Coral Princess - Crab Shack?

RoperDK

Sailing Alaska SB this August. We have a complimentary specialty restaurant coupon. Is the crab shack considered a specialty restaurant or an event? Will we be able to use the coupon? Does anyone know how many nights they have the crab shack? I've heard it is popular and sells out. We will reserve as soon as we can once onboard, but where do we go? They had it in the buffet area on the Regal, there wasn't a separate restaurant.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

We were on the Coral last year for an 11 night Panama canal cruise. They offered the Crab Shack twice during that time. I think it was on sea days. It was held on one side of the Horizon Court and cost at that time $20. I think it's now $29, but with your coupon that won't matter.

We really enjoyed it and hope they'll have it on the Grand next month when we go to Hawaii.

• 2 months later...
We are sailing on the Coral SB from Whittier on July 1, 2017. Can someone please explain more about Crab Shack? I've googled and searched many boards and this does not come up on the Princess website. Thank you!

The dining information on the Princess website classifies Crab Shack as an upcharge feature of the buffet, offered on select nights:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/whats-included/

HORIZON COURT BUFFET

Indulge in a delightful array of familiar favorites and regional dishes, in a casual setting at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and be sure to try the Crab Shack on select evenings. Check back throughout the day as selections change and enjoy fresh fruits, a loaded salad bar and desserts galore. And our waiters are always nearby to serve your favorite beverage.

Charges apply for Crab Shack.

But on the Dining Options Document it is listed under Specialty Dining:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

Crab Shack — Seafood lovers will have a full crab shack experience and the opportunity to enjoy Bayou-style boiled crawfish and sausage, spiced peel and eat shrimp, or a mixed steamer pot filled with snow crab, jumbo shrimp, clams, and mussels.
As above the cost is $29 (now the same as other specialty restaurants) so it certainly is fine to ask if your voucher is valid there. I would call the Dine Line on embarkation day to find out which days it is offered.

Unfortunately no one has recently posted the current menu. Scattered reports are that the pot of only King Crab Legs is not always available, and requests that the mixed steamer pot have additional crab added are not always responded to.

...and it is so true that Princess seems to bury any publicity about this venue. Yet they push SHARE and Salty Dog prominently even though they are on three ships each while Crab Shack is offered on eleven :confused:

Thanks everyone. I am the OP. I am hoping to get a definitive answer before we head out on our cruise in August. If we don't use our coupon for the Crab Shack, we were considering using it to eat at Sabatini's on the first night. If someone reads this and is cruising SB on the Coral, would you please note the nights of the Crab Shack and what the "Alaskan menu" actually contains. It would be much appreciated.

Dawn

What I would do is once on board call the dine line and ask to make reservations for the Crab Shack. You can not make reservations in advance. Also, there is usually a table set up in the buffet area where they are promoting the Crab Shack.