Just introducing myself -- brand new to cruise travel ...

ArtsyCraftsy

HAL ships also have good room service menus, and the Neptune Lounge offers small buffet type items for in room dining or nibbling them in the Lounge itself, along with the option of order the full dining room menu for in-cabin dining.

Sometime we just need to pull the plug on the more formal dining room every night, and opt at least several times to just go to the Lido or order in. A HAL room-service club sandwich is a once a cruise ritual for me.

The Bad Fairy just showed up at the party who agrees with all the positive things you have been hearing, but since you are a very first time cruiser you may not yet know how you react to that one curse of cruising - the occasional bout of mal de mer.

Thanks! I'll be sure to talk to my doctor about possible remedies to have on hand "just in case." I've been on smaller boats (whale watching, ferries around Puget Sound, the Victoria Clipper, etc.) and never had a problem, but I know a cruise ship is different, so I definitely want to be prepared.

I've bookmarked the CDC website and will probably print out the section on cruise ship travel. This is all good info. :D

I hope by now you have created your account on the HAL website. You can complete your profile & check in, print documents, make reservations for dinner and book excursions.

Also if you do not have a passport (or aren't a natural born US citizen) make sure you have the proper documents to board the ship.

Ask questions here and we can point you in the right direction!

Doing my 3rd Alaska Cruise this June in a NS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have, indeed, and I've completed the check-in process except for passport/ID info -- my passport expired last year, so I need to get that renewed (or get the enhanced DL), which I'll do in the next couple of weeks.

I'm looking at the various options for dining -- definitely want to try the Pinnacle Grill (I've read numerous raves about the steak), but I need to study menus/etc. before I make reservations. Is there a danger of not being able to get reservations if I wait until, say, June to sign up?

Thanks!

First get passport renewed sooner as opposed to later! They are slammed so my advice is don't wait.

Pinnacle Grill is a small venue so the prime times can fill up. Remember you can cancel. We actually eat at PG most evenings, we prefer the small space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you can't walk long distances, you may want to arrange wheel chair assistance via your PCC for embarkation and disembarkation days. For the cruise you may consider renting a walker/rollator. They have a seat on them for when you need to rest and do fold up. I use Care Vacations to rent one for cruises.

I'm considering asking for some assistance during embarkation and disembarkation -- I HATE asking for help, though. I've had to do that at airports occasionally, especially when there's a considerable distance between check-in/baggage check and the gate. I have emphysema -- proof that even non-smokers can get it. It's normally well-controlled with medication (I'm not on oxygen), and as long as I go slowly, I'm usually OK, but I do have to stop occasionally to get my breathing under control.

When I was making my reservation and talking through all this with the PCC, she recommended a room near an elevator, and on the end of the ship near the restaurants, so we settled on SB7040 -- right across from the elevators, close to the La Fontaine dining room 2 or 3 floors below. So I think I'll be OK as far as getting to/from meals.

I'll definitely consider a rollator or walker -- I have an appointment with my pulmonary doc in May and this will be on the list of things to talk about with him.

One of my goals on this trip is to assess how easily I can get around onboard the ship. I'm definitely optimistic -- so we'll see.

First get passport renewed sooner as opposed to later! They are slammed so my advice is don't wait.

Pinnacle Grill is a small venue so the prime times can fill up. Remember you can cancel. We actually eat at PG most evenings, we prefer the small space.

I'll do both the passport renewal AND the enhanced DL as soon as possible -- at least one of them should be available by September.

I just blew it on the passport -- I haven't needed to use it recently, so I didn't keep careful track of the expiration date on it. Just have to get the pictures taken, and I can send it off. If I decide that cruise travel is something I want to do regularly, I'll definitely need it.

Good point about being able to cancel reservations at the Pinnacle Grill -- I'll check dates and pick one or two that might work out (my PCC said there would be 3 "gala" evenings, so I want to take those into consideration ... )

Thanks!!

I'm considering asking for some assistance during embarkation and disembarkation -- I HATE asking for help, though.

I totally understand, but ....

It becomes cumulative over the length of this cruise, and the more you can save yourself, the better off you will be by disembarkation. Choosing a cabin near the dining areas is a good idea; unless you are one who ends the day in one of the entertainment venues nearer the front of the ship.

Remember, too, you will be doing a great deal of walking on shore excursions, or just walking around the towns. Sometimes it's a hike just to get to the tour busses!

Once you start asking for such help it gets much easier. ;)

I agree with RuthC. I have had to ask for help due to a temporary situation and once I admitted I needed it and asked it got much easier. I have had a hip and a knee replacement and could not walk far before the surgeries. One thing I found helpful was a cane that had a seat. It was great for the long walks from the ship off the piers. I could sit for a few minutes whenever I needed to.

