New Sign & Sail procedure

amyh13

Unfortunately we were not able to get FTTF for our upcoming cruise but we do have 11 am check-in. If we can't get to our cabins until 1pm to pick up our cards, how can I buy a drink? Which is typically the first thing I do when I get on.:tropical-drink:

Hmmmmm....that's different from what RC does. They printed our cards at the check in desk before we boarded. Then they punched a hole in it so you could put it on a lanyard. So on Carnival we don't get the cards til we are in our room? Do they have a hole punched in them already? I'm confused now!

Hmmmmm....that's different from what RC does. They printed our cards at the check in desk before we boarded. Then they punched a hole in it so you could put it on a lanyard. So on Carnival we don't get the cards til we are in our room? Do they have a hole punched in them already? I'm confused now!

This is new. It apparently speeds up the boarding process. Cards are delivered to box outside your room. I am fine with it as long as I can make purchases prior to being allowed to go to my cabin.

Yes they have the holes punched in them. If you want to buy a drink or something before you get to your room you just hand them your boarding pass instead of your SnS card.

Yes they have the holes punched in them. If you want to buy a drink or something before you get to your room you just hand them your boarding pass instead of your SnS card.

Does this work if you have Cheers, or do we need to wait to get our S&S card before getting a drink?

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

This is new. It apparently speeds up the boarding process. Cards are delivered to box outside your room. I am fine with it as long as I can make purchases prior to being allowed to go to my cabin.

Stupid question: But what prevents anyone from just taking cards out of a box? Or does it have a code they tell you at check in? Just curious. This will be new for us!

Stupid question: But what prevents anyone from just taking cards out of a box? Or does it have a code they tell you at check in? Just curious. This will be new for us!

Apparently it comes in a sealed envelope. It would be apparent if someone had tampered with it.

Not a stupid question as OP stated they did not get FTTF this time around so the cards will be in box outside the cabin once the cabin is available to them (if available at 1:00/1:30 then that is when the cards will be in box).

Not a stupid question as OP stated they did not get FTTF this time around so the cards will be in box outside the cabin once the cabin is available to them (if available at 1:00/1:30 then that is when the cards will be in box).

I guess my question is: can't anyone access the box? What prevents anyone passing by just to go in to the box and take the sealed envelope with the cards in it and charge up your account???? Is the box locked with a code and you get the code on your boarding pass? Just never heard of these boxes before......

I thought CCL ended this experiment. We were on the Magic in January and got our cards on check in. When we asked the nice lady about putting cards in your box, she had no idea what we were talking about.

Apparently it comes in a sealed envelope. It would be apparent if someone had tampered with it.

I've just never heard of these boxes before. What prevents anyone from getting in to the boxes and taking the sealed envelope all together?

I've just never heard of these boxes before. What prevents anyone from getting in to the boxes and taking the sealed envelope all together?

They are in a sealed envelope and placed in the mail box outside your room. Nothing to stop anyone from taking them but they would be hard pressed to use your card as your picture comes up when they slide it. Plus there are camera's everywhere so someone would be busted pretty quick I'd say.

They are in a sealed envelope and placed in the mail box outside your room. Nothing to stop anyone from taking them but they would be hard pressed to use your card as your picture comes up when they slide it. Plus there are camera's everywhere so someone would be busted pretty quick I'd say.

Ahhhhh. Thank you! Sounds good. I also would hope people are honest....heck, we camp a TON and we never lock our camper. I guess we always trust other campers to be honest as well and there isn't cameras! It's just being our first time on Carnival, only our second cruise ever, and 1st with kids, I am nervous excited!

The "box" being referred to is the mail box that is outside of each cabin. Your Sign and Sail cards are put in your mail box in a sealed envelope once your cabin steward has finished with your cabin. The cards are linked to your photograph that is taken when you board the ship. If you get to your cabin and find that the cards are missing, or the envelope has been tampered with, go to Guest Services and they will cancel the cards and issue new ones. This new system is currently only being conducted on two ships, the Splendor and the Vista. It came about because too many people that did not have priority boarding have been going to their cabins before they were allowed to in order to drop off their carry-ons. From what I've read, the system seems to be working as intended, and no one has had a problem with their cards being stolen or tampered with. Don't be too surprised if some time in the near future that Carnival decides to make it fleet wide. As stated, if you're currently booked on the Splendor or the Vista, and wish to purchase alcohol before getting your S&S card, just use your boarding pass.

Even if they take the card - Your picture is linked to the card so unless they are your twin they are not gonna be able to use your card - Not to mention if by chance they use it one of the places that you just swipe the card their are video cameras all over the place and trip to guest services will get those charges reversed

They come in a tamper resistant envelope. If you see evidence of tamper, you simply go to guest services and request a new card. And anyone up in arms about your credit card being linked to your sail & sign card, credit cards are not ran with each individual swipe of your s&s card, they are done in a batch late to in the middle of the night. They may do daily holds but only one final transaction is completed at the end of the cruise and there's plenty of time to check your activity on the TV or via the final print out on the last and resolve any discrepancies. It's really a non-issue.

Ahhhhh. Thank you! Sounds good. I also would hope people are honest....heck, we camp a TON and we never lock our camper. I guess we always trust other campers to be honest as well and there isn't cameras! It's just being our first time on Carnival, only our second cruise ever, and 1st with kids, I am nervous excited!

You have nothing to worry about. This new system is currently only being done on the Splendor and the Vista.

Thanks for the information! I was not really worried about someone taking my card, I just wondered how they allowed for purchases if you didn't have a card. Are you 21 (no risk of that being a question for me ;p).

I couldn't imagine that they would give up 2 hours of bar revenue, just wondered how it worked.