Is Bigger Always Better? - Oasis of the Seas March 12 2017 Review

Port Canaveral – Day 1 – Departure

Alright, people, buckle up, because it’s CRUISE DAY!

33426017611_943b55cee9_n.jpg

(keep in mind that’s Celcius, don’t freak out)

We got up, got packed up, and had a small breakfast at the Radisson (my notes say grits, fresh fruit, and sweet tea; the waitress just charged us for two cereals). We got to the Thrifty rental location in Cocoa Beach at 9:45a. There was one slow person working, which I’d heard was a problem, but I’d planned for it so was ok. After 20 minutes in line (with 2 people ahead of me), the little zippy red car was checked back in at 10:05a and the shuttle came at 10:15a. We were at port by 10:30, but sat in a line of shuttles for ½ an hour, which made me bonkers.

Also, I love the Radisson dearly, but last year we waited forever for their shuttle and it was total chaos, so you've been warned. Take a taxi, or an Uber, or hitchhike (but don't get murdered).

33398140402_e1e613faa7_n.jpg

First thought – HOLY CRAP SHE’S ENORMOUS!

33398138022_559d8467e3_n.jpg

So at 11a we went through security (no line) and got to the desk to get our seapass cards (no line), and then waded into the masses to sit and wait. I would absolutely do this again (get there early, sit and wait) rather than wait in line. I can deal much better with sitting and waiting, apparently, because I don’t have the anxiety about getting checked in. Plus we only waited about 20 minutes before they made the call that they were starting boarding. We were Gold Group #5, and were on board at 11:34a.

33398137592_e5a1a00e6a_n.jpg

If you haven’t seen a card before, that’s what it looks like. There’s lot of handy info there; your dining room and location, your drink plan, your muster station, your Crown & Anchor status, and your stateroom number. And my last name, so promise not to stalk me.

Like last year I had the plain ol’ soft drink plan for Jelly, and the Royal Refreshment plan for me. I had a rude awakening last week that I should have researched better; when I was on Freedom last year the Starbucks drinks were included, however on Oasis/Harmony/Allure THEY ARE NOT. From my understanding this is because on Oasis class ships the Starbucks is a ‘true’ standalone Starbucks. Wahhhhhhhh! I’m not sure I would have bothered with this plan if I’d known. Although I really enjoyed the fresh OJ each morning, it was kind of a pain to get, and the Café Promenade options were severely limited. An additional note here; I’ve got a lactose intolerance and hate soy milk, so I try to stick with either almond milk or lactaid milk; I had no issues on this ship getting them. The Windjammer guys kept a few containers behind the coffee/juice area, so I’d just ask them to pour a little in a coffee cup in the morning, and the Café Promenade had it as well. The Starbucks had everything a regular Starbucks does.

Another side note – The freestyle machines on this ship had Vitamin Water. I am a bit of an addict DESPITE KNOWING THAT IT IS NOT GOOD FOR ME. But man, was it refreshing. My favorite flavor was orange/peach mixed.

Also, on our dining plan; I love MTD (‘My Time Dining’). I absolutely make reservations still though; this keeps you from having to wait, and usually ensures you get the same table/crew. I think that just like anything else in life, service is hit or miss on ships; on Freedom I adored our MDR waitstaff, like, wanted to be pen pals with them and took pics with them and wouldn’t have dreamed of missing the last night aboard with them. This trip – eh, not so much. Our main server wasn’t very friendly, and the other dude was never around. We only ate in the dining room two nights, which is very unusual for us. Our stateroom attendant, however – I wanted to put him in my pocket and bring him home with me. He was wonderful. It’s a hard job to do – to be both friendly and invisible. It’s the first time I left a $50 tip for someone without thinking twice about it, and Michael definitely deserved it. I miss him. My room here is a disaster and I have no clean towels. Again, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Michaellllllllll!!!!

Up Next – All Aboard!

Edited by CanadaCathi

Loving your review!!!!

We just tried Oasis/RCCL for the first time last June, and LOVED it.

At the end of the cruise, we decided that we DID miss Carnival, but would not hesitate to go back on Oasis/Allure/Harmony.

Patiently (or maybe Impatiently) waiting for more.....:')

Loving the review, can't wait for more. We are considering this itinerary on Oasis next March or a 6 night Western on Freedom so you are a great source of information!

Sent from Tapatalk

Also enjoying your review. Thank you! Can you tell me where the freestyle machines are located on Oasis?

Two near Sorrento's, two in Windjammer. Possibly one in Wipeout Cafe and the arcade.

