Is Bigger Always Better? - Oasis of the Seas March 12 2017 Review

Thank you for making me feel better.

Good explanation here - in summary, 'right is always right' if you like the bed by the balcony.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1516781&highlight=oasis+bed+placement&page=2

OK - I didn't realize this was specific to Oasis class ships. Thanks anyway - at least I'l know if I ever book an Oasis class. :)

Enjoying the review. We sail May 21 - experienced RCCL cruiser but first time on Oasis. Sailing was my favorite single parent vacation. My daughter is now 21 and still loves to sail with me.

Trust me before you know it your DD will be your drink partner on the rising tide bar.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

Enjoying the review. We sail May 21 - experienced RCCL cruiser but first time on Oasis. Sailing was my favorite single parent vacation. My daughter is now 21 and still loves to sail with me.

Trust me before you know it your DD will be your drink partner on the rising tide bar.

That's a good day to sail - it's my daughter's 9th birthday :-).

Cruising is really an ideal vacation for single parents, I keep trying to tell people that. Where else do you get to truly RELAX?! That's great that your daughter still enjoys it!

We're sailing on May 21st also. There are 4 couples in our group, and a friend who lives in FL is on the same sailing with her group. Hope you go to the Meet and Mingle.

Our Room

32791479103_681aaa24f8_n.jpg

And there it is – home, sweet home. Or as we like to call it, home away from home.

We don’t have cable (I’m not a hippie, I just did the math and realized I could have a cleaning lady once a month for the same $), so Jelly made a beeline for the TV and would have happily stayed there for the entire cruise if I’d let her. *sigh* kids these days, with their interwebs and constant Dreamworks movies.

For those of you with young 'uns - yep, there's a channel that plays stuff like Sofia the First and Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Doc McStuffins AD NAUSEUM. And there's a channel that shows nonstop DW movies (Monsters vs Aliens, Puss N Boots, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda). And then there are all the channels you'll never get to watch.

32791476843_4db4ea3bcb_n.jpg

Now, here’s something I never realized that probably 99% of you already know but I’M A SLOW LEARNER; your room number will tell you whether your bed is beside the window, or the door. I KNOW, right?! So for example, on Freedom we had the opposite setup to this (beds by window), which I greatly preferred. As chance would have it, our Symphony room will be the beds-by-window, thankfully (see my Symphony name-dropping there? FYI Symphony is now finally showing up in the Cruise Planner, if you hadn’t heard all the screaming already). So yeah, I just find that the room feels a little closed off when you walk in the door and BAM THERE’S A BED. Plus it’s closer to the door so in my head you hear more hallway noise, although really, I hardly heard anything other than people occasionally letting their doors slam. Just catch it behind you, people, it’s really not that hard.

Where was I? Oh, yes, but the beds closer to the door are convenient for late night bathroom breaks. And sitting and getting dressed and being practically inside the closet.

Noobs – You can request (or ask your TA to request) the beds together or apart. Don’t say to yourself, ‘eh, I’ll worry about it when I get on the ship’, because last year I was like that and the beds were together and then they ran out of bedding and I had a crap blanket for the whole trip. So heeeeeeeeeed my warrrrnnnnnnning!

Side note on room temperature – I like it COLD for sleeping.I think it’s because I grew up in a drafty farmhouse in Northern Ontario with baseboard heaters and I swear one morning I had snow on my bed (not really). I kept the AC on max and kept the balcony door closed (although I forgot about the curtains, which would have helped), and the room was an ok temp, but there was definitely no snow. Nights we both usually ended up kicking off even the sheet. Keep in mind we have extra body padding and are warm-blooded, so if you’re a scrawny little thing who’s always cold, you might need the heat. I never thought ‘I wish I’d brought a fan’, because that seems excessive and would mean less shoes, but if you have hot flashes or are a sweat-er, keep your balcony door closed and your curtains closed as much as you can.

Additional note on sleeping – Look what I took a picture of for all y’all!

33607058675_99c4bec826_n.jpg

This bed was C O M F O R T A B L E. I’m a very light sleeper and have trouble falling asleep, and this thing was like Tylenol PM with a side of Xanax. Man, did I sleep great. I have a white noise app that I love (‘WhiteNoiseHD’),and between that and this bed – zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I didn’t have to request it, it was already on there. Michael – still thinking about you. Smooches.

There were lots of little nooks and crannies around the desk, plus the drawers, that ended up being totally fine for all of Jenny’s stuff, so that was super convenient, because I got the whole closet. I even counted the hangers for you guys – 30 of ‘em, which was more than enough for me.

