CellAtSea, I'm confused!!

Mom2jocevan

No. You can download the app to 2 phones, pay the $10ish pp to activate the messaging feature; and that's it. No internet minutes are used and you can text each other all cruise for free. You both have to be able to download the iconcierge app but it doesn't matter what phone/carrier it is. Just check and see if it's in your App Store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow....that's awesome. Wonder why no one recommended that when I was asking about communications with my brother on board. Hmm. I hope my phone can download that app...I will check and see. thanks so much

> Wonder why no one recommended that when I was asking about communications with my brother on board

One possible reason is that it seems to be somewhat flaky and hasn't been updated in a long time. Some people report they used it onboard to text each other with no problems, some people report they weren't able to get it to text at all, and some people report they had to continually restart the app to get it to work. Also, you can't try it out ahead of time, the app only works when you are on the ship. All you can do at home is find out how long until you cruise, and even that feature relies on you entering the cruise date (NOT programming in which ship/cruise you will be on) and the app doesn't remember the date you gave it in between times you use it.

> Wonder why no one recommended that when I was asking about communications with my brother on board

One possible reason is that it seems to be somewhat flaky and hasn't been updated in a long time. Some people report they used it onboard to text each other with no problems, some people report they weren't able to get it to text at all, and some people report they had to continually restart the app to get it to work. Also, you can't try it out ahead of time, the app only works when you are on the ship. All you can do at home is find out how long until you cruise, and even that feature relies on you entering the cruise date (NOT programming in which ship/cruise you will be on) and the app doesn't remember the date you gave it in between times you use it.

Well thank you for your imput here. At this point I am not sure what I am going to do. I don't have an Iphone, which would make this a whole lot easier. So even if I did have an Iphone, it looks like I may run into some issues. I appreciate your information. I will need to think about upgrading my phone to an Iphone to use this app.....just wondering if in the end, it will be worth it if it does not work well. Hmm.

I don't think it's an iphone vs. Android issue - some of the people who couldn't get it to work at all said they were using iphones.

Doubt I'll have a chance to see whether the texting will work with my Android, none of my family with smart phones are interested in trying it. But if you do, please let us know how it worked out for you!

It's true you can't try it ahead of time. I downloaded the app a few days ago to just have it ready and the app frequently tells me I'm logged IN TO and logged out of the ships Wifi?!?

How can that be?!?!

I just deleted the app until I get on the ship!!!

It's true you can't try it ahead of time. I downloaded the app a few days ago to just have it ready and the app frequently tells me I'm logged IN TO and logged out of the ships Wifi?!?

How can that be?!?!

DH and I used it on the Jade in January and it worked fairly well for us to keep in touch. We downloaded it at home before we boarded the ship and got the same messages about being logged in or out of ship's WiFi and it continued after we were off the ship for awhile. I think I read somewhere that you have to download it before you get on the ship though.

No. Text is typically unavailable and if your carrier does have signal, it will be outrageously expensive.

If you would like to message between 3 devices onboard, it will cost ~$9 per device for the week for iConcierge. Ensure you keep the app running in the background to make sure messages come in.

I would look at Internet packages, as others have suggested. Apps like WhatsApp or Skype (voice only) can be used to "telephone" others with the app like a phone call. Unless you prearranged with AT&T for foreign country rates, I highly suggest leaving the phone in airplane mode with only the wifi turned on.

This comes from a Canadian who until recently didn't have a good USA plan/rate.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So if I want to keep in touch at home via text I can use an app like WhatsApp through wifi ? Just as confused =/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So if I want to keep in touch at home via text I can use an app like WhatsApp through wifi ? Just as confused =/

If you and the person you wish to message both have WhatsApp, then yes, you can message them using the ships wifi.

Personally, I inform the one or two people I intend to keep in contact with that I will be using Facebook messenger only.

On case of an emergency, those who need it know my ships name and how to contact through that.

No one has mentioned the new social media package that NCL is starting to roll out. I think it's about $35 per week and allows access to several apps and sites like Twitter, Whats App and Instagram. Smart move on NCLs part to get people talking about their trip on social media. Free advertising.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

For when you are in ports, ATT recently changed their international plan to $10 a day - so if you use your cell in a port, all your messaging, calls and data will cost you just the $10. Just make sure you have enough data/messaging/texts from your home plan. We have unlimited calling and texting, and 15 gigs of data (which we never come near using up). Worked fantastic for us, as we had 2 non-covered ports, and for $20 I had full use of my cell to check in with hubby at home, elderly mom, and receive calls and texts from all. Also used my Starbucks and CVS app at port! Worked out cheaper than their "old" international plans!

If you and the person you wish to message both have WhatsApp, then yes, you can message them using the ships wifi.

Personally, I inform the one or two people I intend to keep in contact with that I will be using Facebook messenger only.

On case of an emergency, those who need it know my ships name and how to contact through that.

OK, so apparently I can use the fb messenger thru wifi, but I would only have wifi on, data off,and airplane mode?? (I have Verizon) I would only buy the smallest wifi plan, I am not really going to do much internet, I don't think,yet.....:p Thank you for the response!

I'm cruising with 2 teenage girls so this is all VERY important info for them..:)Let me see if I have it all straight..and a few added questions.

NCL app(DL before cruise) free to use for scheduling onboard activities..but $10ish per person per week for texting other onboard.

Internet package- shared usage-one device online at a time. Could each device get their own package? Or would one unlimited package be the better way to go? I did pick the free 250 internet mins as a perk.

International package thru cellular- I'm with Verizon and I know it's $10/day/per line- includes talk/text/data plan.

My daughter recently was in Europe and it worked out nicely. Just say you called someone at 8am on a Wednesday, you would be charged $10 and have until 8am on Thursday to talk/text/data before being charged another $10 for the next 24hrs.

