Claustrophobia

rosiemontrose

Thank you for the thought. Unfortunately, all the river cruises I fancy doing involve flying somewhere first in order to get to them. Flying is a whole other can of worms. And - if I'd thought I might make myself get on the plane in the first place, the BA debacle over this weekend has reminded me that it's simply not worth it. In a million years! (For me.) If not for that I would absolutely love to do some river cruises, especially in the US - especially the Mississippi - ooh, the thought of visiting Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans... No. I mustn't think of it. Not yet, anyway - maybe later when I've done a few other cruises....

Can you take trains? You could certainly take the train to Paris and then take a river cruise from there. It is only a 2 and a half hour ride. Check out these Uniworld cruises on the SS Joie de Vivre:

https://www.uniworld.com/en/river-cruise/?selectedDestination=84F961FEEC134635B0D8963E4FE66D54&selectedRiver=6A7532ED02FE42299E788C2CF9A423C1

This is a very new river ship and one of Uniworld's very nicest with lots of special amenities onboard.

London to Amsterdam by train is only 5 hours 35 minutes. From Amsterdam, you can do Rhine cruises. You might look at Castles along the Rhine - it shows Basel to Amsterdam, but it actually alternates - one trip Basel to Amsterdam, the next Amsterdam to Basel and it's on the SS Antoinette - also an amazing ship:

https://www.uniworld.com/en/river-cruise/?selectedShip=01667596CE0C4639B26542FF77C3791F

A note about keeping balcony doors open and sleeping on the balcony.

We were recently on a cruise where our neighbors kept their balcony door open. Not only did the temperature in our cabin ruse dramatically, but the gale-type winds caused a very loud, very high pitched squeal that kept us awake. We tried speaking to them but they would not listen so we had to go to Guest Relations and have them speak to them about keeping the door open when the ship was moving.

With regards to sleeping on the balcony, if you're on a lower deck, you could get very wet as the waves rise up. But even if you're on an upper deck, I assure you that you will wake up covered in sea spray and you will feel like a salt covered pretzel.

Also, norovirus should be forbidden on ships and waves should be limited to 5 feet.

I would venture to say that many or perhaps most people do not pay attention during muster drills . They are engaged in conversation .

It should only be mandatory for first time cruisers,in my humble opinion

I'm sorry if I missed it if someone already suggested this (I skimmed the first 6 pages of this thread)

I had the same kind of claustrophobia as the OP. It stemmed from a feeling of not being in control. ultimately it affected my being able to fly. Despite the wide open sky, I was trapped in the airplane once we took off. I had to take my daughter on a 9 hour flight to college last August. To say I was dreading it was a huge understatement. Drugs were a very last resort, since I feel out of control when taking drugs too.

My son's teacher recommended finding a qualified hypnotherapist. She had excellent results years earlier getting rid of a different phobia. I looked up local Hypnotherapists on the internet in desperation. Went to see one who was accredited, without very high expectations. Went for 6 sessions, although after 4 sessions she thought I'd be fine. Didn't feel "hypnotized" but didn't dread getting on the plane anymore.

On the actual flight not only was I not nervous, I was EXCITED!! Like a kid going on her first airplane ride! Same returning home.

That alone would have been great, but 6 months on, my daughter had a crisis and I had 12 hours to pack up and fly out again. I thought it would be rough since I hadn't returned to the hypnotherapist, and I was pretty stressed with my daughter's crisis situation (stress always made my claustrophobia worse). Once again, the flight was fine. Actually fun. The enjoyment of the flight took my mind off the stress of my daughter's situation!

I'm a believer now. I would recommend checking hypnotherapy out. Maybe it can help you too :)

By the way, my daughter is fine now.

Edited by napria
removed extra line breaks

I would venture to say that many or perhaps most people do not pay attention during muster drills . They are engaged in conversation .

It should only be mandatory for first time cruisers,in my humble opinion

That's different from "should not be mandatory at all".

What I learned on this site is that a muster drill is not only about learning about the whistle and the light, the major thing is that passengers know where to go in case of a problem. It's also important training for the crew who need it because they are not firefighters but hired to make cocktails and towel animals.

So my opinion is that muster drills are a necessity that serves an actual purpose. And then there are international laws that say they are mandatory. (At the same time I wonder who'd be the authority coming up with fines if a ship decides to skip the muster drill)

• 2 weeks later...

By the same token, I couldn't actually shut the door into the bathroom/shower room - I'm assuming I could leave that ajar, though???

If you leave the bathroom door open while you shower, the steam can set off the smoke alarm in the cabin. Ask me how I know. :o

Security called and then sent someone out to check on smoke. And me in a towel.