Miami as a stop questions

Cruise4Jesus

We are leaving next weekend on a cruise with the port of Miami as a stop, and since we have never been there I have a few questions that I hope somebody may be able to help me with.

I had heard that there were some free shuttles at the port that take you to a few places, do they still do this and is so where do they drop you at?

Any interesting things to do that are within walking distance of the port?

Any recommendations for something within walking distance or taking the shuttle?

Thanks in advance for any info.

No free shuttles in Miami that I am aware of.

There are some hop-on/off bus tours available, or you can taxi/Uber to South Beach for people watching, shopping, sightseeing, lunch, drinks, etc.

Port of Miami is an island with nothing touristy in it. There is no where to walk to. How long are you in port? If you are looking for a quick trip, Bayside/Bayfront is the first place off the island. If you have time though, I would Uber over to South Beach and walk around there.

We are leaving next weekend on a cruise with the port of Miami as a stop, and since we have never been there I have a few questions that I hope somebody may be able to help me with.

I had heard that there were some free shuttles at the port that take you to a few places, do they still do this and is so where do they drop you at?

Any interesting things to do that are within walking distance of the port?

Any recommendations for something within walking distance or taking the shuttle?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, there is the free Miami Trolley which you can navigate all over Miami, but only if you can figure out all the different routes and where to transfer. The Coral Way Route is the one that goes to and from Dodge Island, but finding the stop at the port is not that easy because there is no shelter, no bench, just a small sign by a parking lot on N American Way on the south side of the Port Administration Building. That is located at the far NW end of Dodge Island across from the Disney Terminal (and I've never seen a Disney ship there). If you pull it up on Google Maps - Earth View you can zoom in until you see the little, blue bus icon...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+of+Miami/@25.7766728,-80.1719107,1652m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b43d0cf3fcc1:0xbc3b476a42f553e4!8m2!3d25.7780487!4d-80.1731734

The next stop or two of the shuttle is the Arena/Bayside Marketplace/Freedom Tower

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/maps/CoralWay.pdf

It's a pretty good hike from Dodge Island across the causeway to Bayside Marketplace (especially from the Carnival and NCL terminals), so you better be wearing comfortable shoes and used to walking if you want to try it. Great view, though.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Yes, there is the free Miami Trolley which you can navigate all over Miami, but only if you can figure out all the different routes and where to transfer. The Coral Way Route is the one that goes to and from Dodge Island, but finding the stop at the port is not that easy because there is no shelter, no bench, just a small sign by a parking lot on N American Way on the south side of the Port Administration Building. That is located at the far NW end of Dodge Island across from the Disney Terminal (and I've never seen a Disney ship there). If you pull it up on Google Maps - Earth View you can zoom in until you see the little, blue bus icon...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+of+Miami/@25.7766728,-80.1719107,1652m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b43d0cf3fcc1:0xbc3b476a42f553e4!8m2!3d25.7780487!4d-80.1731734

The next stop or two of the shuttle is the Arena/Bayside Marketplace/Freedom Tower

It's a pretty good hike from Dodge Island across the causeway to Bayside Marketplace (especially from the Carnival and NCL terminals), so you better be wearing comfortable shoes and used to walking if you want to try it. Great view, though.

Thank you for the detailed information, sounds like something doable.

Just a couple of questions, is it safe to walk across the causeway and if so how far a walk is it to Bayside Marketplace?

Thank you for the detailed information, sounds like something doable.

Just a couple of questions, is it safe to walk across the causeway and if so how far a walk is it to Bayside Marketplace?

Yes, it is very safe, but it's about 1 1/2 miles each way. You could walk over and take the trolley back. Make sure you have plenty of time, though, because the Trolley doesn't run that often.

The Disney Magic is here during the winter months, departing in early May. They do 3, 4 and even sometime 5 night cruises so they are docked here a few times per week. I love watching this ship leave!

The trolley is a great free way to get around Miami. It runs about every 20 minutes but can run behind during various times of the day with the bad traffic that's always around here.

If you do go to Bayside, getting an Uber back to your ship is another way and will run you about $5. I've done the walk to the port and it's a fine walk, about 1 to 1 1/2 miles. If it's hot and muggy, the walk can seem even longer! I live in Brickell/downtown Miami so walk everywhere and I'm used to it so I wouldn't think twice about doing it but if you aren't used to walking on concrete it can be tiring. It's about the same amount as walking around The World Showcase at Epcot if you have ever done that.

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com

Uber over to South Beach will run you around $17 each way. That of course all depends on the traffic. People watching is always fun over here as is walking Lincoln Road.

If you want something closer, then Bayside would fit the bill. There are boats that leave from here, restaurants, usually live music and other things going on.

Here is the hop on Hop off bus that JohninDC is talking about

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/miami-bus-tours

I'd just cab or Uber to Bayside Mall. There you can buy tickets for the hop on off bus that will cover quite a bit of the area including Miami Beach and South Beach. You can get off there for a beach walk, rent Segway or bikes or just sit and people watch. If you want an overview of the area, it's a good choice.

Or you can pick up a boat tour at Bayside. There are waterfront stores and restaurants at Bayside too.

We walk the causeway often. If you like to walk it is an easy walk.

We've done it when we arrive to Miami a few days before the cruise and other times either when stopping at Miami or on back to back cruises.

There is a walkway and a barricade from the traffic.

DSC_1670.jpg

Or you could take a taxi or UBER.

We've done one of two things on a stop like this.

One is to walk over to Bayside. There are a lot of shops there. Sometimes we might also walk across the street from there to the CVS to pick up a few items.

Another option is to walk another 20 to 25 minutes from where you cross the bridge over to Mary Brickell Village and/or the relatively new Brickell Centre where there is lots of shopping.

Or you could walk from the Bridge to the Intercontinental which is an easy meeting point to take UBER or a Taxi (based on my last experience n Miami I would go for UBER) over to South Beach which is about a 20 minute ride from that hotel. We have them drop us off at the start of Ocean Drive where the Art Deco Hotels are and then we walk along the area with the hotels on the left side and the beach on the right side. How long you walk depends on you.

Sometimes we walk for awhile and that includes the Board Walk. Another option is to walk towards Lincoln Road. From there we sometimes walk over to the Holocaust Memorial.

dsc00174_orig.jpg

One option is to do a lot of walking from the port over towards wherever you are heading. Again, if going to South Beach if you go this route I would use UBER from the Intercontinental and then return via UBER or a Taxi. Just give yourself sufficient time to get back to the ship.

Also, decide some of this based on the weather that day.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

If we wanted to get a hotel day pass for pool and also be right on the beach? Any suggestions?

Also would south beach allow, time permitting, for say a 4/5 hour stay at a beachfront hotel then touring the area on foot then uber back to ship?

I think the stop is 9 to 6. We always get back to ship early like 4:30/5

Priority for this stop is....

Pool/beach/people watching

Not necessarily sitting at a tiki bar unless it right next to the pool. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums