Panama Canal - Help-Limited Mobility

Lechat

Please advice on what to do on the ports of call for Panama Canal and Central America - I will be wearing a walking boot due to injured foot. What tours would be best to do with limited mobility and can you advice on a good restaurants.

Also, what would be best a rollato walker or a knee walker to use outside of cruise?

This is my first time traveling with an injury so I don't know what to do...We leave in a week!

Hi there

It would be good to know more about your "fitness" generally apart from your foot injury.

I don't believe a rollator/walker would work well outside, they are more suitable for level terrain. A knee scooter might be just as difficult on uneven ground.

Have you considered just a pair of crutches? If you have the strength they would allow you to get around most places. If you are not able to support yourself with crutches, is there someone in your party that would be able to push you in a wheelchair. If that were possible, you could rent a folding chair from a local dealer. You would then have it available for your travel days (airport), as well as just getting onto the ship. There is a lot of standing/walking just in the check-in/embarkation process.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

The Rollator style will allow you to sit down on it when tired, so I would advise this over knee walker. But it depends on how much weight and strength you have on injured knee. Are you able to get around on both legs? Then lean toward rollator. Knee walker means all strength must be on uninjured knee and no seat to rest on

Sent from my SM-T537V using Forums mobile app

Request passenger assist with your airline... don't wear yourself out getting to and from the ship. You can get passenger assist to get on and off the ship, as well. They will take you in elevators that mobile people can't use and you'll avoid waiting in all of the lines (airport AND ship). I wouldn't want to try to board or disembark a ship on crutches! Onboard I'd use crutches if possible, and get a wheelchair rental for "just in case". I did see one person using a knee scooter on my last cruise. I worried about her injured foot sticking out the back getting bumped. Having passenger assist means whoever you're traveling with will get help with you and your stuff. Do it for him/her if you won't do it for yourself. Also, if you are making a connection in an airport, your connecting flight will wait for you so long as your first flight arrives before your connection leaves IF you have passenger assist on your ticket. Just call to have it added.

I hope you feel better soon and that your unfortunate injury doesn't hamper a great vacation.

I assume you've been participating on your roll call for your specific sailing. We took a private excursion in Cartagena from Lee Miles and it was great. 4 of us in a private small van. We did a good deal of walking, however, in the old town and up at the fort and in the palace of the inquisition. We even asked for the driver to take us to a nice place to eat that locals go to, and he found a hole in the wall spot that looked dangerous but inside it was like a lovely country club and we had the best fresh fish, lovely conversation and superb wine.

You didn't mention how mobile you are, or what your general activity level is. If you can't do stairs or uneven surfaces, some places will be hard and you might be better with a general small van tour. It's maybe late for you to get in the group excursions with your fellow passengers, but if you haven't been on your roll call, click up above "Find Your Roll Call" and better late than never.

The transit THROUGH the canal IS an excursion in itself! There's really no huge need to get off the ship, unless there is something you MUST do or see! It's hot and humid as you'll ever experience...having the AC to hop back into is a huge perk!!!

Please advice on what to do on the ports of call for Panama Canal and Central America - I will be wearing a walking boot due to injured foot. What tours would be best to do with limited mobility and can you advice on a good restaurants.

Also, what would be best a rollato walker or a knee walker to use outside of cruise?

This is my first time traveling with an injury so I don't know what to do...We leave in a week!

I agree with the person who said to get a wheel chair. The ground can be uneven for a walker or knee one. In Costa Rica We did a tour with the ship. It took us by bus, then on a boat down a river, saw lots of birds and crocodiles ! It was really good! Cartagena I would only do through the ship, maybe there is one that is wheel chair accessible .

Hope you enjoy your trip even so!