I totally understand, but ....

It becomes cumulative over the length of this cruise, and the more you can save yourself, the better off you will be by disembarkation. Choosing a cabin near the dining areas is a good idea; unless you are one who ends the day in one of the entertainment venues nearer the front of the ship.

Remember, too, you will be doing a great deal of walking on shore excursions, or just walking around the towns. Sometimes it's a hike just to get to the tour busses!

Once you start asking for such help it gets much easier. ;)

You're right, of course. My pulmonary doc sat me down a couple of years ago and told me that I HAVE to ask for help at the airport, since most of them are arranged so that you have to walk quite a long ways from Point A to Point B. And I've just started looking for photos of the entryway at Pier 91 in Seattle to assess how far it is from the terminal to the boat. That will help me determine whether I'm likely to run into trouble or not.

I'm OK being on the opposite end of the ship from the shows -- I'm not much of a nightlife/concert/etc. person (unless it's classical music). I might wander through the duty-free shopping area, but I'm much happier people-watching, sitting and doing needlework or reading, wine tasting, etc.

I'll definitely have a chat with my PCC about all this -- and I'll also bring it up when I see my pulmonary doc in May, just to get his take on it.

Thanks!

I'll definitely have a chat with my PCC about all this -- and I'll also bring it up when I see my pulmonary doc in May, just to get his take on it.

Think of it as helping to provide full employment to the wheelchair pushers! :')

Congratulations on your upcoming vacation to Alaska. It is truly spectacular. We have been on this trip many times, and in fact are returning again this year.

You were talking about Smith Cove. Are you driving there and parking? Or are you coming to Seattle a day early? I know Bellingham is not that far away, but not sure if you are starting your vacation a day early :)

If you are driving and parking, you may want to reserve your spot in advance and save a small amount on the parking fees. You will receive a $1 per day discount when booking online and ensure you have a space.

It is not far from the parking lot to the terminal, but I believe there is a complimentary shuttle.

Have a great cruise.

ArtsyCraftsy

I also have to use wheel chairs at the airports -- even for connecting flights since we have no direct flights anywhere.

My disability is knees and severe spinal problems. L3 was able to be operated on when I fell and broke it. But during my operation on the L3 -- an injury there resulted in a spinal fracture of the T11 -- can't discuss what is happening with that.

The walker/rollator -- check that out on Care Vacations was a major help for both on and off the ships.

Congratulations on your upcoming vacation to Alaska. It is truly spectacular. We have been on this trip many times, and in fact are returning again this year.

You were talking about Smith Cove. Are you driving there and parking? Or are you coming to Seattle a day early? I know Bellingham is not that far away, but not sure if you are starting your vacation a day early :)

I'm planning on driving down from Bellingham a day early. I own a house in Kenmore that I have rented out, and my tenant is great about letting me stay over in the guest room when the needed arises. I can leave the car there and take a shuttle or van or something to Smith Cove. The only thing I'm not clear about is the logistics of getting to the actual terminal. It's not clear if they drop you off at the door, or if they drop you off somewhere else (like the parking lot) and then you pick up a shuttle ... or something. There's plenty of time to work out the details.

Greetings —

a bit of a "foodie" (I love to cook and collect cookbooks)

Artsy - you can over indulge without knowing it, especially on your first cruise. You can easily gain 1 or more pounds a day. So I suggest being picky. Go for quality over quantity, but don't be too upset if quantity wins its share of battles.

Oh and being on your first cruise, your sea legs might take longer to adapt as they are as new to this as you. Don't worry if an occasional wall nudges you. Soon enough your sea legs be in sync with the rest of the ship.

I'm planning on driving down from Bellingham a day early. I own a house in Kenmore that I have rented out, and my tenant is great about letting me stay over in the guest room when the needed arises. I can leave the car there and take a shuttle or van or something to Smith Cove. The only thing I'm not clear about is the logistics of getting to the actual terminal. It's not clear if they drop you off at the door, or if they drop you off somewhere else (like the parking lot) and then you pick up a shuttle ... or something. There's plenty of time to work out the details.

Ahh! If you are getting a ride there, you won't have any problems. There is a large pickup and drop off area very near the front of the terminal. Although it depends upon the number of cars, busses, taxis, etc. already there where you are dropped off. I believe there is a curbside porter service that helps you with bags. I would call Smith Cove (206) 787-3911, if you have specific questions.

Artsy - you can over indulge without knowing it, especially on your first cruise. You can easily gain 1 or more pounds a day. So I suggest being picky. Go for quality over quantity, but don't be too upset if quantity wins its share of battles.

