Insurance

bboop51

We booked our upcoming cruise through Celebrity. We usually book through a TA. We prefer "any reason to cancel" travel insurance over traditional insurance. It was no problem getting that with our TA, but Celebrity does not offer it. I thought since I had to pick for myself I'd ask for recommendations from you savvy travels. I love to especially hear from anyone that has actually used this type of insurance or know someone that has.

Thanks in advance :D for any info !

Save

While not very good, I thought Celebrity's insurance does have cancellation for any reason, but you only get a credit for 75% on a future cruise.

For private insurance check out Insuremytrip.com. Any reason cancellation insurance usually needs to be purchased within 14 or so days from the initial deposit on the cruise.

Edited by rdt10
correction

While not very good, I thought Celebrity's insurance does have cancellation for any reason, but you only get a credit for 75% on a future cruise.

For private insurance check out Insuremytrip.com. Any reason cancellation insurance usually needs to be purchased within 14 or so days from the initial deposit on the cruise.

Thank you ! From what I understand you have to cruise within a year. We generally take one vacation a year and next year we are hoping to go to the UK. So, I'd rather just pay the extra for the any reason cancellation. I have used insuremytrip before but was hoping for some personal experience.

We booked our upcoming cruise through Celebrity. We usually book through a TA. We prefer "any reason to cancel" travel insurance over traditional insurance. It was no problem getting that with our TA, but Celebrity does not offer it. I thought since I had to pick for myself I'd ask for recommendations from you savvy travels. I love to especially hear from anyone that has actually used this type of insurance or know someone that has.

Thanks in advance :D for any info !

Save

If you booked through Celebrity, you have a 60 days period in which to transfer the reservation to a TA; so if you are still in that window you could transfer it to the TA and then get the insurance through them. Plus, the TA should be willing to give you some additional benefits for transferring it to them.

I thought since I had to pick for myself I'd ask for recommendations from you savvy travels. I love to especially hear from anyone that has actually used this type of insurance or know someone that has. Save

We have purchased from both tripinsurancestore.com and insuremytrip.com. Steve and his crew at tripinsurancestore.com answer questions pretty quickly via email (I had a question about pre-existing conditions that they answered for me).

We have never filed a claim but if you follow the rules all of the insurance companies these two offer seem to do well in the reviews posted online.

The medical and evacuation coverage on the celebrity policy are imho very low....enough so celebrity doctor gets paid, maybe enough to get you off the ship, but not enough to get you good medical coverage abroad or get you home. Please don't naively assume that celebrity offers what you need.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have used the Celebrity insurance several times. The first time my husband became ill a few weeks before the cruise and we had to cancel. I had all the money back within a couple weeks of the doctor's documentation.

A couple times in the past 7 years we have been unable to fly home because of winter blizzards in the Northeast and have been stranded in Ft. Lauderdale and San Juan. The insurance paid for hotel and food for 3 days until we were able to get home.

Last October I got sick on the Pacific Coast Cruise with a sore throat, ear ache and congestion. It was diagnosed as flu (I'm sure it wasn't), charged $350 for the doctor and medicine', and quarantined for 28 hours. Since I am over 65 with Medicare coverage, although I had travel insurance, my medical insurance was the first responsibility - and I had to send it to them. Travel insurance did not cover the illness!

............Last October I got sick on the Pacific Coast Cruise with a sore throat, ear ache and congestion. It was diagnosed as flu (I'm sure it wasn't), charged $350 for the doctor and medicine', and quarantined for 28 hours. Since I am over 65 with Medicare coverage, although I had travel insurance, my medical insurance was the first responsibility - and I had to send it to them. Travel insurance did not cover the illness!

A family member of ours, also over 65, got sick on a cruise. He was treated by the doctor on the ship for several days and had some tests done in the ship's medical facilities.

He had purchased the cruise line's travel insurance, fully aware that it provided secondary coverage.

He needed to file on his own Medicare Advantage policy first.

Then after they paid their share, the cruise travel insurance paid the remainder, so between the two policies he was reimbursed in full for all expenses incurred.

Oh, they also provided him with a cane and a wheelchair to use for the duration of the cruise, for which there was no charge.

Since I am on Medicare, I always purchase insurance which is primary coverage for medical. I have only paid $25 extra for that coverage. The company's policy which automatically includes primary coverage costs several hundred dollars more than the policy I have purchased.

Carolyn

Since I am on Medicare, I always purchase insurance which is primary coverage for medical. I have only paid $25 extra for that coverage. The company's policy which automatically includes primary coverage costs several hundred dollars more than the policy I have purchased.

Steve at the Trip Insurance Store says If your regular insurance doesn't cover while out of the country or on the high seas off shore, then it doesn't matter if your travel medical insurance is primary or secondary. It becomes primary because there is no other insurance coverage. Usually the difference between having a policy from a third party that is primary vs. secondary is not that much; I think it was only $50 on our last insurance purchase.

The primary / secondary question only matters if your insurance does cover you, or you want to use it before you use any other coverage like that from a credit card. If your insurance does cover you then making the trip insurance secondary makes more sense ... it will pay for all uncovered expenses including co-pays and deductibles that have been applied by the primary insurance.