Outside window rooms Amsterdam

bettty45

Can anyone give information about outside window rooms on the first floor of the Amsterdam? We have an opportunity to book a room around 1950. I am worried about engine noise since it is near the rear. Can't find any info on this area. We will be on the Grand Asia in the fall on this ship so we currently have a quiet inside location but would consider upgrading to a window if the price was right and the room was quiet. Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone give information about outside window rooms on the first floor of the Amsterdam? We have an opportunity to book a room around 1950. I am worried about engine noise since it is near the rear. Can't find any info on this area. We will be on the Grand Asia in the fall on this ship so we currently have a quiet inside location but would consider upgrading to a window if the price was right and the room was quiet. Thanks for any help

We were in 1960 for the first half of this year's WC. I don't remember noise as being a problem. However, about ten days into the cruise we noticed a wet carpet near the bed. Water was intruding from inside the wall. Looked like a big job to fix it, so they moved us to 1899 on the other side of the ship and closer to the center. We were happy there. I believe one of the differences between inside and outside cabins on Amsterdam is that you will only have a shower on the inside, but the outside will include a tub. Not sure if that is 100% correct, but worth looking at if a tub is important.

This is a very scenic cruise, so I would be looking to upsell myself to an outside if, as you say, the price is right.

Cabin 1950 is possibly not a "quiet" cabin. Having been a bit forward from this cabin, we found this area had some noise from the wake/props, plus some vibration. With the rope room down one deck and farther aft you could get some noise and vibration early in morning when docking.

For us this was not a problem, because we think in terms of being on a ship and wanting to be aware of that.

1950 is convenient to the aft stairs/elevator bank. This is a triple so the sofa will be hide-a bed. You do get a bathtub in outsides and that is a big plus for me, as I am not enamored of the small HAL showers.

Whatever you choose, you have a super cruise lined up and I hope you enjoy!

We were in 1960 for the first half of this year's WC. I don't remember noise as being a problem. However, about ten days into the cruise we noticed a wet carpet near the bed. Water was intruding from inside the wall. Looked like a big job to fix it, so they moved us to 1899 on the other side of the ship and closer to the center. We were happy there. I believe one of the differences between inside and outside cabins on Amsterdam is that you will only have a shower on the inside, but the outside will include a tub. Not sure if that is 100% correct, but worth looking at if a tub is important.

Thank you for your quick response and reply. I heard again on this years WC that there was also water coming in between walls from heavy rains where a leak sprung in the inside down drains. We are ok with a little vibration as long as it is not "noise" :). My husband would love the tub too for that long of a cruise. We have been following Bill and Mary Ann on the WC so that we get info regarding this ship. Is there any other information you would share about the ship with us? Will you be on the Grand Asia this year?

Thank you for that quick response!! Any other info about this ship for us would be appreciated. We have been following the WC blog of Bill and Mary Ann for more info. My husband would love the tub. Right now the price on 1950 is about $5000 more but room charges are covered. Not sure if this is a good deal or not compared to our inside room. I don't know how far out we may have for better pricing in this ship but our inside room is paid in full. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for your quick response and reply. I heard again on this years WC that there was also water coming in between walls from heavy rains where a leak sprung in the inside down drains. We are ok with a little vibration as long as it is not "noise" :). My husband would love the tub too for that long of a cruise. We have been following Bill and Mary Ann on the WC so that we get info regarding this ship. Is there any other information you would share about the ship with us? Will you be on the Grand Asia this year?

First, I will say that we really like the Amsterdam. With more than 500 days on HAL, more than half of them are on Amsterdam. We also took two Grand Asia cruises (2010 and 2011) and very much enjoyed them. Our next cruise will be on the Diamond Princess as we want to stop in some ports in Taiwan. Haven't decided on this year's Grand Asia. Concerning the ship, it is probably due for a major refurbishment. I always bring a Swiss Army knife with a phillips screwdriver on it that is often used to tighten loose screws on door latches, etc around the room. The crew on the ship is invariably outstanding; friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The lady who teaches the microsoft courses is friendly and extremely competent. She is married to the drummer in the band, so there is a good chance she will still be aboard for your cruise. There is a good library, but it has been a few years since new books have been added. Do your homework before the cruise by downloading maps and info on all the ports, because the maps provided by the ship now are mostly worthless. If you have a problem, the front desk has been very helpful, and if they can't take care of it, Cristel, the Guest Relations Manager will make sure it is taken care of. If you want fixed dining and they assign anytime, look up Presty, the Ass't Dining Room manager and he will take care of you. Hope this helps.

