New Cruiser Questions

kimma11

Good morning. We are cruising in May. We are down to 44 days until we start our vacation, and I am beginning to bounce and feel nausea at the same time. So I still have a few questions as we begin our packing and preping.

1) How do y'all hang wet bathing suits in the bathroom? Does the Conquest have clothes were I should bring clothes pins?

2) On Conquest how do pay for laundry? Do we need quarters or it is the room key? How busy are the laundry rooms? Do we need to stay there while our laundry washes and dries?

3) What are the best places to eat in Miami? We are staying in Miami for 2 days after the cruise.

4) What is your favorite phone app for traveling? So far I have downloaded Universal Studios (the first part of our vacation), Pre Flight Parking, and delta. What are other awesome apps to use.

5) How much actual cash did y'all bring for tips and souvenirs on the islands? I know to bring $1's, but how many? We will have our credit cards for most purchases so I don't think I need a lot of cash.

Thank y'all for the answers!!! :) I am supppppper excited as is my daughter. We can't wait for May and have already started packing and organizing everything. EVERYTHING is paid for at the this point even down to the estimated cost of gas in Florida. I have slowly over the last year paid for everything ahead of time. So now we can simply save up for haircuts, pedicures, etc!!! ;p

Congrats on your cruise! Wet suits can be hung on line in the shower or on the stateroom there are two large hooks that work as well. I never needed clothes pins. We stayed across from the Bay Side Market and found there were quite a few good places to eat there and "good"depends on your personal likes. I download the Carnival app and doing it useful for checking activities on the ship and to be able to check my account from time to time. As for $1 bills, I typically give a dollar or two each morning for our room service. Extra tips for drinks are placed on the drink slip so I don't need to have them on me. I get my laundry done for free as a perk so I cannot comment on that. Enjoy the trip and as most of us, you will be planning your next before you get off your first!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shower has a line to hang. Bring 2 bathing suits. It takes awhile to dry. Some people recommend a magnetic hook.

The laundry room takes your sail and sign card. I did laundry at 5 am with no problem. I just went back to bed while it washed, changed it over, and went back to bed while it dried.

How much cash is really up to you. We knew what we had budgeted for purchases and took that amount. We also knew what we wanted to purchase. We chose not to use a credit card while traveling outside the country. If you do, let your credit card company know your destination. Base your tips on what you are planning to do-- spa, room service, excursions, etc. You will also may want to tip your wait staff extra the last night and your room steward. I also plan $2-$3 a bag for anyone handing my bags at hotels, airport, shuttles, cruise terminal, etc.

Some good questions.

No need for clothespins, the little line in the shower works just fine.

As to cash, realize that you'll potentially use significantly more than at home. Many private excursions (not booked through ship) will be cash only. The Caribbean loves American dollars. And while credit cards are frequently used, it's not like back home where one swipes for everything. Note that we do ALL of our excursions with private vendors so I typically take $100 cash for each day of the cruise knowing that some excursions might cost me $150-200 for the 2 of us. I'll use a CC ashore when I can but I will always have enough cash in my pocket, especially if away from the port proper.

As to laundry, my recollection is that the machines take coins but I could be wrong. No problem. A quick stop at guest services solves that. Same thing as changing a $20 into singles for tips. I've only done laundry a couple of times and found 'off hours' to be best (quite early or maybe during dinner, for example)

1) How do y'all hang wet bathing suits in the bathroom? Does the Conquest have clothes were I should bring clothes pins?

- As stated by others, there is a short drawstring in the shower. It's OK for bathing suits. Suggest you each bring a couple of bathing suits as it can take a while to fully dry them.

2) On Conquest how do pay for laundry? Do we need quarters or it is the room key? How busy are the laundry rooms? Do we need to stay there while our laundry washes and dries?

- Suggest you ask your cabin steward for the laundry bag option. $15 per bag washed / dried / folded (somewhat). Delivered next day. We don't do laundry while on a cruise, time is better spend relaxing. If you roll up the soiled clothes really tightly and fill the bag to the brim, it's really worth it. Can be done any day of the cruise.

3) What are the best places to eat in Miami? We are staying in Miami for 2 days after the cruise.

- That's a really wide open question. Suggest you use trip advisor for places near your hotel or places you'll be visiting.

4) What is your favorite phone app for traveling? So far I have downloaded Universal Studios (the first part of our vacation), Pre Flight Parking, and delta. What are other awesome apps to use.

- Carnival Hub App. You'll need it if you get the Social Media package onboard.

5) How much actual cash did y'all bring for tips and souvenirs on the islands? I know to bring $1's, but how many? We will have our credit cards for most purchases so I don't think I need a lot of cash.

- Cash only for ports of call. For a 7 day cruise, I'll bring $700 in cash. It stays in the room safe except for the amount I need to bring ashore for the day...which depends on the activities we will be doing. I bring ONE credit card with me "just in case". As previously stated, US $$$ are the best way to purchase & haggle with vendors. We usually bring $50 in singles, but they are also used for porters, taxis before & after, as well as onboard (usually for any room service). Bars slips all have a 15% gratuity built in so no need to add extra.

Hope this helps you out.

The best app you can have for any travel, is "TripIt" which is free. You simply forward your email itineraries that are sent to you from Hotels.com, Expedia, airlines or whatever to the email, and it's automatically in your app. Very handy to have and I highly recommend it.

I rinse off in the outdoor shower after my last dip in the pool, towel off, and let the suit dry on me before heading to the cabin...then, it will dry quite rapidly...no need to re-rinse. If you do need something to dry quickly, take a hanger, put the item on it, and hang it from the air vent in the room. Airflow really helps. Always get excess water out of whatever you're drying, first!

The ship can break down larger bills for you, so don't travel with WADS of ones! Too bulky!

If you get the "Social Media" internet package, which will be abour $25 each onboard, then you can communicate with people from home using Facebook Instant Messanger. Keep in mind this is a SEPARATE app, besides Facebook and you have to get it from the app store before leaving. You can also chat with members of your family also on board. You each need to get the package.

Dont do laundry ... this is your vacation. Time is money. Just use the all-you-can-stuff bags for $15. But really I only use those for my sweaty gym clothes.

Get some magnetic hooks from the dollar store, the walls are metal and you will need those to organize all the papers that they give you.

bring an old gift card with a magnetic stripe for use with either the in room safe or to keep the lights on depending on which ship you are on.

I like to get a phone case that has a card slot to keep my sail and sign card with me cause I always have my phone and use for a camera.

If you want cold drinks in your cabin and will bring cans of soda ... bring a collapsible cooler.

Have Fun

You use your S&S card to do laundry on the ships we have been on. I was with my SIL one morning (early) while she was using the laundry facilities and had brought her in some coffee. There are instructions in laundry area with soap and fabric softener, all purchased with S&S card. It all seemed very simple to use but she did mention (several times) that she gets there early as it gets crowded fast. I believe another person stated that there is a laundry room on several decks so you could try another deck if your deck was being used.