My passport expires day before embarkation

yeah, just saw that as I was filling in cruise docs. I'm nearly certain I have a birth certificate.

Sailing soon, do I chance getting a new one expedited or sail with expired passport and birth certificate?

I don't know if this helps, not sure when you set sail but I got my passport in 15 days without paying for it to be expedited.

Make sure your birth certificate is certified and you will be fine assuming you are leaving from a US port and returning to the same port. Happy Sailing!!!

I may be going to England in the fall, so wondering if it is easier to apply for renewal before it expires? I wonder if it matters.

I just got my first one but I have heard it is best to renew before it expires.

I may be going to England in the fall, so wondering if it is easier to apply for renewal before it expires? I wonder if it matters.

Yes, easier and faster.

Nexus 9 on Tapatalk Pro

Mine expires 5 days before we leave. Such a pain. But I am doing the renewal by mail. It makes me a little nervous mailing my passport to them, but website says they send everything back. So... Hoping it doesn't take the estimated 4-6 weeks to get it. But glad I caught it soon enough that it won't matter.

Yes, easier and faster.

Nexus 9 on Tapatalk Pro

An adult passport may be renewed by mail if it has been issued in the past 15 years (5 years past the ten year expiration date). Personally I will let my travel plans dictate when I renew my passport, not the expiration date.

OP, you'll have to decide if you are comfortable with the small risk of something happening that would cause you to leave the cruise early.

I don't know if this helps, not sure when you set sail but I got my passport in 15 days without paying for it to be expedited.

Make sure your birth certificate is certified and you will be fine assuming you are leaving from a US port and returning to the same port. Happy Sailing!!!

it doesn't need to be certified...even a photocopy of your birth certificate is ok. Just used a photocopy on March 2, 2017.

"A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. "

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-citizens

it doesn't need to be certified...even a photocopy of your birth certificate is ok. Just used a photocopy on March 2, 2017.

"A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. "

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/~/travel-documentation%3A-u.s.-citizens

In other words, certified. Birth certificates from a government agency, Vital statistics, Dept of Health, are certified. Hospital birth certificates are not.

Ok thanks. I guess I'll renew when I get back. Dh is the only one with an unexpired one (the kids don't have one yet.. I guess I'll work on theirs when I get back as well). I would need it back in 8 business days if I sent it off tomorrow.

I am going to go check my birth certificate now.

We just got my daughter's passport back in less than 3 weeks.

I would bring your birth certificate just in case.

I am pretty sure, somewhere on Carnival's website, the passport needs to be valid for 6 months after the return date.

I wouldn't risk it.

Looks like you are down to 11 days.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!!

My son got his recently in under 2 weeks! We did not pay for expedited. It did make me wonder how fast the couple who paid wayyyyy more money for expedited got theirs!

It really depends on what you mean by expedited. The agency my company uses has had my passport in my hands in 1 day.

It really depends on what you mean by expedited. The agency my company uses has had my passport in my hands in 1 day.

That means they used a passport service that took your passport application to an actual Passport Agency office in one of the few US cities that has one. Somebody was paid to stand around all day and wait for your passport to be processed. Most folks don't have the time, money or access to a Passport Agency to do that.

yeah, just saw that as I was filling in cruise docs. I'm nearly certain I have a birth certificate.

Sailing soon, do I chance getting a new one expedited or sail with expired passport and birth certificate?

Will an expired passport work as a photo ID? :confused:

In other words, certified. Birth certificates from a government agency, Vital statistics, Dept of Health, are certified. Hospital birth certificates are not.

You can bring a photocopy of a certified birth certificate.

When I got my passport(first) in December 2015 it took about four weeks(didn't expedite). I first requested an extra certified copy of my birth certificate(expedited and took one week). I then waited four days for my face to clear up as much as possible. It took a total of six weeks and two days. It arrived while I was away for three days. The post office was closed the day I got back, so I had to wait another day. I picked it up three days after it arrived. Mine probably took longer because of other people needing passports for holiday travel.

I didn't want to be without a copy while I waited for the Department of State to send my original certified copy back. I sent the extra copy with my application for sentimental reasons. The first copy is the one my parents were given when I was born, certificates are now issued by a specific office instead of the department, that office moved to a different building, and there are different people running it. If my first copy was lost or destroyed, it couldn't be recreated. The letterhead, office address, the seal, the issue date, and the registrar's signature wouldn't be the same. I care about dumb stuff like that.

I got my picture taken in the passport office at the post office. It cost more, but the picture was taken correctly. I don't take selfies, and I take terrible pictures of people. I am much better with nature shots.

Sorry about my super long posts. I can't summarize. I try and fail every time.

We just got my daughter's passport back in less than 3 weeks.

I would bring your birth certificate just in case.

I am pretty sure, somewhere on Carnival's website, the passport needs to be valid for 6 months after the return date.

I wouldn't risk it.

Looks like you are down to 11 days.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!!

I am pretty sure it says that they "recommend" that your passport be valid for 6 months after the return date but for Caribbean cruises all that is required is that your passport be valid at the end of your cruise.

Bill

Mine expires 5 days before we leave. Such a pain. But I am doing the renewal by mail. It makes me a little nervous mailing my passport to them, but website says they send everything back. So... Hoping it doesn't take the estimated 4-6 weeks to get it. But glad I caught it soon enough that it won't matter.

I renewed by mail recently. They cashed my check on March 9 and I had my new passport back on March 31. I did not pay for expedited service. Just make sure your picture follows all of the rules, my brother sent his in and he had just taken a picture at home instead of getting one done someplace and they sent it back saying that the wall behind him was not white enough. Delayed his passport by several weeks. Fortunately he had no problem travelling on his birth certificate and drivers license.