Travel insurance and gratuities

MICMAN

You do not need to include taxes/port fees/gratuities in your total insured amount because those are refundable in the event you don't take the cruise. I have confirmed this numerous times with InsureMyTrip as well as Carnival. Actually had it happen once on Celebrity and once on Carnival. All of them were put back on the CC used to make final payment when one person was canceled and one was a no show.

Different companies have different requirements as far as if you want things like preexisting conditions, cancel for any reason options, etc. Give the IMT people a call. They are super helpful.

Edited by firemanbobswife

For the travel insurance, Carnival insurance is not optimal--limited coverages, more expensive, and conflict of interest if you have a claim because its their cruise.

That comparison site Insure My Travel recommended CSA Travel Protection http://www.csatravelprotection.com as CSA has highest coverages on emergency medical transport even on their standard plan at affordable prices.

CSA will cover pre existing conditions up to final payment of the cruise but if you want the trip cancellation coverages for any reason you need to buy at time you put deposit on the cruise.

For the travel insurance, Carnival insurance is not optimal--limited coverages, more expensive, and conflict of interest if you have a claim because its their cruise.

Conflict of interest?

First time I've ever heard that. Especially since the policy is actually underwritten by Berkeley.

Do I purchase Carnivals insurance? No.

However, it is a fixed price for those individuals who have reached an age where 3rd party insurance costs have become prohibitive.

Carnivals policy also includes Cancel For Any Reason and Cancel for Job Related Purposes.

All built into the one price.

3rd party companies charge extra for these riders.

Conflict of interest?

First time I've ever heard that. Especially since the policy is actually underwritten by Berkeley.

Do I purchase Carnivals insurance? No.

However, it is a fixed price for those individuals who have reached an age where 3rd party insurance costs have become prohibitive.

Carnivals policy also includes Cancel For Any Reason and Cancel for Job Related Purposes.

All built into the one price.

3rd party companies charge extra for these riders.

Also - Carnival's does not cover pre-existing conditions, nor will they cover airfare/hotel expenses. We use Travelguard Gold plan. If purchased within 14 days of initial deposit it will cover pre-existing conditions, which we have in my family. We have had to make claims 2x, and they were wonderful in helping, and we got pretty quick paybacks.

If you want insurance that covers pre-existing conditions (and not all policies offer that), you generally have to purchase it within 10-15 days of your initial payment on the trip, i.e. the deposit. Check the various policies on InsureMyTrip or SquareMouth (another recommended site for travel insurance) carefully for conditions.

I been using GeoBlue, its blue cross/shield international and they have all top notch ratings by thousands of people including wonderful rates, includes pre-existing condtions and excellent coverage....getting their policy couldn't get any easier, simply a call and they send you the info online right away where you can print out your ID card. I use the voyager plan but they also have a trekker plan that covers all your trips for a year too. Check them out!

I use Geo Blue also BUT it is only health coverage/repatriation etc.

It is not coverage for trip cancellation,delay, luggage, or anything like that.

I get that coverage from my credit card . The Geo Blue plans can be for one trip or for one year and they do cover pre existing conditions etc.

I'd definitely get insurance we've been using insure my trip. Sometimes it seems a waste when you've never used it but...

Just off a cruise with a stop in Nassau a little girl had went under in the water several times and was barely breathing but mentally not responding. She was taken by ambulance and unfortunately we will never know the ending (i hope it was good) but if the family didn't have insurance how will they pay for possibly a huge bill?

Exactly....whats a few dollars more for the trip, at least in case of these emergencies you won't get hit with a huge debt. I have pre-existing conditions which make me prone to anything happening, so if you have pre-existing conditions make sure its included in the coverage, again, I highly recommend GeoBlue.