from the Canadian winter.

Judging by the speed of bookings for the upper suites, Celebrity has moved in a smart direction. From what I can tell, the Iconic and Villa suites appear to have sold out in two days. That's pretty remarkable, if you ask me. Clearly, some people with very deep pockets are choosing a Celebrity over the luxury lines. I congratulate Celebrity for presenting such a compelling new ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Before booking an S3 on the Edge, I checked pricing on verandah cabins on all the "luxury" lines and found that an S3 on Edge, with all the perks, is still cheaper than the cheapest verandah on a luxury line for a 7 day Caribbean. I honestly can't imagine what the luxury lines could offer me that suite class on Celebrity doesn't, other than a better itinerary and let's face it - no one is booking an Edge suite for the itinerary.

Friends of mine sailed with Regent last year. When I asked them about their experience compared to Celebrity they said it has better food, better service, better staterooms and better public areas. Oh, and that they would never sail with them again because the price difference was simply far too much for the improvement they saw on Regent. Sp it's obvious to me that those sailing on the true 6* lines are paying for exclusivity, something that a Celebrity ship will never have.

Friends of mine sailed with Regent last year. When I asked them about their experience compared to Celebrity they said it has better food, better service, better staterooms and better public areas. Oh, and that they would never sail with them again because the price difference was simply far too much for the improvement they saw on Regent. Sp it's obvious to me that those sailing on the true 6* lines are paying for exclusivity, something that a Celebrity ship will never have.

We have sailed Regent and feel the same way. With the premium drink package and Aqua Class we think Celebrity has enough of a "luxury line" feel to suit us just fine. If money were no object, we'd probably chose a luxury line every time. Sadly, that is not the case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find it hypocritical that the people who are opposed to the ship within a ship program are supportive of other things that create a class distinction on board. For example, if I'm not Elite, I'm not eligible for priority boarding, special receptions, free champagne, or various other perks. These receptions and perks often take up "public space". As a passenger, I could look at this and say "if I'm paying the same amount of money this is unfair and my happiness is being destroyed." Equality for some is not always based on physical space.

I do not see a problem with the suite class. I'm happy to be on a cruise and realize that other passengers may be eligible for benefits that are not available to me. That is life.

I totally agree with Brendaj regarding the itinerary and booking a sky suite this time. I really want to enjoy the suite experience, it'll be our first. After factoring in the included perks, it wasn't that much of a leap. Is it expensive for a week? Sure. And I'm grateful that we are able to do it at least one time. With that said, my balcony cabin on Viking this November is costing more, with very little in the way of perks. Wine with meals, 200.00 OBC. Also 7 night Caribbean, but the draw was Cuba. I've only been on one celebrity cruise, in AQ, and we were extremely happy with it. There are plenty of options out there, and nobody says that anyone has to stay with one particular cruise line. It's all a matter of what you can afford and what is important to you on a vacation. The bottom line for me, is no matter my accommodations, I'm still on vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

.....For example, if I'm not Elite, I'm not eligible for priority boarding, special receptions, free champagne, or various other perks. These receptions and perks often take up "public space". As a passenger, I could look at this and say "if I'm paying the same amount of money this is unfair and my happiness is being destroyed." Equality for some is not always based on physical space.

I do not see a problem with the suite class. I'm happy to be on a cruise and realize that other passengers may be eligible for benefits that are not available to me. That is life.

Yes, but AA, LGBQT, needle Point, church and many others occupy space at times.... the space is not roped off the entire cruise as the Retreat will be.

So not the same at all

I don't have an issue with having a separate "class" on the ship either. I have more of an issue with those that stick their nose in the air when they get there. Plenty of them, both here and on the ship.

Pay more, get more: space, service, amenities, fill in your own blank here...

Pay less, then you should generally expect less (than those who pay more). That does not preclude you from still having an exceptional experience, unless you choose to dwell on what others "have". It's all what you make it.

Tom

... my balcony cabin on Viking this November is costing more, with very little in the way of perks. Wine with meals, 200.00 OBC....

We did a Viking river cruise last year and that included a 1/2 day excursion each day...I thought the ocean cruises had a similar perk...is that not the way it is?

Viking does have an included excursion, sorry, I didn't really think of it, because we usually book on our own. I've read most of the included excursions are mainly bus rides with picture stops. Hoping that's not all there is, but expecting to pay for what I'd really like to do.

In our previous cruise with CC in 2016, we had a veranda cabin, went to specialty restaurant once, ate at MDR almost all the time when they were open - which we truly enjoyed their food and we are foodies... We saw Michaels Lounge, Luminae and all the other specialty restaurants. We did not even for one moment thought about oh gosh these people got to go in and "enjoy" the additional offerings but not us.

We were very happy with our experience and we will be cruising with them again this April. We booked a sky suite this time because of a price drop and it became worthwhile to spend extra money, and certainly not because we felt that we had a lesser experience the last time. When we looked at Edge itineraries, they don't interest us enough for us to spend any money on but we did contemplate booking an infinite veranda room - which we plan to in the future when there is an itinerary that we like.

We vacation alot, having just got back from Hawaii this Sunday after 2 weeks of fabulous time at a top resort, and we are heading to New York next week.

We all prioritize how we spend our $ - everyone does. Another suite guest does not lessen my experience. I don't spend $5 on a cup of Starbucks coffee - yes that Frappuccino sure tastes good but I ain't going to spend $5 on that coffee because it does not offer the same value to me as that $100 meal that we will spend on tonight. Yet, I know of many people who would rather have 20 cups of that Starbucks coffee and refuse to eat out once to spend the same amount of money.

The bottom line is that it is too simplistic to look at "haves" and "have nots". If we want a larger room and eat at difference places on a cruise ship, pay for it. If not, we are glad that we are cruising in that whatever cabin that we have decided to spend our money on. Half full certainly feels much better than half empty.