Port Canaveral – Day 1 – Departure continued

Captain – Rob

Cruise Director – Patricio

Activities – Magic Marvin

32740378853_1d6823d6a3_n.jpg

First stop – Guest Services. I had received details on connecting to Voom when I checked in, which I hadn’t purchased. I actually LIKE to be disconnected for a week. So I’m not sure how that made it’s way onto my account, but I had them take it off and credit it, and went ahead and limited Jenny’s Sea Pass to $1 while I was there (note, they can’t totally disable spending apparently if they have a beverage package, but you can limit it so they can’t accidentally on purpose go crazy in the arcade or ordering hookers or whatever).

33398135642_5851b77297_n.jpg

Next stop – Kid’s club (‘Adventure Ocean’) registration,deck 14. Jelly is 8, so this was her last trip as an ‘Explorer’, the 6-8 age group. She’s a pretty mature 8, so I asked about sign in/sign out privileges, and they said that was fine on sea days only. SWEET! This meant that once I’d walked her back and forth a few times and she was comfortable with her way around, she could go to the club on her own, and sign herself out when she was bored (with strict instructions to go straight back to the room, nowhere else).As much as I like to think I’m not a helicopter mom I know I am, so this was a great opportunity in a very safe environment for her to have some independence.There were kids roaming ALL over the ship by themselves, so it’s not like it was uncommon.

32740377503_d3e8955d0d_n.jpg

The kid’s club on Oasis was pretty similar to that on Freedom, although bigger. There were a TON of kids on the ship; at one drop off there were 50 kids in the Explorer’s room! This means your kid(s) will likely always be able to find a friend, which is great. There was only one time when we had to wait because they needed to pull in another counselor, otherwise I had no issues. She didn’t enjoy it as much this trip, but I chalk that up to being one of the oldest ones in the group. I think when she advances to Voyagers she’ll be back to loving it.

The impressive Science Lab. I don't think she ever got to go in it.

32740378193_62dfff2eec_n.jpg

Whenever I get on a ship I am VERY overwhelmed; all the excitement and build up finally crash around me with the noises and lights and people and I get a little freaked out. I’ve learned to go and sit somewhere and try to relax a little as soon as possible, rather than running around trying to do/see too much right away. There will be plenty of time! So with that in mind, and a distinct rumbling in our stomachs, we headed to the Park Café for the famous kummelweck sandwich.

LET THE EATING BEGIN

First off, let me just say that to me, this is the biggest difference between Freedom and Oasis – this amazing open space. I LOVED Central Park. Loved. I loved it in the morning, and in the afternoon, and especially in the evening. I had my first experience with minor motion sickness on this cruise, and sitting in Central Park helped immensely. It was gorgeous. It is mind blowing that it exists on a ship. Forget all the crazy Flow Riders and ziplines and whatnot, this is where it was at. Even Jenny was enthralled by it; she would often take her sketch book and go sit. Like, just GO SIT QUIETLY!! What 8 year old voluntarily does that?! It’s the magic of the park.

32745147054_363cf534d1_n.jpg

32745147834_5659b9a697_n.jpg

There was the expected chaos at the café as people who hadn’t eaten in ALMOST 3 HOURS impatiently shuffled for position in the lineup. There was a very nice salad bar, which I politely and very grown-up like tried, and then a case with pre-made salads, sandwiches, and fruit cups, and then the sandwich/chip/soup section.

33458922161_99a4cca4f7_n.jpg

33458920441_233f4b4e7c_n.jpg

Jenny realized that she’d have all-she-could-eat Sun Chips for the week and just about lost her mind. My comments on the beef-on-weck – it’s not the NY classic, but depending on who’s slicing the meat, it’s pretty damn good. The rolls were lovely; I learned later on the galley tour that they bake fresh bread three times daily on the ship , so that’s a big part of it. A little sprinkling of salt and caraway seeds, some crusty exterior and chewy interior, with a ladle of gravy and that delicate, medium-rare beef, hopefully thinly sliced and maybe sprinkled with some salt and pepper – mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Even the picky kid who normally HATES roast beef loved it. Now, I had one or two over the course of the week that were a little too thick or fatty, and that was sad, and I could see why some people would be critical; but for the most part, yes, two thumbs up here. Eat this.

33458921381_22eb319ebe_n.jpg

Drinks in the café were things like water and unsweetened tea and two sugar-free drinks (lemon-lime and strawberry-kiwi). So, gross. But our freestyle cups didn’t appear in our rooms until almost dinner time, and I was too lazy to walk 10 feet to the trellis bar to get a soda (once we had a table we were holding onto it!), so fine, for one meal I was forced to deal. It's a tough life, I'm telling you.

A note on the chip selection - for the first few days they had Sun Chips, Doritos, Cheddar Ruffles, and Salt & Vinegar. Then later on out came the plain Lay's (my very favorite), but the Doritos were hit-or-miss. I never saw any other varieties. Don't ask me what they had for dessert - I'm a salt through-and-through :-). They did have some cookies and some, uh, cake things?

