Beer and wine

aprild3

I've been on a lot of the boards on here and another cruising site and have seen many conversations about bringing beer and wine on board, but I'm not sure if the same rule applies to the British Isles cruise I'll be on in June...So question is, are we able to bring the two bottles of wine (I don't want to pay corkage) when embarking and then when we are at different ports can we bring a 6-pack of beer back on with us. I know they take the liquor from you, but I'm seeing so many different stories about the beer and wine being brought on board. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on a lot of the boards on here and another cruising site and have seen many conversations about bringing beer and wine on board, but I'm not sure if the same rule applies to the British Isles cruise I'll be on in June...So question is, are we able to bring the two bottles of wine (I don't want to pay corkage) when embarking and then when we are at different ports can we bring a 6-pack of beer back on with us. I know they take the liquor from you, but I'm seeing so many different stories about the beer and wine being brought on board. Any ideas?

You will definitely be able to bring your two bottles (one bottle each) of wine aboard at embarkation without paying a corkage fee. Just remember that you can't take the bottle to the dining room or you will then be charged corkage.

The policy in ports after embarkation is less clear but most people are never questioned at all when bringing wine aboard at port stops. I have brought beer onboard once (in Hawaii) and wasn't questioned. Many say they have had the same experience. It is the port of embarkation where things are very tight. Of course you might get some uptight clown when you try bringing wine or beer aboard at a port stop but the general consensus seems to be that you "should" be OK.

How's that for a definite maybe of an answer... ;p

Can you bring two 1.5 liters bottles?

long cruiser

No. They'll catch that for sure & probably just deny you boarding with them. They don't make allowances for any size bottles/boxes other than 750 ml.

Although you might be able to get them aboard at a distant port since they don't check very carefully.

According to the passage contract each passenger of drinking age can carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine without charge at embarkation.These bottles are for use in your cabin. Additional 750ml bottles can be carried on, they will be marked, and you are charged a $15 corkage/bottle. Marked bottles can be used anywhere on the ship. Beer and other spirits can not be brought on board.

It is the experience of some that additional bottles of wine can be carried on without charge at ports of call. This may be or may not be allowed on your cruise. You could be charged the corkage fee. Beer is never to be brought on board, but of course some passengers do get beer by the screening process.

People have also been denied fortified wine such as Port. It has a higher alcohol content than most types of wine and has been confiscated at boarding. (I guess that means that Thunderbird, Night Train, and MD 20/20 also won't be allowed. :halo:)

when we are at different ports can we bring a 6-pack of beer back on with us.

We have done this on occasion. Once, in Hawaii, it was taken from us. It was returned the last night, cold. Thanks Princess for chilling my beer.:D

Always wondered that as well. Ive heard of people bringing in bottles with them on port depending on the security. Can always get friendly and "tip" them if anything then pretend you didn't know. Really depends on how the security is feeling that day. Day of arrival is 750ml PP, sadly no hard liquor/spirits.

Always wondered that as well. Ive heard of people bringing in bottles with them on port depending on the security. Can always get friendly and "tip" them if anything then pretend you didn't know. Really depends on how the security is feeling that day. Day of arrival is 750ml PP, sadly no hard liquor/spirits.

No it does not depend on how they are feeling. They don't make or change the rules.

It would be like bribing a police officer. Its their job to follow the ships/security/company policies.

They are not going to risk their job to allow you to bring on some liquor.

If nothing is said and you cruise through with some wine then so be it.