Aft Balcony for Family of 4

morningstar4

I booked an aft balcony on the Gem for our family, which includes my husband and two boys - 13 and 10. We have never sailed in an aft cabin before and I love the idea of watching the wake and having a really large balcony. We received our upgrade email and I'm debating whether to bid on a 2 bedroom haven, which I believe has a much smaller balcony but more interior space, versus keeping our aft facing cabin. How crowded is an aft cabin for 4 people? Will we have to climb over furniture or each other to access the balcony when the beds are pulled out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked an aft balcony on the Gem for our family, which includes my husband and two boys - 13 and 10. We have never sailed in an aft cabin before and I love the idea of watching the wake and having a really large balcony. We received our upgrade email and I'm debating whether to bid on a 2 bedroom haven, which I believe has a much smaller balcony but more interior space, versus keeping our aft facing cabin. How crowded is an aft cabin for 4 people? Will we have to climb over furniture or each other to access the balcony when the beds are pulled out?

What room are you currently in? The Gem also has 2 bedroom suites not in the Haven which should be cheaper - are any of those available? The 2 BR suites on Gem balconies are not crazy tiny like the ones on BA/GA.

With kids that age the aft balcony would be a bit tight IMO. The 2 BR would give you basically an inside room inside the suite.

What room are you currently in? The Gem also has 2 bedroom suites not in the Haven which should be cheaper - are any of those available? The 2 BR suites on Gem balconies are not crazy tiny like the ones on BA/GA.

With kids that age the aft balcony would be a bit tight IMO. The 2 BR would give you basically an inside room inside the suite.

We're currently booked in 10168. The minimum bid for a 2

bedroom suite outside the haven is $1500 and in the haven is $2000. :confused:

We absolutely love the aft balcony. We have had 3. But we don't spend that much time on our balcony and would much rather have the bigger cabin.You will spend far more time in your cabin than on your balcony.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm debating whether a 2 bedroom is worth it partly because we spend so little time in our cabin. Are all of the 2 bedrooms forward? Not sure if that would cause motion sickness....

We had an aft suite on ??? Either jewel or dawn. Balcony was nice although it rained all week and didn't use it. Cabin was way too small. Would only let us book 3 . Daughter and family had 4 so we booked one of the kids in our cabin. They all 4 stayed together (just did it for booking) they were wall to wall crowded.

We love the SJ family suites. They are not on every ship so ok I may of answered my own question must of had the aft suite on jewel cause we have family suite on dawn.

Is that $1500 per person and $2000 per person? I know whatever you bid is per person for the first two in the cabin. No extra charge for #3 and #4. You will have much more usable space with either two bedroom suite.

Those rooms on 10 are nice. Is the bid total or pp for the first two people? If total, I'd go for it.

And yes, the SC rooms are forward on 11. The rooms are super nice though. The bathroom is huge. Shower overlooks the ocean. Plus all the suite amenities.

Is that $1500 per person and $2000 per person? I know whatever you bid is per person for the first two in the cabin. No extra charge for #3 and #4. You will have much more usable space with either two bedroom suite.

sorry...i wasn't clear....that's total not each

Those rooms on 10 are nice. Is the bid total or pp for the first two people? If total, I'd go for it.

And yes, the SC rooms are forward on 11. The rooms are super nice though. The bathroom is huge. Shower overlooks the ocean. Plus all the suite amenities.

bid is total.... wish i could bid on an aft suite! does that exist?

I was wondering too if one can upgrade to aft balconies...

for example, i have a balcony currently but would not mind bidding a good amount on the aft cabins

We always book an aft facing balcony, I always book very early, I think they sell out before they would ever be offered to bid on.

We always cruise in an aft-facing cabin. When we traveled with our grandson (12 yo), he wanted to sleep in the pull-down bunk. Worked out ok but severely limited our access to the balcony. So we switched him to the sofa-bed. If you don't pull it out to full length, it leaves enough room to slip by to get to the balcony door - while you crouch down under the pull-down. It's doable - but not enjoyable.

> Will we have to climb over furniture or each other to access the balcony when the beds are pulled out?

You might want to call Norwegian and ask where the extra beds is/are if you haven't already. We have an aft balcony on the Pearl (same class as the Gem) so the extra 2 people share a pull-out sofabed. That looks like it will pretty much eat up the room between the main bed and the balcony when opened, but maybe your room layout is different.

bid is total.... wish i could bid on an aft suite! does that exist?

There are aft suites on Gem but nowhere near as large or nice as the SC. Search for some videos of the Gem rooms on 11 for the 2BR.

> Will we have to climb over furniture or each other to access the balcony when the beds are pulled out?

You might want to call Norwegian and ask where the extra beds is/are if you haven't already. We have an aft balcony on the Pearl (same class as the Gem) so the extra 2 people share a pull-out sofabed. That looks like it will pretty much eat up the room between the main bed and the balcony when opened, but maybe your room layout is different.

thanks....i didn't realize there were different layouts. i thought is was a pull-down bed and a pullout sofa in all of them....wasn't sure how we'd access the balcony if both were out...will have to call and ask.

There are aft suites on Gem but nowhere near as large or nice as the SC. Search for some videos of the Gem rooms on 11 for the 2BR.

thanks! i'm not sure whether the outside space or inside space is more important to us.... i love the idea of the aft view so much that i'm hesitant to give it up but i'm afraid that we won't even be able to access the balcony when the extra beds are pulled out

We always cruise in an aft-facing cabin. When we traveled with our grandson (12 yo), he wanted to sleep in the pull-down bunk. Worked out ok but severely limited our access to the balcony. So we switched him to the sofa-bed. If you don't pull it out to full length, it leaves enough room to slip by to get to the balcony door - while you crouch down under the pull-down. It's doable - but not enjoyable.

this is really helpful- thanks! was the sofa-bed long enough to fit your grandson when it wasn't fully pulled out?

We have been in a balcony cabin on deck 10 on the Pearl, 10668 or 10168 aft, with our kids, a party of 4 just like you. Our kids, a boy and a girl are a bit older. The pull down and the couch do block easy access to the balcony. We made it work. We used the balcony a lot as we were in Alaska. We really enjoyed the cabin even though the space was a bit tight.

We have also stayed in the SC suites on deck 11 on the Gem. We love those suites as the 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms are ideal.

@morningstar4

It was long enough for him. The last of the three sections slides in or out to fit the occupant. Since he was 12 years old, he had no problem and we were able to squeeze by his feet without disturbing him.

@morningstar4

No, not at the same time. After his first night below tithe ceiling we decided to try the sofa. The upper bunk is the more obstructing one. I'll gladly send you two pics, post 4 opa at gmail.

@morningstar4

No, not at the same time. After his first night below tithe ceiling we decided to try the sofa. The upper bunk is the more obstructing one. I'll gladly send you two pics, post 4 opa at gmail.

would love to see pics if you don't mind posting them...