Passport question

daniella1279

My neighbor and her family are booking a cruise that will leave in less then a month. Her and her husband were born in another country. They are US citizens however their passports have expired. It's going to cost then a good chunk of money to renew then quickly. Can they use something else in replace of passport? Drivers license and proof of Us citizenship?

Thanks for any help.

Danielle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Refer to NCLs page. Need proof of citizenship. Plus proof of ID. A simple passport renewal can be done in 3 weeks for $60.00 if you apply tomorrow. Plenty of time before the 5/13 sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Refer to NCLs page. Need proof of citizenship. Plus proof of ID. A simple passport renewal can be done in 3 weeks for $60.00 if you apply tomorrow. Plenty of time before the 5/13 sailing.

I applied to have a passport renewed- sent the application 12/23 received the new passport 1/7. I don't know if this is typical, but I was thrilled with the speed of the process.

Despite the fact that they are US Citizens, because they were not born in this country, they should absolutely pay for the expedited passports. If you read the recent news reports, it is citizens just like them that have been stopped coming back into the country. Better to be safe than sorry!

Despite the fact that they are US Citizens, because they were not born in this country, they should absolutely pay for the expedited passports. If you read the recent news reports, it is citizens just like them that have been stopped coming back into the country. Better to be safe than sorry!

No, it wasn't US citizens that were stopped coming back into the country. The people who were stopped were foreign nationals who despite having valid visas were denied entry because they were citizens of one of the countries that were named in the travel ban executive order that was subsequently struck down by the courts.

A naturalized US citizen can travel on a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise by presenting their certificate of naturalization and a government ID such as a drivers license. A person who was a US citizen at birth but born in a foreign country can travel using a consular certificate of birth abroad plus photo ID as is stated on the NCL web page to which a link was provided earlier in the thread.

Edited by njhorseman

No citizens have been stopped at the borders. Just foreign nationals (i.e., non-US citizens).

Completely incorrect

I'm on the band wagon. Your post is "false news" :p

> A simple passport renewal

Since the passports have expired, it is NOT a simple renewal. I also had to replace an expired passport and I had to set up an appointment, go to my nearest passport center (100 miles away), and present my supporting documents (including the expired passport) in person. On the plus side, it only took a few minutes, and the processing officer said if I wanted to come back in 2 hours, I could take my new passport home. I thanked him profusely and waited!

Since the passports have expired, it is NOT a simple renewal. I also had to replace an expired passport and I had to set up an appointment, go to my nearest passport center (100 miles away), and present my supporting documents (including the expired passport) in person. On the plus side, it only took a few minutes, and the processing officer said if I wanted to come back in 2 hours, I could take my new passport home. I thanked him profusely and waited!

You don't have to go to a passport center just because you're renewing an expired passport. Going through the process of applying for a new passport rather than a simple renewal would only be required if the passport had been issued more than 15 years ago, had been issued before your 16th birthday, had been damaged, lost or stolen or had been issued in a previous name and you didn't have proof of the name change. Further even under those circumstances you don't have to go to a passport center that can issue a new passport on the spot, it can be done by going to the agency in your area that processes ordinary new passport applications, usually a post office or county clerk's office. You then will receive your passport back several weeks later as is normally the case.

Here are the State Department's requirements for both new and renewal passport issuance:

https://www.usa.gov/passport

> it can be done by going to the agency in your area that processes ordinary new passport applications, usually a post office or county clerk's office.

That is NOT the informaiton I was given when I called the U.S. government passport office phone number and asked. Either you are incorrect, or the process has changed (which is certainly possible). Furthermore, since the OP indicated there was a time crunch, I would worry that a routine renewal would get back in time.

I did mine and my wife's passports recently, right after i booked our 5/7 sailing to Bermuda on the BA. Both took 10 business days from the day I mailed them to the day I received them, it might be worth paying for expedited for peace of mind. BUT they shouldn't need passports - just proof of citizenship as mentioned above. the only reason a passport is preferred is that if something happens while in a foreign country it may make it harder to return to the US.

> it can be done by going to the agency in your area that processes ordinary new passport applications, usually a post office or county clerk's office.

That is NOT the informaiton I was given when I called the U.S. government passport office phone number and asked. Either you are incorrect, or the process has changed (which is certainly possible). Furthermore, since the OP indicated there was a time crunch, I would worry that a routine renewal would get back in time.

That has been the process for many years, and I can vouch for that as a former travel agency owner who frequently had to advise clients about obtaining passports. I didn't make anything up. Read the official State Department web page to which I provided the link, it proves I am correct. If you think about the quality of telephone customer service you get from almost any company or organization these days it should be of no surprise that you got bad information from the person you spoke to...or perhaps they didn't understand exactly what you were asking.

the passport I renewed had been expired for a few YEARS, my wife's for a few months. both were processed via the mail. went to rite-aid for the photos.