Advice for a 14 day Breakaway cruise from NYC.

boscobeans

We have cruised well over 20 times since 2001 but never on NCL. We booked a 14 day Caribbean cruise on BREAKAWAY and got a 4 specialty dinner package along with a beverage package.

Breakfasts and lunches will be no real problem at all, since we are fairly easy going when it comes to meals and have always been more than satisfied with buffets on lines like Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.

For the NCL experienced cruisers;

How would you handle dining (remember we have a 4 night package) over the 2 weeks?

We have no experience with any of the NCL dining venues and would like to play it by ear. As far as dining times any from 5:30-7:00 would be fine with us and a short wait is never a problem...

Thanks ahead for any responses.

bosco

On Breakaway you absolutely MUST make dining reservations if you are to have any hope of eating in Cagney's or Le Bistro as these restaurants sell out by the end of the first day and about all that will be late would be times like 5pm or 9pm. IMO, Le Bistro is the best restaurant onboard and I would make reservations to go there twice during a 2 week cruise. Ocean Blue is also outstanding and if you like seafood, definitely make a reservation for that restaurant. Moderno is good and I'm not a fan of La Cucina, although they have changed their menu, so I would probably try it again just to find out if they have improved. Previously, I thought their food was like Olive Garden - just not good. You can walk up to the Sushi bar pretty much any lunchtime on a sea day. Also, the raw bar is fantastic! Do remember that Ocean Blue serves a lobster roll at noon through a window on the waterfront. Yes, it costs extra, but it is great. You will also need reservations to get into the Manhattan Room which has a dinner show and reservations for shows.

The most important tip I can give you is to get a pass to the Spa Thermal Suite if you are not in a spa cabin already as it is the BEST feature on the ship. We spend most afternoons in there.

We have cruised well over 20 times since 2001 but never on NCL. We booked a 14 day Caribbean cruise on BREAKAWAY and got a 4 specialty dinner package along with a beverage package.

Breakfasts and lunches will be no real problem at all, since we are fairly easy going when it comes to meals and have always been more than satisfied with buffets on lines like Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.

For the NCL experienced cruisers;

How would you handle dining (remember we have a 4 night package) over the 2 weeks?

We have no experience with any of the NCL dining venues and would like to play it by ear. As far as dining times any from 5:30-7:00 would be fine with us and a short wait is never a problem...

Thanks ahead for any responses.

bosco

when are you going for your cruise?

On Breakaway you absolutely MUST make dining reservations if you are to have any hope of eating in Cagney's or Le Bistro as these restaurants sell out by the end of the first day and about all that will be late would be times like 5pm or 9pm.quote]

Thanks so much for the response.

We booked an AFT-FACING cabin ( 11314 ) since we really enjoy the view, sound and convenience of that type cabin.

We will be sure to check out the menus when we get close to the sail date and make reservations accordingly.

Thanks again.

bosco

Can anyone comment about if they do a sail sway party outside in Jan? Leaving NYC?

We have sailed from NYC and New Jersey in the winter many times and the departures vary with the weather.

Everything from shirtsleeves to shoveling snow off the decks.. LOL

We love the day and a half at the start and end of these cruises so we can acclimatize ourselves from the upstate frigid weather to the battery recharging heat and sun in the Caribbean and vice versa.

bosco

Can anyone comment about if they do a sail sway party outside in Jan? Leaving NYC?

What's the overall entertainment for 14 days. Is there a show every night in theatre?

What's the typical age group

There will be an incredible sailaway party up on h2o

If the weather makes it impossible they will do it indoors or something like that. Meaning the crew will be out on deck and the show will be televised indoors. That is rare though.

Btw the weather(barring any major weather disruption) on the Winter 14 day cruises gets very nice by the afternoon of the 1st sea day thanks to the Gulf Stream

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

december of last year it was flurrying and very windy and there was still 'a party' back at spice. found that was a pretty good place for sailaway. went in to thaw in time to get out for the bridge. hopefully you get a warm 70 january day!

I suggest you make dinner reservations. Without them you will definitely have a wait or not be able to get in at all. These are the peak dining times. We prefer the specialty dining on Breakaway and always eat around 8:00 so we never had a problem although I always had reservations. You will find the buffet ok but no where as good as HAL and Celebrity. Equal or second to RCCL. We had breakfast in O'Sheean's most days. The one time we went to the dining room it was a disaster.