Escape "Secrets," Tips, Tricks?

mdsgu

Sailing on Escape in June. First time on a mega-ship, so getting a little concerned about the sheer size of the boat and the number of people. Have cruised Carnival, NCL (Spirit only), and RCCL. Largest ship prior to this cruise has been Carnival Dream, twice. That being said, what advice can you offer? Less-crowded areas? Areas that aren't typically "found" early in the voyage? Best times to enjoy the various amenities -- pools, bars, restaurants, ropes course, water park (we have 2 kids, ages 8 and 6)?

Vibe is definitely out.....in addition to our kids, we are also sailing with both sets of grandparents (ages 83, 70, 69, and 67, three of which will use a wheelchair to board), so running to try to secure those passes just isn't going to happen.

We've made restaurant reservations for dinner, but we might need to change some of the times once we get onboard. Excursions have been booked.....I know, they are probably more expensive through the ship, but I would rather pay a bit more to know I'll make it back before the ship leaves, especially with the kids.

We all have midship balcony rooms, one of which is handicapped accessible because one of the grandmothers uses a wheelchair at all times.

Thank you!

Anything we need to do very early?

The waterfront is so under used. You should definitly go out there and spend some relaxation time there rather than the pool deck. You should also try to eat in the waterfront at some point if possible.

I just returned from the Escape, and I agree with the other recommendations - make show reservations as soon as you can, and take advantage of the Waterfront if you want to get away from people! One morning I practically had the Waterfront all to myself and just sprawled out on one of the comfy couches and watched the water. I didn't find the ship to be too overcrowded. The Atrium can get pretty crowded at times, so if there is a show/activity that you really want to see, get there early to scout for chairs. Also, I found the temperature in common areas and dining areas to be VERY cold, so have a jacket or sweater handy if you tend to get cold easily.

The waterfront is so under used. You should definitly go out there and spend some relaxation time there rather than the pool deck. You should also try to eat in the waterfront at some point if possible.

I would have to agree: The Waterfront is mostly empty during the day. BUT - it's also where some of the smoking areas are, which might be a problem. There's also a public sun deck on deck 20, at the top of the ship, that can be less crowded. Unfortunately, there's no equivalent to the "Spinnaker" lounges on the smaller NCL ships, which are usually quiet indoor oases during the day.

Sadly, I think the worst part of the design of the Escape is the pool decks. I don't think I've ever seen a ship where the pool decks were so small, so broken up, and so, so overcrowded. On sunny sea days, there's lounge chairs pushed into every nook and cranny, kids running up and down...it's really a poor design, IMO.

• 6 months later...

Definitely agree with previous posters about the Waterfront, especially for the grandparents. It is located on deck 8 and surrounds most of the outside perimeter of the deck. It is mostly shaded, but has plenty of seating (cushioned love seats and chairs) that you can relax and just enjoy the ocean and watching the world go by.

My main beef with Escape was the depth of the pool that was open for children. It went from 5 feet to 5’7”. Way too deep for child. So bring swimmers if your kids will be using the pool. Yes, there is a splash pad but my GD wanted to swim. Also , the blue slide is a blast. This 65 yo would have never tried without my GD! And consider Splash Academy. My GD could not wait to go and staff was wonderful!