Canada Place for Cruise Departure

TestingH2O

We are cruising out of Canada Place in July. There will be 3 ships departing that day. I've read quite a few trip reports that indicate customs can get very backed up. Is there a sweet spot for arrival time to minimize the lines? We are staying at the Pan Pacific so there is really no commute time and we can head out whenever.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

As late as possible (but 90mins before your scheduled departure time). While being early means short queues at CBP/Security/Check-in desks it's inherently inefficient as you will be forced to wait around before any of these until boarding actually begins; total end-to-end wait time is only minimised by arriving as late as possible.

Some folks of course feel their vaycay doesn't start until they board, so are more concerned about being onboard as soon as possible than what the actual wait time is - if you're one of them, arrive no later than 10:30am (this is the latest start time for bag drop - it officially begins any time from 10am, and on quieter days may be even earlier, but with three ships to disembark it's more likely to be closer to 10:30am). Be aware that you will have to queue until some time between 11am and noon before boarding starts though, so even if you are the first person in line it's less efficient than rolling in at say 3pm for your total time spend.

Missing out on embarkation lunch is IMO a very worthy tradeoff even for us locals who don't need to go sightseeing. Unless you're a frequent visitor to Vancouver, I question the sanity of anyone who wastes 5 hours of quality sightseeing time in one of the world's finest cities...;-)

We are cruising out of Canada Place in July. There will be 3 ships departing that day. I've read quite a few trip reports that indicate customs can get very backed up. Is there a sweet spot for arrival time to minimize the lines? We are staying at the Pan Pacific so there is really no commute time and we can head out whenever.

Every time that we have stayed at the Pan Pacific we were told to leave our luggage in the room and the hotel would take care of checking it into the proper cruise line. Since we like to be on the ship early, we go downstairs from the hotel around 10:00 AM. Processing passengers did not start until all of the ships in port are "zeroed out" (all passengers off the ship). Always having stragglers meant processing didn't start until around 10:30 AM.

Most cruise lines give recommended arrival times of 1:00 PM so being near the head of the lines at 10:30 AM has avoided the longer lines later. Last year there were five working booths in operation when we went through Customs.

I will be staying at the Pan Pacific this June and will post my experience on this thread.

By the time July rolls around three ship days are smoother. The ones you want to avoid are the first few three ship days. I would go early.

Every time that we have stayed at the Pan Pacific we were told to leave our luggage in the room and the hotel would take care of checking it into the proper cruise line. Since we like to be on the ship early, we go downstairs from the hotel around 10:00 AM. Processing passengers did not start until all of the ships in port are "zeroed out" (all passengers off the ship). Always having stragglers meant processing didn't start until around 10:30 AM.

Most cruise lines give recommended arrival times of 1:00 PM so being near the head of the lines at 10:30 AM has avoided the longer lines later. Last year there were five working booths in operation when we went through Customs.

I will be staying at the Pan Pacific this June and will post my experience on this thread.

Thanks!

As late as possible (but 90mins before your scheduled departure time). While being early means short queues at CBP/Security/Check-in desks it's inherently inefficient as you will be forced to wait around before any of these until boarding actually begins; total end-to-end wait time is only minimised by arriving as late as possible.

Some folks of course feel their vaycay doesn't start until they board, so are more concerned about being onboard as soon as possible than what the actual wait time is - if you're one of them, arrive no later than 10:30am (this is the latest start time for bag drop - it officially begins any time from 10am, and on quieter days may be even earlier, but with three ships to disembark it's more likely to be closer to 10:30am). Be aware that you will have to queue until some time between 11am and noon before boarding starts though, so even if you are the first person in line it's less efficient than rolling in at say 3pm for your total time spend.

Missing out on embarkation lunch is IMO a very worthy tradeoff even for us locals who don't need to go sightseeing. Unless you're a frequent visitor to Vancouver, I question the sanity of anyone who wastes 5 hours of quality sightseeing time in one of the world's finest cities...;-)

These are all good things to consider. We will have time the day before, so that's good.

My 5 year old daughter will be with us and, honestly, I think she'd be better about waiting in the waiting room than she would be waiting in a line. When we cruise out of Florida, we like getting to port around 11:45 and there's no line but we have time for a nice lunch right before roooms are ready. Sounds like that schedule won't work as well this time.

That makes me feel better. Thank you.

Just a note about the Pan Pacific. There is an underground mall across the street under the Fairmont Hotel where you can find fast food of all sorts, low priced breakfasts, Subway, Greek cuisine, Asian cuisine, and other various shops for things that you forgot to bring on your cruise.

The last time we stayed at the Pan Pacific there was a letter in our room advising that any gunshots heard were from a TV series being filmed nearby.

We are staying at Pinnacle but plan to take a cab to the hotel. This will be a 13-night vacation for us so we will have way too much luggage!