Sad but so true. I remember some early advice (which I did not take) which suggested only eating half of everything if it was just okay, 3/4 if you liked it and 100% if it was die and go to heaven good. But that was back when the portion sizes in the main dining room were much larger and there was both an appetizer and soup course, as well as dessert.

Now it is easier to pick and choose among "small plates" and the portion sizes have dropped, along with the requests up front for "half portions", or as one waiter said - "baby size" portions.

Grazing at the Lido, particularly all the breakfast goodies can b a weak point - HAL baked items are really, really good. Now DH just brings me a box of granola and a yogurt that I mix up in the room, along with a fresh orange, just to keep away from the Lido temptations. However, I do find much of what HAL offers onboard to be very tempting and good and after all ...... it is vacation.

But once one gets hooked on cruising and then adds more and more "vacation" days to their life, those few pounds can slowly creep up on one's weight and waistline. Good advice to watch out for this early in the game. Portion size is key.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise and choosing HAL and Alaska! I was 64 when we took our first cruise in 2011 which was also Alaska, and we loved it!

My dear spouse and I enjoyed 6 cruises together in the next 4 years and, after he died, I waited a year before gathering the courage to go solo a year ago. My 4th solo cruise is scheduled for this summer and will be my first international solo to Copenhagen, Norway, and Scotland.

I, too, booked the Neptune Suite twice when the price was ok, and the other two have been in Signature Suites including the upcoming cruise. If the upsell fairy visits at a decent price though, I'll jump at the chance to get back into a Neptune. I found that, especially traveling alone, I especially appreciated the "comforts" and friendliness of the Neptune and the the two concierge.

I'm pretty much an introvert so it hasn't always been easy for me to meet new people, but I've been grateful for those people who have noticed I'm alone and have asked to join me at my table or initiated conversations in lounges or on excursions. On the other hand, I've also appreciated the opportunities to "retreat" to my balcony with a glass of wine, or to one of the lounges to read a book on my iPad. Nevertheless, on the upcoming cruise I'm working on convincing myself that I will work hard on initiating contacts with people I haven't met.

For dinner I've typically asked for a table for two by the window and I've been fortunate to get that on the last three cruises. I've usually been able to make new friends with the people at adjacent tables, who were often the same people every night, but if that didn't work I always had my iPad with me for reading.

You mentioned classical music and I'd encourage you to check out Adagio every evening. The quality of their performance can vary, depending on which group is aboard on your cruise, but I usually find that to be an enjoyable place to have an evening drink while enjoying some good classical performances.

Our "finance people" think similarly! When I met with my financial adviser a month ago, following my 3rd cruise in a year, his opening words were "When are we scheduling your next cruise?" When he brought that up 3 more times in the next 90 minutes, after assuring me that he would replenish the "fun fund" he set up for me after Dave died if I ran out, I went home and scheduled this summer's cruise.

I'm hoping you will find cruising on HAL to be as good as I have and that we might meet up on a cruise some day. In the meantime, if I can respond to questions or offer any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!

Oh and being on your first cruise, your sea legs might take longer to adapt as they are as new to this as you. Don't worry if an occasional wall nudges you. Soon enough your sea legs be in sync with the rest of the ship.

Thanks for those reminders.

I've heard about the endless amounts of essentially free food and my HAL cruise veteran friends rave about it -- so I'll be extra careful. Weight is something I struggle with anyway (some might describe me as "Junoesque" - let's just say I have a little more tonnage and acreage than I need). So I definitely will be careful. However, if there's a "chocolate bar," all bets are off! ;)

I have some slight balance issues anyway, so I'm used to "wall walking" -- keeping my hand on the wall as I move around helps keep me "centered" as to which direction is "up." Hoping for calm seas, but I want to be prepared.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise and choosing HAL and Alaska! I was 64 when we took our first cruise in 2011 which was also Alaska, and we loved it!

My dear spouse and I enjoyed 6 cruises together in the next 4 years and, after he died, I waited a year before gathering the courage to go solo a year ago. My 4th solo cruise is scheduled for this summer and will be my first international solo to Copenhagen, Norway, and Scotland.

Nice to meet you! We do sound a lot alike. I've been living alone since my divorce 30 yrs ago, and I'm fiercely independent which makes it difficult for me to ask for help (I'm gradually getting over that). I'm definitely an introvert -- being in crowds or where there's a lot of chaos just wears me out. So cruising seems like a perfect way to play social butterfly for brief periods and still have the solitude of a room to myself for when I just want to chill.

I'll definitely check out Adagio in the Explorer's Lounge.

Thanks!