Any idea if the cellular plan thru carriers are better deal then Bermuda's $15 3 day wifi deal? Or are both needed?

OK, so apparently I can use the fb messenger thru wifi, but I would only have wifi on, data off,and airplane mode?? (I have Verizon) I would only buy the smallest wifi plan, I am not really going to do much internet, I don't think,yet.....[emoji14] Thank you for the response!

Yes. Keep in mind that you will only receive messages when you are signed into the wifi. Make sure you log off, or else your "smallest wifi plan" would soon run out of minutes.

OK, so apparently I can use the fb messenger thru wifi, but I would only have wifi on, data off,and airplane mode?? (I have Verizon) I would only buy the smallest wifi plan, I am not really going to do much internet, I don't think,yet.....:p Thank you for the response!

We communicate with the immediate family left behind using FaceTime audio when on the ship usually at prearranged times so I know they are in wifi at home and will get the call

I only use my wifi only iPad mini anyway on the ship so I just take the wifi as the free perk or buy a package if need be

I only use my iPhone for camera purposes or in wifi only mode for free wifi in the ports

If I have an emergency phone call to make from the ship I guess I'd just make it

I usually wait for San Juan or st Thomas to make a call for the most part

Or just set up the $40 100/100/100 plan via Verizon if I want actual phone call ability on land

So on the ship....wifi FaceTime audio ...using my iPad...or pay as you go emergency call at $1.79 per minute .50 per text ....using my iPhone

On land...$40 plan 100/100/100 from Verizon for calls from islands

San Juan and st Thomas...domestic plan

Unfortunately steely in 2017 it is still difficult to communicate while on the ship and costly on land unless you have wifi

We communicate with the immediate family left behind using FaceTime audio when on the ship usually at prearranged times so I know they are in wifi at home and will get the call

I only use my wifi only iPad mini anyway on the ship so I just take the wifi as the free perk or buy a package if need be

I only use my iPhone for camera purposes or in wifi only mode for free wifi in the ports

If I have an emergency phone call to make from the ship I guess I'd just make it

I usually wait for San Juan or st Thomas to make a call for the most part

Or just set up the $40 100/100/100 plan via Verizon if I want actual phone call ability on land

So on the ship....wifi FaceTime audio ...using my iPad...or pay as you go emergency call at $1.79 per minute .50 per text ....using my iPhone

On land...$40 plan 100/100/100 from Verizon for calls from islands

San Juan and st Thomas...domestic plan

Unfortunately steely in 2017 it is still difficult to communicate while on the ship and costly on land unless you have wifi

Thank you so much, and also to Sandyh85, I do have an iPad mini, maybe I will bring it... I have a droid, Galaxy...most of my family members do, I will be going to the Bahamas btw.

How can that be?!?!

So they still haven't fixed that problem with the app. We downloaded it back in late 2013 and started getting the logged onto/logged off ship's wifi while at home. We did leave it on for the trip but never really used it and immediately deleted it once off the ship due to the frequent messages.

So they still haven't fixed that problem with the app. We downloaded it back in late 2013 and started getting the logged onto/logged off ship's wifi while at home. We did leave it on for the trip but never really used it and immediately deleted it once off the ship due to the frequent messages.

You could always just adjust your notification settings.

I don't see it as a problem that needs fixed. The app is picking up wifi, like it's supposed to. It's not programmed to merely sniff out ship wifi, so it simply assumes any wifi signal it picks up is the ship's.

No one has mentioned the new social media package that NCL is starting to roll out. I think it's about $35 per week and allows access to several apps and sites like Twitter, Whats App and Instagram. Smart move on NCLs part to get people talking about their trip on social media. Free advertising.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Found this thread searching for info on the program above. Wish I could find detailed program information. Any advice is appreciated.

It's not included under Internet Packages (for purchase) and I'm not sure where else to look.

Found this thread searching for info on the program above. Wish I could find detailed program information. Any advice is appreciated.

It's not included under Internet Packages (for purchase) and I'm not sure where else to look.

Wow I might have to call and inquire!

I don't think it's an iphone vs. Android issue - some of the people who couldn't get it to work at all said they were using iphones.

Doubt I'll have a chance to see whether the texting will work with my Android, none of my family with smart phones are interested in trying it. But if you do, please let us know how it worked out for you!

Hmmm...I just read all the information NCL has on this app. Apparently you can only use it on Iphone's and or Ipads. I downloaded it on my Ipad but I can't download it on my LG cell phone. It says I can use my ipad to send text messages. I have a mini Ipad as well as a regular one....so I think I will take my mini with me and see if it works out.

> Apparently you can only use it on Iphone's and or Ipads

Not true. I have it running on my Samsung ON5. I don't know why it won't run on your LG, but it is definitely available from Google Play Store and NOT limited to i-whatever.

Here is the problem with that, I am trying to figure out the same thing. I have Verizon as well called yesterday.. IF you are in airplane mode Wifi is off as well. You turn airplaine mode off and someone texts you its .05 cents per text and .50 if u reply. Calls u just dont have to answer. They gave a option to block texts during the trip. I am in a few group messages which i cant stand will cost me a fortune and completly out of my control.

Here is the problem with that, I am trying to figure out the same thing. I have Verizon as well called yesterday.. IF you are in airplane mode Wifi is off as well. You turn airplaine mode off and someone texts you its .05 cents per text and .50 if u reply. Calls u just dont have to answer. They gave a option to block texts during the trip. I am in a few group messages which i cant stand will cost me a fortune and completly out of my control.

You can turn wifi on while the phone is in airplane mode. It then blocks all calls/texts as usual. You can then use wifi as normal.

Not sure how it works on all phones, but try turning airplane mode on. Then manually turn on wifi, then try and text.