Vista 8 day Southern Caribbean family cruise review

This is a kinda quick Vista review. Just got off boat today. We traveled with a group of 22 but my immediate family is me, husband, 6 yo and 3 yo kids. We always travel this time of year cause most of family is from Ohio and this is spring break. We are used to busy full ships. We did the 8 day southern Caribbean. I had a nice cruise and just some things I thought about while on cruise. Here are my thoughts:

Cabin- standard balcony on lido, connected to my parents so they had older daughter and we had the younger. Loved the location. No issues with space with 3 but 4 may be tight. Steward was nice, never asked about 1 or 2 service per day, did it twice. We had the door between our balconies opened which was nice.

Dining- we have early seating in smaller dining room Reflections. It did get hot in there by end of service. We had 2 tables of 9 and one 4. Service could be slow- earliest we were done was 7:30 and usually it was 8. Few reasons why- we were at other end of dining room so food took awhile to get to us, we go in with drinks then order more drinks so that took waiters time. Our waiter would have cheese plate available for us when ordering so nice touch. Once they knew one DD wanted sprite and other wanted apple juice, they had it waiting for us. We ate in dining room every night. Even when in Curaçao - dining room was empty then and service was great. Food was good, not great. Definitely hits (escargot, prime rib, bitter n blanc) and misses (chicken usually overcooked, lobster bisque, lobster tail-please note we live in Maine- we steam we don't broil and we are spoiled). Also please get the vegetarian Indian dish once- it's good and on menu every night so a good second dish.

Alternative dining-sorry didn't eat in any fee restaurants. Lido deck had long lines for most meals at peak hours, buffet line could be designed better (why wait in long line to get to cereal boxes and milk-move by fruit so people can just grab it) at beginning of cruise line for Guys and Iguana were crazy long, but by last sea day could walk right up- so timing was everything. Pizza always had a line and late at night it was long (so I hear from the teens in our group). I tried once to get lunch at Italian pasta but it was 30 mins for pager and then 30 mins to get food. Oh I don't like floor in lido marketplace- weird feel to it so seemed slippery.

Pools-we liked Tides pool better cause hot tubs there. We only got chairs first sea day but if you weren't out by 7:30 you didn't get one. They tagged chairs but it was kind of ridiculous- my husband was at chair then got up for 10 mins to relieve me with kids at pool and when I got to chair it was tagged. No biggie, just took it off but wasted effort by someone. Then you would see tagged chairs that were empty for over an hour and nothing removed. It was silly. Didn't bother us cause we have young kids who don't stay anywhere too long. Water slides had much shorter lines in port. Some diapered kids in water works but none in pools (that we saw).

Shows- sorry, didn't go to any so no complaints about liquid lounge- I was in there for muster drill and Dr Seuss show.

Kids program- my kids were penguin and sting ray. They liked the program, mostly went at night 8-10. Not open first night. Staff is super nice and remembered my kids when seen elsewhere. I have a copy of the week schedule for both groups if anyone is interested. My niece was in Circle C- she said lots of group activities they do on own ( scavenger hunt etc) but only 1-2 counselors in the area. My other niece was in teen group- she's 17-only thing she reported back was they told them not drink or have sex (at least not at club). The kids program worked well for all ages. Dr Seuss breakfast was worth it for my kids. We got reservations on the 3rd day (breakfast is last sea day) and only late seating was open (8:30 or 9:45)

Bars- so while kids at program - we checked out the bars. Brewery serves less beer than mixed drinks and one day they ran out of IPA- had it again next day. They ran out of 2 different white wines by the glass in the dinning room on day 6. We loved Alchemy of course. Annamarie was there for 5 days but now she is on vacation with her hubby for a few months. Gabriel was there and awesome and (FOS like any good bartender)- he only has 45 days left then his contract is up. And he will train someone new this coming week. And Luciana was there and she was good too. FYI-Gabe does his afternoon shift at the tides bar if you want a good drink and friendly face. He also confirmed the bar staff on Vista is smaller than Breeze despite more passengers and passenger satisfaction is down but more drinks sold per person on Vista so nothing likely to change.

Ropes and sky ride- lines crazy long, my husband checked it out multiple times but never rode as it was never under an hour. Rope course was shorter line but still a line.

Ports-liked all of them, went to beach with kids at all but La Romana (barely got off boat). My husband and brother rented a car in Grand Turk and husband rented a bike in Aruba.

Debarkation - we had FTTF (totally worth it to me but bought prior to price increase) and left our cabin at 7:30 and were in cab to airport at 8.

Overall I liked my cruise a lot, biggest complaint was the lines but didn't ruin it for me. I don't think I would venture on a bigger boat.

Let me know if any questions while it's all fresh in my head.

Hi, what was your cabin number on Lido? did you hear sound from the IMAX theatre?

Thanks.

We had 10240, 10244, and 10256 and no noise from IMAX but we were all balcony. My Aunt had and inside cabin - I think 10280 - and she had no complaints.

Do you remember which nights were formal in the main dining room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - the first full sea day (we left on Saturday so it was Sunday that was formal) and the second was the second sea day (or Friday night). The first night people were dressed pretty nice. First formal had the lobster tail.

It has been many years that I have cruise what did you mean the chairs were tagged?

Have a magical day

Yeah- this is a newer thing. They leave a sticker on the top of your empty chair saying what time they came by and the time they will recheck (30 mins later). If chair is still empty they remove all items to the towel hut and you lose your chair. You can pick up your stuff at the towel hut.

