Why do they even bother ? ....

VTX-AL

When we had the short stop in Aruba I took a taxi to see the remains of Natural Bridge which had collapsed 10 days after my prior visit. The driver waited while I took photos and on our way back to town stopped at the rock formations for about 15 minutes. He then brought me back to downtown Oranjestad where I had time to do a little shopping and walk back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. I did just enough to make a short period of time seem quite full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just last week, we took the Princess snorkel excursion on the Jolly Pirate ship and loved it. The whole trip was about 3 hours, included a fun bus ride to Moomba Beach, 3 snorkel stops (including the Antillah Shipwreck) and a few turns on the rope swing. The bar was open after we did the Antillah, which included all of the "pirate punch" we could drink. We loved it and I'd do it again.

After our first Panama Canal cruise I suggested to Princess that they drop the Aruba stop. Of course, they didn't and we stopped there again on my second cruise through the Canal. IMO Aruba is a total waste of time. I would rather have spent the extra time/day in one of the other ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After our first Panama Canal cruise I suggested to Princess that they drop the Aruba stop. Of course, they didn't and we stopped there again on my second cruise through the Canal. IMO Aruba is a total waste of time. I would rather have spent the extra time/day in one of the other ports.

You didn't like it the first time so you booked another cruise so you could do it again? :o?

We used to own a timeshare, but we could NEVER exchange into Aruba, until after 9/11. Then we were able to, as many Americans wouldn't travel.

So there are many people out there who don't think Aruba is a waste of time!

We used to own a timeshare, but we could NEVER exchange into Aruba, until after 9/11. Then we were able to, as many Americans wouldn't travel.

So there are many people out there who don't think Aruba is a waste of time!

By the looks of the crowded beaches when we're there someone is travelling to Aruba.:cool:

Well, as the originator of this thread, I am obviously not overjoyed at the briefness of this stop, however, I would never agitate for it to be eliminated entirely. Rather I would much prefer it to be a normal 10-12 hour stopover, as most other ports are. A short stay is better than no stay at all ! I also now understand the PVSA implications of the Aruba stop, thanks to several previous posters . :)

...VTX-Al

It may also have something to do with the timing of arrival elsewhere. Being 5 hours early somewhere else could be a bigger problem. So stop in Aruba or go in circles at sea and waste fuel. If someone doesn't feel like it's enough time to see or do anything they can always stay on the ship. I've only heard of Princess kicking everyone off at the last stop.

Hi,I agree,Grand Turk is the original one horse island lol,cheers,Brian.

On a Carnival cruise stop here a few years ago, took an island tour, stopping at the maritime museum and lighthouse and a shop by the salt marsh. Really enjoyed it...felt like I saw a bit of their island life, instead of the usual shops and Margaritaville behind the fence.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Five hours gives me plenty of time for a private snorkel session with Aruba Bob! And I'd be most grateful for that five hours! I love Aruba and I'd take those five hours any day!

PA314495-M.jpg

PA314564-M.jpg

PA314488-M.jpg

P1030650-M.jpg

And being from Western North Carolina and East Tennessee, this one sign in particular made our trip! We passed it while walking around the downtown area, right on LG Smith Blvd, the main drag!

P1030649-M.jpg

• 4 months later...
Hi,I agree,Grand Turk is the original one horse island lol,cheers,Brian.

Speaking of horses and Grand Turk - we love horseback riding in the surf on Grand Turk. Would pick one cruise itinerary over another just to do that for the third time. :D

Sailing on the Island Princess this month from Fort Lauderdale, through the Canal and ending in Vancouver. The first port stop is Aruba with a five-hour stay. So, we get off the ship, walk into downtown Oranjestaad, maybe grab a coffee, drop some cash at the closest tourist trap, and then, allowing for a reasonable buffer before sailing, it's about time to return to the ship.

So, the question is: Why does Princess even bother with such a short port stop? Surely there's not much time for even a short excursion, beach visit, etc, re-fueling the ship can't be needed that soon either. Guess we will at least be able to say that we have "been to" Aruba ! :rolleyes:

...VTX-Al

Visit the butterfly farm, then they take you to look at some rocks, then next stop is the aloe vera factory with high priced aloe vera lotion. Be sure not to open or even look at a bottle of the stuff lest the cashier comes tearing around the corner to grab it out of your hand telling you to not open anything! I was looking at the ingredients. I told her where to go and left the building.:evilsmile:

I have spoken with Princess regarding a 7 or 8 day including Aruba stop. I was told as of January 2019, there would be no more but would still be available on some longer sailings. Disappointed. Has anyone else been told this? I know I book early... :confused:
that's sad. I loved the ABC sailing. We even went on an older Caribbean Princess instead of Regal to visit ABC.

I have spoken with Princess regarding a 7 or 8 day including Aruba stop. I was told as of January 2019, there would be no more but would still be available on some longer sailings. Disappointed. Has anyone else been told this? I know I book early... :confused:

That's a new development. Glad we've done it before on the short cruise,