Explosions in St. Petersburg Subways

vmarq

Just heard this news. We are planning to be there in a couple months but starting to be a little concerned.

Yes, what a shame - it is all over CNN. Are you concerned because you plan on using the metro? As you know, terrorism can occur anywhere at any time. I'm sure that the cruise lines won't be stopping anywhere deemed unsafe for their clients (for example, most ships no longer stop in Istanbul, Turkey). And, if you are on a tour that includes a metro ride and are concerned about riding on the metro, simply tell your guide that you do not wish to participate in a metro ride. A shame, because the metro stations in both St. Pete and Moscow are works of art. When visiting, I use the metro a lot in both St. Petersburg & Moscow same as when visiting NYC.

I was already nervous about visiting SPB and this just ups the stress. Terrorism can happen anywhere, I saw it in NYC.

It's just such a shame and very sad. We will have children on our cruise and it is just scary. We want to enjoy our visit and not be in fear for our safety.

Happy cruising and be safe!

We too will be in SPB in June, and I was saddened to hear about this horrible incident. It seems like nowhere is safe. Each day that goes by, I love my little island more and more.

My prayers and best wishes go out to everyone affected by this terrible event.

Putin was there and so thats probably why its happened.

Im in the UK and we've had things happen here, so has the US and other European cities- but it will never stop me going anywhere because then these utter scum win!!

Yes of course Im not going to go to a war zone or somwhere when the government says "don't go"

We are going to St Petes July 18 and it will be a couple of weeks after the World Cup (thats soccer for my American friends) so I would feel even safer then

We're due to be in SP in 6 weeks and are booked on a tour that includes the metro. My concern is that this will now be cancelled/amended to miss the metro. Statistically, the real risk is driving to the airport/port. I never let Irish Republican terrorists in the UK dictate to me how I lived my life (subject to sensible precautions) and I don't want these terrorists to do it either.

We're due to be in SP in 6 weeks and are booked on a tour that includes the metro. My concern is that this will now be cancelled/amended to miss the metro. Statistically, the real risk is driving to the airport/port. I never let Irish Republican terrorists in the UK dictate to me how I lived my life (subject to sensible precautions) and I don't want these terrorists to do it either.

I totally agree with you. We'll be in SPB in about 6 weeks too and unless Celebrity or the tour operators are worried about our safety, I plan to still see and do everything we had planned. Of course I will listen to both Celebrity and/or Alla Tours if they have safety recommendations-they have our best interests at heart so I will go along with whatever they say.

Teanne

The world have certainly become a more dangerous place. One can simply stay home, lock doors and windows, and likely be fine. But there are few places you can go without risk, so no reason to focus on St Petersburg. How about Paris, London, Rome, Brussels, NYC, LA. And then we have some of our wonderful US cities like Chicago, Detroit, Newark, etc etc. And lets not forget the Costa Concordia, MS Sea Diamond, Oceanos, Achillo Lauro. And it was not too many years ago that a 14 year old female cruise ship passenger was shot and killed at Coki Beach (St Thomas).

Why do I mention just a few places? Because some folks just like to focus on the latest news item...and quickly forget lots of other bad things. We travel about 6-7 months a year (to 6 continents) and live in Mexico for more then 2 months a year. If we were to spend our time thinking about what "could happen" we would likely be taking lots of Xanax...or just staying home. For those of us who do lots of traveling, it is helpful not to lose sleep over the bad things that can happen. The truth is that it could happen anywhere. It took me 3 years to convince DW to take a 2 week trip to Egypt (we went on our own). Once she went she loved the place. Ask her for her favorite trips and she will list Egypt among her top 3. Now, if I can just convince her to go to India (been working on this for about 10 years).

Hank

Hank

My OH and self went to Luxor twice and loved it. I have visited India and never gave any thought to it being dangerous.

Two weeks ago we were in Marseille a potential target. Thought it was one of the friendliest cities we had been in a long time.

I lived in London during the IRA bombings and in Spain during ETA.

There really is no need to dwell on these atrocities, they can happen anywhere.

We will be on the Serenade of the Seas in July, and now I am worried that RCI may cancel the two-day stop in St. Petersburg due to terrorism. Two questions: 1) If they decided not visit St. Petersburg, what port might they replace St. Petersburg with, and 2) Would this be grounds to cancel and receive a refund?

We flew into Madrid the day after the Atocha bombing, even though we were definitely concerned. That night, the people got together & marched in the rain. We joined them, & I'll never forget the feelings that night. It was like we were one whole being, full of peace & love & goodness, and absolutely nothing could have penetrated that.

We'll be in St. Petersburg in August if the ship still goes there.

We know that we can get hit by a car, but that doesn't stop us from crossing the street. We look both ways & trust that we'll be safe. Terrorism can happen anywhere.

We just have to pay attention & still remember that the good far outweighs the evil.