First, I will say that we really like the Amsterdam. With more than 500 days on HAL, more than half of them are on Amsterdam. We also took two Grand Asia cruises (2010 and 2011) and very much enjoyed them. Our next cruise will be on the Diamond Princess as we want to stop in some ports in Taiwan. Haven't decided on this year's Grand Asia. Concerning the ship, it is probably due for a major refurbishment. I always bring a Swiss Army knife with a phillips screwdriver on it that is often used to tighten loose screws on door latches, etc around the room. The crew on the ship is invariably outstanding; friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The lady who teaches the microsoft courses is friendly and extremely competent. She is married to the drummer in the band, so there is a good chance she will still be aboard for your cruise. There is a good library, but it has been a few years since new books have been added. Do your homework before the cruise by downloading maps and info on all the ports, because the maps provided by the ship now are mostly worthless. If you have a problem, the front desk has been very helpful, and if they can't take care of it, Cristel, the Guest Relations Manager will make sure it is taken care of. If you want fixed dining and they assign anytime, look up Presty, the Ass't Dining Room manager and he will take care of you. Hope this helps.

Thank you for quick and informative response! Hope you come along with us on the Grand Asia!

I can say we were in Amsterdam 1932 for 48 nights and found it to be a good location. It's convenient to the stairs and aft elevator but on a dead hallway, so not much foot traffic. We did hear a lot of constant "wind" noise further forward as we would walk to the mid-ship elevators. I'm not sure if it was noise from the stacks or from the engines but I was glad I wasn't there!

1950 is only 5 rooms aft of where we were and I think it would be a very comfortable location. m--

I can say we were in Amsterdam 1932 for 48 nights and found it to be a good location. It's convenient to the stairs and aft elevator but on a dead hallway, so not much foot traffic. We did hear a lot of constant "wind" noise further forward as we would walk to the mid-ship elevators. I'm not sure if it was noise from the stacks or from the engines but I was glad I wasn't there!

1950 is only 5 rooms aft of where we were and I think it would be a very comfortable location. m--

Oh thank you very much for that info! Did you hear noise below you? I had read that we might get engine noise or vibrations or noise when we docked for the rope chains. Our biggest concern is a quiet room and especially since it is for 80 days!! Was 1932 a window room also? Will you be on the Grand Asia tour this fall?

Oh thank you very much for that info! Did you hear noise below you? I had read that we might get engine noise or vibrations or noise when we docked for the rope chains. Our biggest concern is a quiet room and especially since it is for 80 days!! Was 1932 a window room also? Will you be on the Grand Asia tour this fall?

We considered the Grand Asia cruise but have decided not to, for many reasons. We were on Tales of the South Pacific in that room last fall and enjoyed our location.

Yes 1932 is a window room; it had 5 closets, hide-a-bed couch that was plenty comfortable for sitting on, and a tub/shower combo. The tubs are a bit high to step over and the bottom of the tub is higher than the floor so when entering the tub you are going up a few inches.

There were occasional noises we did hear from below us, some type of machine that would run for a minute or so (sounded to me like a washing machine on spin cycle, but I have no idea what it was... but 1950 would be different) but the noise was muted, short-lived and not disturbing. I accept that we're on a ship so I tune out little things like that. There was no vibration issue from engines.

I don't recall any noise from mooring lines. Hopefully someone who has been in that room will respond to you. Happy planning, m--

We considered the Grand Asia cruise but have decided not to, for many reasons. We were on Tales of the South Pacific in that room last fall and enjoyed our location.

Yes 1932 is a window room; it had 5 closets, hide-a-bed couch that was plenty comfortable for sitting on, and a tub/shower combo. The tubs are a bit high to step over and the bottom of the tub is higher than the floor so when entering the tub you are going up a few inches.

There were occasional noises we did hear from below us, some type of machine that would run for a minute or so (sounded to me like a washing machine on spin cycle, but I have no idea what it was... but 1950 would be different) but the noise was muted, short-lived and not disturbing. I accept that we're on a ship so I tune out little things like that. There was no vibration issue from engines.

I don't recall any noise from mooring lines. Hopefully someone who has been in that room will respond to you. Happy planning, m--

Thanks again!! I hope to hear from someone who has been in that room. Sorry you won't be joining us.

Does the ocean view room have a refrigerator? I can't remember which classes do and don't. Thank you.

Not on the Amsterdam, no. The inside and outside cabins can rent one for $2.00 per day, though.

The 2 S-class ships and the 4 R-class ships only have a fridge (really a cooler) in cabins with a balcony.

The Prinsendam, 4 Vista ships, 2 Signature ships, and Koningsdam have a fridge in every cabin.