Recent Island Princess panama cruise that included a stop in Nicaragua

highlands1234

I submitted the post below in the Panama cruise section of the boards, but someone on that thread suggested I post here, as the Island Princess just completed a west bound full transit cruise that included a stop in Nicaragua. Just wanted to verify that there were no issues with the new Nicaragua requirements that were implemented at the end of January (see below)

I know these yellow fever questions are always being asked, but wanted to hear from Panama full transit cruisers that have done cruises this February after the below requirements were implemented. As you can see below, the state department notes that Panama is on the list of areas with active yellow fever transmission that Nicaragua would want proof of vaccine if you have been there in the last 6 days. But since the CDC does not recommend or consider the panama canal itself an active transmission zone I am assuming that it would not be required by Nicaragua. Would love to hear from a full transit west bound cruiser that went this February that can confirm that Nicaragua is not requiring proof of yellow fever vaccination if you are coming from the panama canal.

On January 17, 2017 the Government of Nicaragua announced a new requirement for travelers entering Nicaragua from certain countries to present proof of yellow fever vaccination as a condition for being granted entry to Nicaragua. This requirement is in response to a recent yellow fever outbreak in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais.

Effective January 27, 2017, travelers coming from countries designated by the World Health Organization (WHO) as places with the potential for active transmission of yellow fever will be required to present an International Certificate of Vaccination for yellow fever, showing a vaccine given at least 10 days prior, at the Nicaraguan port of entry. Those countries currently include Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guyana, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela, and all countries located on the African continent with the exception of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Sao Tome and Principe, and Somalia.

The United States is not listed as a country with the potential for active transmission of yellow fever. The new requirement does not impact travelers already in Nicaragua.

Travelers with prior travel to countries with the potential for active transmission of yellow fever will not be required to show proof of a yellow fever vaccine as long as the prior travel to the affected country occurred more than six days prior and the traveler does not show symptoms of yellow fever. Symptoms of yellow fever include sudden onset of fever, chills, severe headache, back pain, general body aches, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, and weakness.

Travelers impacted by the new requirement must show an International Certificate of Vaccination as proof of immunization at the port of entry. A World Health Organization (WHO) card (commonly called a “yellow card”) showing proof of immunization is often used by travelers.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends or urges precaution against yellow fever vaccinations for pregnant women, children under 9 months of age, breastfeeding mothers, and people with certain other medical conditions. Please refer to the CDC’s website for specific guidance. For those who cannot receive a yellow fever vaccination, the Nicaraguan government requires a letter of medical certification explaining why an exemption is medically justified.

In accordance with CDC guidance, the Government of Nicaragua deems a yellow fever vaccine effective for life.

Additional information about yellow fever is available from the CDC and the WHO.

For further information about security in Nicaragua:

Also how was Nicaragua? I'd love to learn more about everyone's experiences there since I've never been

When we were in Nicaragua we found it to be very poor and not a place we ventured very far. We wandered around "downtown" a bit and then went to the beach. The beach is not one where I would recommend going barefoot. There was glass and stuff. Of the stops on our 17 day SF to FLL through the Panama Canal Nicaragua is the stop we could definitely do without ever repeating. It had the feeling (deservedly) of a place that had had only a few years earlier ended a very long civil war. We were there in 2015.

We stopped at beautiful San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua last year and when we arrived home Australian customs pulled us up and asked which specific countries in Central America we had visited because of a yellow fever outbreak. They were most interested in Nicaragua and Colombia. We both had the yellow fever vaccination a few years ago when we went to Argentina and had our certificates with us, so they waved us through. The Australian Government Health Advisory website is carrying the same information as the US one.

When we were in Nicaragua we found it to be very poor and not a place we ventured very far. We wandered around "downtown" a bit and then went to the beach. The beach is not one where I would recommend going barefoot. There was glass and stuff. Of the stops on our 17 day SF to FLL through the Panama Canal Nicaragua is the stop we could definitely do without ever repeating. It had the feeling (deservedly) of a place that had had only a few years earlier ended a very long civil war. We were there in 2015.
Hi,we ventured further afield last year and did an all day tour of the volcanic lakes a trip to the top of an active volcano peering into the bubbling lava below (apparently the government when the conflict was on used to drop all the dead prisoners into it to get rid of the evidence).We stopped at a traditional town for a buffet lunch and visited a market in a town with panoramic views over the lakes and volcanoes.Yes,a lot of poor people but no more than most countries in that area.We have just come back from India and that is what I call poor in a lot of areas,cheers,Brian.

I was on the last westbound transit on the Island, but unfortunately due to high winds and an ugly weather forecast we were unable to anchor and tender ashore. I can answer a couple questions though, we were not required to get the yellow fever vaccine before traveling, all that was required was a health form for Nicaragua. The form was left in our staterooms and had to be returned by the day prior to the visit.

I was looking forward to the stop as we had a great excursion booked, but alas you cannot control the weather.

Jase0581,

Thanks for sharing. I don't believe it will be an issue but will try to get an email from Holland before the cruise as an additional CYA measure.

Regarding the port itself, I have read about the town and the glass beach, definitely sounds like a port stop where you want an excursion arranged.

We stopped in Nicaragua on our 19-day Panama Canal cruise in the Island Princess in November. We just hung out in San Juan del Sur, and it was our favorite stop on the whole cruise. We though it had a great laid-back vibe and it didn't feel like it had been taken over by mass tourism.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a 15 day full transit SF-FLL with a stop in San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua. We completed a simple form that had a few Yes/No questions regarding general health. Nothing specific about yellow fever.

We did a ziplining excursion with Da' Flying Frogs. They picked us up the pier and dropped us off in town so we could walk along the beach and shop at a few stands for souvenirs. Lovely little place.

A group of us just completed the Panama Canal cruise on 3/30 (same as previous poster). We had a great time and took a ships excursion that bused us to Granada, a grand old colonial city, where we had a tour, heard about the history and then had an amazing meal at a local place. Then we boarded boats and took a ride through some of the many islands in Lake Nicaragua. It was really cool seeing how so many people lived on and boated between those islands for work, school, play, etc. We saw the volcanoes from a distance and I bought some rum that a friend highly recommended. It was a great time and I hope to spend more time in that country. Yes, it is very impoverished (do the people know that they are poor?), but it is going through an economic recovery and I think will become more of a destination as things improve. It made a difference for me to get the "feel" of the place by seeing some of the country and hearing about it's history and culture.

Oh and like the previous poster, we simply filled out a form answering yes or no to whether we felt sick, had a fever, etc and left it for our steward. That was it. No checking at the terminal for anything except our cruise card.