It's suppose to prevent saving chairs but it is not executed well by staff so it doesn't work.

Hope that made sense:)

would love to see the weekly activities list for the three year old's group. We'll be on the 6 day itinerary with our three year old in November (turns three in August). Excited to have her be able to Camp Carnival this time. AND to be able to use the pools as she is now potty trained!

Did your kids do the Night Owls late night Camp activities at all? We're thinking of using that option a couple nights for our daughter so we can enjoy some time out with the rest of the adults.

Super excited for all of the Dr. Seuss activities including the breakfast!

would love to see the weekly activities list for the three year old's group. We'll be on the 6 day itinerary with our three year old in November (turns three in August). Excited to have her be able to Camp Carnival this time. AND to be able to use the pools as she is now potty trained!

Did your kids do the Night Owls late night Camp activities at all? We're thinking of using that option a couple nights for our daughter so we can enjoy some time out with the rest of the adults.

Forgot to leave my email address: mdunn3@ejmjets.com

Thanks!

I'll try and post the camp ocean daily - if I can't figure it out I'll email you them. We used camp ocean a few times during the day but mostly 7:30-10. We never used Night Owls cause my 3 yo was pretty tired. My 6 yo was even tired by then. They're cousin did night owls (she's 8 and stays up late) and she stayed til closing. They did it on the night there was a party so it was a 15$ flat fee. I think there were 2 party nights one early in week and on later. My kids liked camp ocean. Be sure to send her on the last night they get a cool backpack shaped like a penguin and a few little gifts.

Did they offer self disembarkation? If so, did those individuals get off the ship before those who purchased the passes?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Self disembark was suppose to start at 6:30am and groups 1,2,3 at 7:30 (the priority groups and FTTF). It took a little longer for clearance so self disembark started at 7:15. But there must not have been a lot cause we were group 3 and were called at 7:30 and walked off ship no issues. We were in our cab by 8.

Curious what you did in Curacao. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took a cab to Mambo Beach. 8 of us in a cab(we had room for more) 5$ per person each way and we told him a time and he picked us back up. It was like 2-3$ per person to get on to beach and extra for a chair ( the chair included bottle of water). Get there early before the tours to get a good spot. There is a platform to swim out to and jump off, water is calm, and there are a bunch of inflatables in the water (that cost $10 for an hour). Water is calm. This was my 6 year olds favorite stop.

My husband walked to the top of Fort Nassau - nice view on top. He did this on his own - took about 1 hour but he walks fast. This is an off the beaten path kind of thing.

We have been to Curaçao before so already had done floating bridge and all that.

Yes - the first full sea day (we left on Saturday so it was Sunday that was formal) and the second was the second sea day (or Friday night). The first night people were dressed pretty nice. First formal had the lobster tail.

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I really wanted to know, which night they served lobster. I didn't want to book specialty dining on lobster night! I know you mentioned they were not very good, but we are from Ohio and will take any kind of lobster, steamed or broiled! LOL

We sail Vista In November so thanks for quick review. I was so hoping Gabriel would still be at Alchemy. We had him on Pride about 2 yrs ago and OMG he was so full of himself but yet quite charming. He made a mean drink. When his contract is over did he say where he was going?

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I really wanted to know, which night they served lobster. I didn't want to book specialty dining on lobster night! I know you mentioned they were not very good, but we are from Ohio and will take any kind of lobster, steamed or broiled! LOL

I'm from Cleveland and married a Mainer. Before moving to Maine it would not have mattered. We cruised with my family-all Buckeyes- they had no complaints about the lobster tail (there are 4 pieces of shrimp that come with it and that's really good). I hope you have a great cruise!!

We sail Vista In November so thanks for quick review. I was so hoping Gabriel would still be at Alchemy. We had him on Pride about 2 yrs ago and OMG he was so full of himself but yet quite charming. He made a mean drink. When his contract is over did he say where he was going?

I loved Gabriel - he is a sweetheart, all the traits of a good bartender. He applied for some travel job and is down to the final cut. He did say the pride was his favorite boat. He is on FB and may post there about his plans. Have you done Alchemy on other ships (without Gabriel). I'm wondering if drinks are always that good (strong and made to your preference)? This was our first Alchemy experience and I'm wondering if we were spoiled.

Gabriel and Raymond were our first Alchemy bartenders. Since then we have had 3 or 4 sets on various ships. I will say they were prob my fav. Raymond would get so annoyed at Gabriel for flirting and talking constantly. It was quite the pairing:') When we were on Conquest we had 3 girls and they were also very good. Last cruise was Glory and the head bartender was Richard. He was alittle hard to break (serious) at first but as the week went on he warmed up. I just love going to Alchemy before dinner and getting a speciality martini (my fav is a tart raspberry martini, which they all have totally nailed). Then they bring out these little dishes of cheese, nuts and olives! Awesome!

Also, on Glory was the only time as soon as we sat down Richard would pour a glass of ice water with cucumber slices in it for everyone. It was SO refreshing and it's nice to drink water when your drinking a lot of alcohol.

I'm from Cleveland and married a Mainer. Before moving to Maine it would not have mattered. We cruised with my family-all Buckeyes- they had no complaints about the lobster tail (there are 4 pieces of shrimp that come with it and that's really good). I hope you have a great cruise!!

Thanks so much! We are from the Cleveland area too! Small world!