Alaska cruise question

puli

Having cruised to Alaska 3 previous times I now see a new port...Icy Straights! However , one must sail on the Island Princess...is this new port worth it? an added bonus is that new communication roll out system is now on the Island Princess,,,,guess they are trying everything possible to make up for that calamity re-fitting!

Having cruised to Alaska 3 previous times I now see a new port...Icy Straights! However , one must sail on the Island Princess...is this new port worth it? an added bonus is that new communication roll out system is now on the Island Princess,,,,guess they are trying everything possible to make up for that calamity re-fitting!

Say what???

From what I've read, Icy Straight Point is a privately developed port. I don't think there is anything to do there except ship's excursions or shop in their developer controlled shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a huge Zip Line in Icy Strait Point, and great whale watching out of Icy Strait Point as well.

There are several local whale watch vendors that you can book yourself without going through the cruise line. I think you can also do the zip line on your own as well.

We stopped at Icy Strait Point last summer on the Sun Princess (a cruise from Sydney Australia). It was a very nice stop with lots of information about native culture from the Haida people. You can choose active excursions such as zip lining, or more leisurely activities such as a ride through the forest which included a stop at a beach to view whales from land. There were also whale watching excursions which people were raving about.

We've been to Icy Strait Point several times, including the very first cruise ship to call there. It is run by the Tlingit people who live in the village of Hoonah, which is about a mile from the site. It is their former cannery that they have refashioned into a tourist destination. The shopping is all local merchants (some from Juneau or Skagway). The bear watch is still there (or at least it was last season) and a great attraction. Last season they added a dock, so you don't have to tender. For those with mobility issues there is a shuttle that runs from the dock to the visitor center (it's a rather steep hill to climb). There is a nature trail, cultural exhibits, and bicycling in addition to an awesome zip-line (they take you to the top of a mountain and the the line drops about 1200 feet or so). We haven't had the nerve to try it, but it sure looks like a lot of fun and everyone seems to be laughing and smiling when they get off.

We have seen whales jumping and playing in the cove adjacent to the site. The whale watching tours seem to be very successful.

The best part is that your ship will be the only one in port. The Tlingit only allow one ship at a time, so that the area won't get overrun with tourists. It is a very laid back feeling and not as "touristy" as the other SE ports.

We were there last year and it is a nice port with whale watching and bear tours. Nothing really developed other than a couple of restaurants, some local craft shops, and a zipline. There is a nice walk into the town along the straight and a small developed nature walk through the rain forest. We saw whales up close right by the walkway. Also lots of bald eagles. Very nice people.