I thought this bathroom was gorgeous. I am one of the few people who doesn’t like the Disney split bathrooms, and I’m a tiny bit claustrophobic, but I was totally fine in this…

32791475623_0130fb673f_n.jpg

There were two bars of soap in the shower, as well as an el cheapo shampoo dispenser (just bring your own, you’re going to be doing so much damage to your hair), plus two plastic hooks which were great for wet bathing suits. There was one bar of soap for the sink. I’m a bit of a cheater here; I snag the extra soaps from the hotel the night before we leave, they’re usually slightly better quality and at least better smelling usually. But I bring my own travel shampoo and conditioner and face wash. The kid has to use the cheap stuff because she’s a second-class citizen.

There were also a few hooks on the bathroom wall near the towel bar.

I had a pretty enormous suitcase (but just one! So proud!), but it fit under the bed no problem. I also tested fitting it in the closet, and it made it, but just barely. No need, under the bed was fine. The minifridge was empty and ready for the few spare bottled waters we had brought (in our suitcases). Go ahead and wet a washcloth and stick it in there when you first get in, you’ll thank me later in the trip when you have an icy cloth for your warm skin or face. Also, don’t forget a small tube or container of aloe – put that in there as well. I also throw some face wipes in there. So yeah, not a lot of food, but lots of things to help us recover from long, hot days in port. Jamaica, I’m glaring at you.

Our luggage came LATE this time – while we were at dinner. So be prepared for that. I know people hate to see SHORTS and T-SHIRTS in the MDR, heavens to Betsy, but I think people (me) should be comfortable on vacation. I sure as heck ain’t packing spanx or heels. If I’m going to go to the WJ it’s because I want to, not because I feel shamed into it. So yeah, we ate in American Icon like the sweaty slobs we are.

Lastly, our muster station – we were in the Promenade, which seemed strange, but at least it wasn’t standing out on deck or wearing a life jacket. We accidentally ended up right beside where the dude makes the announcement, so Jelly got to wrap things up and tell people to enjoy their cruise.

33566729566_2e82a6ec83_n.jpg

Up Next – My Time Dining at 6p in the American Icon Grill, Deck 3

I did not know your room number gives you a hint on bed placement. Can you elaborate on how you know if it is door or balcony? Thank you and love our review. This is my favorite ship of all the RCCL and other cruise line ships I have had the good fortune to cruise on. Can't wait to be back on her in November.

I did not know your room number gives you a hint on bed placement. Can you elaborate on how you know if it is door or balcony? Thank you and love our review. This is my favorite ship of all the RCCL and other cruise line ships I have had the good fortune to cruise on. Can't wait to be back on her in November.

Thanks! Yep, if you go back one page I shared a link to another thread that explains it. Apparently it's only for Oasis-class ships though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Omfg you guys are killing me.

But you know the hookers would be all, "So, do you have any fine dining reservations yet? Have you had a chance to look at the great deals on watches?".

Is there an unlimited, you know, plan? Do you still have to tip?

Great review, I think you get better each year.

I actually prefer couch by balcony, it's nice to sit on it with a great view or with the door open.

And if you have visitors you can have kind of a conversation pit with the balcony rather than people wanting to sit on your bed.

Edited by DrD

Loving your trip report and photos! I'm sailing on Oasis in May (1st time) and have a few q's....Mostly about Adventure Ocean. Did the characters visit while your daughter was in kids club? Did you see any of the DW Trolls?

Yes, there were a couple character visits while she was there; Puss 'n Boots led the Pirate Parade (pics/details to come), and there was something with Fiona, and I heard there were a few others that she missed. I saw lots of Madagascar characters, usually around the Promenade, but none of the trolls, but I heard there were a few walking around so I must have just missed them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do all this! We're on Oasis B2B on 7 May and now know we're in a 'right is right' Cabin! Enjoying your cruise with you!!!

Isn't that just so cool to know?! So envious of your B2B! One day...

Day 2 – At Sea

Temperature – 80 degrees

33582326196_2416d72967_n.jpg

Good morning! It’s Monday, a bright and beautiful day on the ship.

33582323246_847ba1b313_n.jpg

It was VERY windy out on deck first thing this morning. I was glad I had brought a couple of cheap plastic clothespins to hold our towels to the chairs. They were like this - https://www.amazon.com/Daixers-Durable-Plastic-Clothespins-Clothes/dp/B01CCV8Q9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490362398&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=plastic+clothespins&psc=1. I ended up using them a LOT; they were lightweight and didn’t take up too much room, so they were easy to throw in my beach bag, even when we went into port. Other things that are handy to have in your beach bag (other than the obvious suntan lotion, chapstick with SPF, sunglasses, etc); baggies and plastic bags.These were good for wet rashguards and water shoes, found treasures, cellphone, lots of things.

Breakfast – We headed to the Windjammer at 8am, which ended up being our routine for most of the week. I usually woke up early and sat out on the balcony to watch the sunrise, then Jenny would wake up (I know, cruel, the one opportunity to sleep in and I was always too excited!).

'Mom, CALM DOWN and turn off the brightness!'

33582324056_09fc8454be_n.jpg

That early the WJ wasn’t too terrible; we never had an issue finding a table beside the window, which was nice, but we’re also only two people, so that helps.