Since the majority of Vancouver cabs are small Prius Toyotas, when you request a cab, let them know you have lots of luggage.

The last time we stayed at the Pan Pacific there was a letter in our room advising that any gunshots heard were from a TV series being filmed nearby.

At least they warned you!:')

Thanks for the tip about the food court. No need to spend $$$$ on huge fancy meals right before a cruise. Especially breakfast.

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle Hotel in Vancouver? How would you rate this hotel. Is it really walking distance to the cruise terminal?

We have stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle quite a few times --- like it very much. We will be staying there pre and post cruise in June/July. I see that "xlxo" gave you distance information. We will be taking a cab because we embark our ship on July 1st, Canada Day --- a busy day near the terminal if it is anything like last year.

Fyi.... July 1st is a day you want to drag your luggage from the Pinnacle. There is a massive street party with road closures outside the cruise terminal where the taxi meter will just tick away!

Even the Grouse/Cap shuttles are relocated.

Do stop by the Cauldron for morning pictures.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

Fyi.... July 1st is a day you want to drag your luggage from the Pinnacle. There is a massive street party with road closures outside the cruise terminal where the taxi meter will just tick away!

Even the Grouse/Cap shuttles are relocated.

Do stop by the Cauldron for morning pictures.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

You have more experience than I ..... here is what we experienced: no problem getting a taxi inside cruise terminal and taking us to Marriott Pinnacle. After checking into the MP we walked back to Canada Place and it was a nightmare ---- lots of people, food trucks and setting up of police check points. If we had tried to get our luggage through there it would have been a real challenge.

The control freak in me shudders at the thought of depending on the Pan Pacific to get my bags on MY ship. I have no problem having the ship take and check my luggage going home but ????? Yiks I'm not sure I'm that trusting about my luggage at the start of a three week trip!

Oh dear! Sailing in early June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have more experience than I ..... here is what we experienced: no problem getting a taxi inside cruise terminal and taking us to Marriott Pinnacle. After checking into the MP we walked back to Canada Place and it was a nightmare ---- lots of people, food trucks and setting up of police check points. If we had tried to get our luggage through there it would have been a real challenge.
On July 1st.... Pinnacle guests should walk (drag luggage) East on Hastings until they get to Howe. Then walk North into the cruise terminal, by passing the party and congestion on foot.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Pinnacle+Hotel+Harbourfront,+1133+W+Hastings+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6E+3T3/Vancouver+Convention+Centre+East/@49.2881936,-123.120825,16.62z/data=!3m1!5s0x5486719d2fa2d817:0x8744a3435e0647f2!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x54867183ede22563:0x6760951648061853!2m2!1d-123.1207105!2d49.2884814!3m4!1m2!1d-123.1149132!2d49.2859887!3s0x54867182622c5777:0xfc755b2a623f6521!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xd3c5f7bc5d72768d!2m2!1d-123.1121416!2d49.2883301!3e2

The control freak in me shudders at the thought of depending on the Pan Pacific to get my bags on MY ship. I have no problem having the ship take and check my luggage going home but ????? Yiks I'm not sure I'm that trusting about my luggage at the start of a three week trip!

Oh dear! Sailing in early June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your luggage does not arrive within two hours of sailing, you can always leave the ship, take the elevator up to the hotel desk and find it.

The last time at the Pan Pacific, I checked out of my room at 8:30 AM, tipped the bellman at the Concierge Desk and let him know that the luggage was left in the room as required, ate a snack across the street in the underground mall, checked into the Cruise Terminal at 10:45, boarded the ship at 11:45 AM and my luggage was IN my stateroom.

I will report back in June if this was still the case in 2017.

Just a note about the Pan Pacific. There is an underground mall across the street under the Fairmont Hotel where you can find fast food of all sorts, low priced breakfasts, Subway, Greek cuisine, Asian cuisine, and other various shops for things that you forgot to bring on your cruise.

Can you tell me exactly where this mall is? I'm trying to find it on Google Maps but can't see it. I'm not staying at the Fairmont but just around the corner.

Can you tell me exactly where this mall is? I'm trying to find it on Google Maps but can't see it. I'm not staying at the Fairmont but just around the corner.

I'm not the poster you asked, but can help, I think!

You can access the Food Court from the street level. Have a look here, hopefully it shows for you as it does for me.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Fairmont+Waterfront,+Vancouver/@49.2878598,-123.1145034,3a,60y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBgD_V_5X0P_37zslLGVfrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xabed52a7ff0e0f7b!2sFairmont+Waterfront,+Vancouver!8m2!3d49.287196!4d-123.11402!3m4!1s0x0:0xabed52a7ff0e0f7b!8m2!3d49.287196!4d-123.11402!6m1!1e1

You can see the doors with the sign above them that says "Food Court". There are stairs from the sidewalk to the level the access doors are on.