Which glacier cruise to choose from ?

dipan0000

Hello,

We will be visiting in first week of July and would be going to Whittier, Seward as well as Valdez. Seward cruises will go into open/bumpy sea, so being sea-sickness prone, we would not take that. That leaves us with two options :-

Cruise from Whittier (again two options, Blackstone Bay or Surprise Glacier ?)

Cruise from Valdez (http://www.stephenscruises.com)

If we have to take only one, which one will be more scenic from photographic point of view. Or better question should be, how should we decide, which one to pick ?

Thanks

Any of them are excellent. The Whittier-based cruises will take you to the face of several glaciers while the Valdez trip will take you into the ice-filled bay of Columbia Glacier. Columbia has been rapidly retreating for many years and you really can't get close to the face while the Whittier cruises emphasize glaciers. I like the longer ones that go to Surprise Glacier but the Blackstone Bay trips are also excellent. The picture below was taken on a Blackstone Bay trip in fact.

Its hard to decide between Glacier faced cruised (Whittier) and ice-filled bay (Columbia Glacier). Pictures doesn't do justice, but I will try to look more videos, if they can help me to choose one, which will be more picture-perfect.

you might also consider Lu Lu Belle in Valdez.

This travel blogger/photographer spent almost 3 months in 2015 travelling to and around Alaska by RV.

Check out their entry on June 21 "Prince William Sound" for their trip on the lulu belle, as well as their kayak trip on the 26th and more Valdez photos on the 27th.

http://www.islandgirlwalkabout.com/2015/06/21/prince-william-sound/#more-23965

I loved Valdez but both visits were at the end of August with lousy weather so no boat tour, no kayak.

You might enjoy their Denali visit also. Being a photographer he entered the lottery to have access to the park with his own car for aweek. And was lucky enough to get it. They spent a few days at Riley nr the entrance, then moved to Teklanika. photos start in early August.

http://www.islandgirlwalkabout.com/2015/08/12/denali-national-park/

mapleleaves : Thanks for links and suggestion. I will check more on Lu Lu Belle. Though, it seems small boat, which may be prone to sea-sickness. Also, I will be travelling with a baby, so continuous commentary for 8 hours (as I read in reviews) may not let him sleep if he wants to sleep for sometime :-)

Thanks Coral.

I do the 26 Glacier Cruise out of Whittier every chance I get. It is pretty much non-stop glaciers within 30 minutes of leaving Whittier. Love watching the seals and sea otters hauled out on the ice. I haven't been out of Valdez in many years - back then you couldn't get very close to the Columbia Glacier as it was rapidly receding and throwing off lots of ice that blocked the fjord.