As mentioned I was able to get lactaid milk for my coffee from the dude behind the drink station, and then since I had the Royal Refreshment drink package I got fresh-squeezed OJ. Now, this was a little challenging; sometimes there was someone there, but most times I had to hunt someone down. Sometimes that person could work the machine, but sometimes other people had to be pulled in to assist. Sometimes there was juice already made and ready, but not very often. So this system needs to be better, but hey, fresh juice, and I wasn’t in a hurry and #firstworldproblems and all that.

Jenny was happy they had grits, because she will always be a Southern girl at heart, and I had a very tasty veggie omelet, and for once remembered not to go crazy and eat a totally stupid amount of food (NO DONUTS FOR ME!). I love breakfast and have issues with loading up on greasy hash browns and a pound of bacon and then feeling terrible, so I had to slap my own hand whenever I found myself reaching for that stuff. Becasue yes, I'm a child.

33582325306_4e6dcba94d_n.jpg

After breakfast we killed some time walking around, and then at 9:30a it was time for the Meet & Mingle.

Meet & Mingle

I didn’t go to the meetup on the Disney ship because, well, let’s be honest, Disney cruisers are HARDCORE and a little bit crazy. They were a little too enthusiastic (one woman had made bracelets for like 75 people, ‘so we’d recognize each other easier!’ and that was just a little too much for me, although it was very sweet and from a place of love and possibly intense loneliness). Then last year I didn’t go to the Freedom meet & mingle because, well, I’d heard they were kind of lame. So this year I was like, fine, let’s try it and see what we think.

Hey, guess what, it was kind of lame.

The invites were in our cabin when we checked in, so we knew where to go and when.

33582333976_28bb3f6349_n.jpg

33582327906_ae86d32b64_n.jpg

The refreshments were water and coffee and some of your standard breakfast pastries, so nothing to write home about. It was interesting to see Dazzles, which we otherwise would never have set foot in, but as far as those hundred people that had signed up to attend? There weren’t more than two dozen people there. We each got a raffle ticket when we walked in, and they raffled off the following; a pen, a highlighter, a key chain, 30 minutes free Zoom, and four individual bottles of wine. I was very disappointed there were no RC bags or ball caps or, you know, anything I’d actually want. Jenny won the internet, of course, because she is the kind of kid who has won goldfish at the fair FOUR SEPARATE TIMES until I told her she wasn’t allowed to play that damn ping pong ball game anymore, and she was ecstatic, and our new friends $ail$-Away won the pen and a bottle of wine, so they gave the pen to Jelly and she liked that even more than the wifi. We mostly just talked to them because people weren’t really mingling. There weren’t name tags or anything, or any ‘hosting’ of the event other than the welcome and raffle, so basically it was exactly what I’d heard it was and we left after ½ an hour.

33582328656_dcf0f0a2c0_n.jpg

There were some interesting planned activities this day; sushi making, guacamole making, martini making, wine tasting, those kinds of things. But we mostly wanted some pool time. So we headed to the H2O Zone from 10a-10:45a. It rained a teensy bit from about 10:10-10:25a, but that just made it easier to get chairs J.

33582336416_a8243211fa_n.jpg

33582336876_2288cd8922_n.jpg

After we got dried off and changed, Jelly headed to the kid’s club for a brief visit, and I went to my scheduled NextCruise appointment at 11a. I had noticed that if you booked within the first three days of your cruise you received tickets for additional OBC, and mama loves the OBC. I knew I wanted the Symphony for March Break 2019, so went ahead and booked that, and held a room for my sister and her family as well in the hopes I’d be able to talk them into it. Jenny is very close to her only two cousins (one is a year older and one is a year younger, it’s perfect), but their dad doesn’t like to plan anything further out than about 2 months, so I’m still working on it. Since that trip was going to be sooooooooooo farrrrrrrrrrrrrr awayyyyyyyyy I also figured I’d throw in a Christmas cruise for next year, December 2018, but since the dates weren’t out yet I held something for this year. THAT was a mistake – now I want to keep that date! The Christmas cruises are a LOT more expensive, even on Freedom,which was what I held, and I just bought a car and am buying a house so I need to stop throwing money around like I have a sugar daddy. We’ll see. Oh, and I didn’t win that OBC, sadness, but hey, I have two cruises booked, so that’s ok!

Then it was time for lunch, and since it was a sea day, I had promised the young one Johnny Rockets.

We love LOVE this Radisson! How do they get the beds so soft?! Love, it's the only answer.

I don't know if its only the pool side rooms, but both times our beds were the Sleep number adjustable beds.

You can see the adjustment control in the bottom of this picture.

bed.jpg

Omfg you guys are killing me.

But you know the hookers would be all, "So, do you have any fine dining reservations yet? Have you had a chance to look at the great deals on watches?".

I was thinking it would be more the skin care products like after spa services.