Room Service Question

DeafOnBoard

Will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam and am asking for suggestions about how to call room service.

Why am I asking this? Deaf here. Last ship I was on, the Carnival Inspiration, no matter what the stewards and other staff did (after hours of wrangling with the darned machine), the in cabin TTY would NOT work for in ship calls (it did work for outgoing land calls tho). For breakfast it was no problem filling out the card. Other times, I made an arrangement with the Atrium bar a few yards away that I could approach them with a handwritten order and they would gladly call it in. (A friendly smile goes a long way!)

By the way the TTY hasn't worked in several hotels so it's not a ship issue.

As I will be on Deck 4, there are no friendly faces at desks nearby to call for me. Cabin 4070 for those who are wondering.

Won't be using it often but I would like the occasional plateful of warm cookies and a cup of tea at night.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the suggestions!

Looking at the deck plans it looks like I could go down the corridor, down a flight of stairs and be at the Ocean Bar. Wonder if I become friendly with the staff there they'd call it in? Saves me from going all the way downstairs to the Front Desk... hmm...

Will be doing an extensive report when I get back as I see almost no reports by Deaf cruisers (at least those who use ASL)! :)

How would you know that the roomservice steward is at your door for delivery when you' re hearing is challenged?

There are specially equipped rooms with flashing light "doorbells."

Correct. They install the doorbell light which will flash lIke a strobe. Never fails to wake me up. :) (and yes I preordered the kit and got confirmation that it will be up and running in the cabin along with the cursed TTY and the wonderful bed shaker alarm that I like to kick off the bed.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Looking at the deck plans it looks like I could go down the corridor, down a flight of stairs and be at the Ocean Bar. Wonder if I become friendly with the staff there they'd call it in? Saves me from going all the way downstairs to the Front Desk... hmm...

Will be doing an extensive report when I get back as I see almost no reports by Deaf cruisers (at least those who use ASL)! :)

Asking for assistance at Ocean Bar is a good idea. I'd be shockdd if they would not help immeiately.. Couunt ongthe Ocean Bar crew. They will help you. However, note the hours it is open. thouugh the area iis open, there may not be a bartender prersent to assist 24/7. Daily program will list the bar hours Why not write out a note in advandce explaining you would like asistrance. that wouud save you having to explain to a number of folks. Any crew person you encounter on the ship will asssist when they reaalize the way they can be of help. But, let's hope the phone in your cab in operates properly. If not, report it to your cab in steward and if not fixed promptly, speak with front office.

Edited by sail7seas

I saw a post somewhere here on CC where they were talking about being able to order room service using the ship's app (you can access the ship's app through the wifi for free). Don't think it was HAL (may have been Princess or NCL since I was researching Alaska when I saw it), but that would be a great feature for people like the OP.

OP, you ought to suggest getting something like this to HAL. I'm sure coming from someone who would benefit from the service might have more sway.

Hope everything works out for you on your cruise!

If your TTY doesn't work properly then report it and insist it is fixed right away! What happens if there is a real emergency? I am deaf with bilateral cochlear implants, and usually don't wear my processors in the cabin. There are a lot of issues with cruising and being without hearing. The ships really aren't prepared for getting information out regarding any changes in itinerary due to weather or other situations where announcements are made. If you don't speak up, nothing will change. Yes - TTY technology is outdated and there may be issues with fixing machines that aren't operating up to snuff, but that is no excuse for having nothing to communicate with in your cabin. This is not just a HAL problem, but one that is rampant throughout the industry. :(

If your TTY doesn't work properly then report it and insist it is fixed right away! What happens if there is a real emergency? I am deaf with bilateral cochlear implants, and usually don't wear my processors in the cabin. There are a lot of issues with cruising and being without hearing. The ships really aren't prepared for getting information out regarding any changes in itinerary due to weather or other situations where announcements are made. If you don't speak up, nothing will change. Yes - TTY technology is outdated and there may be issues with fixing machines that aren't operating up to snuff, but that is no excuse for having nothing to communicate with in your cabin. This is not just a HAL problem, but one that is rampant throughout the industry. :(

Very true indeed! I will defintely be on the lookout for suggestions and report feedback (in the paSt I've had great responses and action - including the one joke suggestion I gave Disney that actually got implemented in the second generation of their handheld captioning along with the 10 others that I suggested... so there's hope they listen!)

I too have bilateral CIs too and I don't always have them on for various reasons.

(Have you been following the incident with RCI and Quantum of the Seas hurricane? A large group of Deaf pax were on board they got NO updates during the in cabin stay and wouldn't let the intepreters stay with them to relay the updates from the captain? Yeah wouldn't want to be in that situation - there's a lawsuit pending on that....)

Very true indeed! I will defintely be on the lookout for suggestions and report feedback (in the paSt I've had great responses and action - including the one joke suggestion I gave Disney that actually got implemented in the second generation of their handheld captioning along with the 10 others that I suggested... so there's hope they listen!)

I too have bilateral CIs too and I don't always have them on for various reasons.

(Have you been following the incident with RCI and Quantum of the Seas hurricane? A large group of Deaf pax were on board they got NO updates during the in cabin stay and wouldn't let the intepreters stay with them to relay the updates from the captain? Yeah wouldn't want to be in that situation - there's a lawsuit pending on that....)

I lost my hearing in an instant, without warning four and a half years ago. All of it. There was no degenerative, progressive hearing loss - It was just *POOF*, like a light switch, and I was deaf at the age of 49. So cruising (and life!) as a person with hearing issues is still new to me and am still surprised at how behind the times the ships are. I'll be sailing on Koningsdam in 6 weeks and as their newest ship, there is still not a looped area in the main show lounge. I've been walked in on completely naked in my cabin, coming out of the shower because the room steward didn't know what the door knocker flashy thingy was. Hello!!!!!!!!! Don't they train their staff? It can be frustrating, but I'm fat so it was probably he who was more shocked than me! :') The room service people haven't known what it was for, either. I try to keep my processors on, but when those batteries are about to die and I need to change them, of COURSE it's when room service is about to come.

I hadn't heard about Quantum, and honestly gave up on RCI years ago so haven't accessed those pages in a while. I'm interested in reading up on it if you have a link you can share with me.

I would call the "Special needs" dept. prior to the cruise...tell them your dilemma and let them fix it for you. You could certainly leave a note for the cabin attendant....if they are any good, they will place the order for you...or at least, get the TTY working for you!