After that – time to explore!

Port Canaveral – Day 1 – Departure continued

The impressive Science Lab. I don't think she ever got to go in it.

32740378193_62dfff2eec_n.jpg

On our last several trips the kids have not gone to the lab....if it is due to cutbacks I do not know why they even keep the space. Personally I thought the concept was a great idea as my daughter enjoyed the lab ( on trips back in the day when it was actually utilized).

On our last several trips the kids have not gone to the lab....if it is due to cutbacks I do not know why they even keep the space. Personally I thought the concept was a great idea as my daughter enjoyed the lab ( on trips back in the day when it was actually utilized).

I was wondering if it was something like this, that's disappointing. I did notice they offered a handful of 'family-friendly' activities there ('Build A Volcano'), but we never made it to one.

So I’m not sure how that made it’s way onto my account, but I had them take it off and credit it, and went ahead and limited Jenny’s Sea Pass to $1 while I was there (note, they can’t totally disable spending apparently if they have a beverage package, but you can limit it so they can’t accidentally on purpose go crazy in the arcade or ordering hookers or whatever).

I don't think this is true based on our Freedom cruise. The arcade is separate and the spending limit put on a child's card has no meaning in the arcade. We found that out the hard way.

Loving your review so far! We have a cruise booked in August with an almost 9 year old (she will be 9 at the time). I'm too chicken to let her come and go as she wants though! Is there anyway for her to contact you if she gets lost? And, go canes! (We live in Raleigh).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Port Canaveral – Day 1 – Departure

Also, I love the Radisson dearly, but last year we waited forever for their shuttle and it was total chaos, so you've been warned.

We've had good luck with their shuttle, but the thing to keep in mind is they offer parking for locals who use the same shuttle, so when there are 3 or 4 ships in port you need to get out there 15 minutes ahead of time and make sure they know you are there. On the flip side, my last trip, we were on Majesty and it was the only ship in port, that was easy!

LET THE EATING BEGIN

First off, let me just say that to me, this is the biggest difference between Freedom and Oasis – this amazing open space. I LOVED Central Park. Loved. I loved it in the morning, and in the afternoon, and especially in the evening. There was the expected chaos at the café as people who hadn’t eaten in ALMOST 3 HOURS impatiently shuffled for position in the lineup. There was a very nice salad bar, which I politely and very grown-up like tried, and then a case with pre-made salads, sandwiches, and fruit cups, and then the sandwich/chip/soup section.

Drinks in the café were things like water and unsweetened tea and two sugar-free drinks (lemon-lime and strawberry-kiwi). So, gross. But our freestyle cups didn’t appear in our rooms until almost dinner time, and I was too lazy to walk 10 feet to the trellis bar to get a soda (once we had a table we were holding onto it!), so fine, for one meal I was forced to deal. It's a tough life, I'm telling you.

A note on the chip selection - for the first few days they had Sun Chips, Doritos, Cheddar Ruffles, and Salt & Vinegar. Then later on out came the plain Lay's (my very favorite), but the Doritos were hit-or-miss. I never saw any other varieties. Don't ask me what they had for dessert - I'm a salt through-and-through :-). They did have some cookies and some, uh, cake things?

After that – time to explore!

Since you visited the Park Cafe, did you not notice that you could get flavored specialty coffees in there with your RR package???? We are just off the Oasis and went there every morning!! Delicious!! I handed the very handsome young man behind the counter $1 every morning and he always gave me double shots!! Fantastic wake-up!! Loving your review!! Thanks!! I booked a "girls" cruise for 3 of us in a JS next February on Oasis!!

So I’m not sure how that made it’s way onto my account, but I had them take it off and credit it, and went ahead and limited Jenny’s Sea Pass to $1 while I was there (note, they can’t totally disable spending apparently if they have a beverage package, but you can limit it so they can’t accidentally on purpose go crazy in the arcade or ordering hookers or whatever).

I don't think this is true based on our Freedom cruise. The arcade is separate and the spending limit put on a child's card has no meaning in the arcade. We found that out the hard way.

Are you serious?! That's no good. I thought they said it would curb this. Hmm, ok, people, watch out for this!

Loving your review so far! We have a cruise booked in August with an almost 9 year old (she will be 9 at the time). I'm too chicken to let her come and go as she wants though! Is there anyway for her to contact you if she gets lost? And, go canes! (We live in Raleigh).

Yes another Caniac, good work!

No, this is where Disney has Royal beat; there is no walkie-talkie or ship phone or messaging system or the like. Our system was, if she got lost she was to find a ship worker and have them take her to Guest Services so they could call me. But really, by the 2nd day she knew her way around that thing better than me, so I wasn't nervous at all.