Marriott brands in Seattle

Staying on Marriott points in July for 3 nights. Cruise leaves from Vancouver so we don't need to be near Seattle cruise terminal, but...where are the best Marriott brand places to stay to be able to walk/ short uber/public transport (light rail/monorail) to the usual tourist destinations?

Staying on Marriott points in July for 3 nights. Cruise leaves from Vancouver so we don't need to be near Seattle cruise terminal, but...where are the best Marriott brand places to stay to be able to walk/ short uber/public transport (light rail/monorail) to the usual tourist destinations?

I would look out near the airport . Cheaper than downtown and shuttle to/from airport and to the light rail to downtown.

Depending on where you can get in using points, my picks would be the Waterfront Marriott, the Pioneer Square Courtyard, the Lake Union Residence Inn, or the Springhill Suites downtown. Of those, I'd really try for the Marriott or the Residence Inn on Lake Union, which has a streetcar stop in front of it that will take you to Westlake for all of the downtown activities. But any of them would be fine.

If you do a signup for a Starwood SPG account, you can link it to your Marriott Rewards account. That way, you can transfer MR points to SPG points, which opens up all the Starwood properties in the SEA area (W, Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, Aloft, Element. It's easy to do, AND you get status matched. I've been *wood Gold for quite awhile now. I did the MR link and I'm now also MR Gold. Using those crossover points from my SPG account to stay at a Springhill Suites at the cruise terminal in San Diego.

The only catch is that you only earn on the brand you are using - stay at a Marriott, get MR points, stay at a *wood, get SPG points. When they do the "big merge" of the two programs (last I heard at work was maybe 2018)

Trick I learned a while back. Go to TripAdvisor.com and do a hotel search and in the options at the left find hotel brands and check mark all the ones that apply to your loyalty program. Then the map will show pins just for the ones that match in the area you are searching (such as Seattle or SeaTac).

Agree that SeaTac area will be a lot less expensive and Link lightrail is very convenient to get to downtown. From downtown at Westlake Center you can then take Monorail to Seattle Center or city bus to places like Ballard Locks.

If you do a signup for a Starwood SPG account, you can link it to your Marriott Rewards account. That way, you can transfer MR points to SPG points, which opens up all the Starwood properties in the SEA area (W, Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, Aloft, Element. It's easy to do, AND you get status matched. I've been *wood Gold for quite awhile now. I did the MR link and I'm now also MR Gold. Using those crossover points from my SPG account to stay at a Springhill Suites at the cruise terminal in San Diego.

The only catch is that you only earn on the brand you are using - stay at a Marriott, get MR points, stay at a *wood, get SPG points. When they do the "big merge" of the two programs (last I heard at work was maybe 2018)

Thanks so much for the tip Slidergirl! I was able to use my Marriott points for the Seattle Westin next month.

Thanks so much for the tip Slidergirl! I was able to use my Marriott points for the Seattle Westin next month.

Nice choice. I've stayed at the Seattle Westin pre-cruise before and loved it. Great location - easy to walk to the main sites. Well kept hotel. Good choice!!

My pleasure!

It is a nice thing that Marriott is doing for both loyalty programs. Now, once they come up with the strategy to merge both programs in to one, well, we will see who gets the short of the stick with point conversion and decrease of elite amenities. Hope they take the best of both, but that hasn't worked out in most mergers (like the UA/CO, AA/US/HP mergers)