Waitlist

janecambridge

We have a cruise booked but due to certain circumstances we may not take it.January 2018.

The alternative cruise (April 2018) is wait listed for the cabin we want.

Questions..

Can I transfer my deposit for January cruise to April cruise waitlist?

Is it worth me putting seperate deposit on April cruise and hanging on to my January cruise just in case I am unable to get required cabin?

Waitlist at 15 months out,is there any chance we will get the cabin?

It is Oceana suites we are talking about for a celebration.We don't think the vista suites on smaller ships look as nice as Oceania suites.

Thank you.

I would talk to your TA

Not sure how it works in the UK

On this side of the pond they will refund the deposit & rebook the new cruise

not sure if they now do a straight transfer of deposits they did not in the past

JMO

We have a cruise booked but due to certain circumstances we may not take it.January 2018.

The alternative cruise (April 2018) is wait listed for the cabin we want.

Questions..

Can I transfer my deposit for January cruise to April cruise waitlist?

Is it worth me putting seperate deposit on April cruise and hanging on to my January cruise just in case I am unable to get required cabin?

Waitlist at 15 months out,is there any chance we will get the cabin?

It is Oceana suites we are talking about for a celebration.We don't think the vista suites on smaller ships look as nice as Oceania suites.

Thank you.

Bear in mind too that a wait list is just an option on "IF" a cabin opens up.... and" if " it does, the prevailing price , when it does, will be the one offered and may or may not be what you were expecting.!!!!..it could be hundreds to thousands more... supply and demand if you dont get it or take the opening then you get a refund...at least in the USA

First, Have your TA find out how long the waitlist is for those suites. As a guide, that may help steer your decision.

As a practice, Oceania sells, and encourages the sell of, hundreds, if not thousands, of cabins every year as place holders to those on current cruises. A large percentage of those placeholders are later shifted to other cruises that best meets the cruisers desires. The sell of those placeholders, particularly on low supply cabins such as PH and above cabins, distorts the perceived availability of those cabins on many desirable cruises, thereby distorting the market for cabins. A lot of those placeholders are not released until the Final Payment Due date. It's only then that anyone, including Oceania Cruises, knows what is available and what isn't.

A lot of GIGO exists with Oceania's reservations system, particularly until FPD. Unless, your desired cruise is a highly popular single yearly cruise by O, I wouldn't let the GIGO divert your planning.

I assume the itinerary you want is not part of a longer one. In my case, I had booked a segment from Barcelona to Miami for November 2018. Some of the categories were listed as "waitlist." When I decided to add the segment prior (Venice to Barcelona) that same category had availability and I got one of them.

I think you've been given good advice above but I'm not certain you couldn't find out the same information directly.

Your replies are very helpful.

We are booked on Marina and the April cruise is Marina too.

I did try my agent who,like me tried Oceania direct.They were not able to tell us much at all.I spoke to two different agents at Oceania and they would not tell me how many on waitlist,only the cost of the deposit.As usual I got "we don't know as it comes from head office".

As always I have had far more help from the posts here.

Thank you so much.

As usual I got "we don't know as it comes from head office".
It is counter intuitive, but how many people there are on a Wait List is the least important part of the equation.

What matters is how the ship can most profitably be filled by meticulously leveraging the demand which that List represents.

That mechanism is often the difference between profitability and losing money, so "their process" is not something to discuss with every amateur who calls in search of "a better way".