Paying for cruise with discount gift cards

This is not unusual for this particular company's higher end cruise policies.

The policies offer excellent coverage. They are reasonably priced and offer pre-existing condition waivers up to the day of final payment, which is incredible for travel insurance. The medicals are secondary only, which isn't a big deal to us, and there are 4 levels to choose from from bare bones to luxury.

We are using the choice coverage for our next 2 cruises.

We are too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And for several policies, what I wrote is right. I said "with a few exceptions" and you said "some companies", that sounds to me like we are both trying to say the same thing, i.e. that the majority don't. I noticed that you didn't say "most companies". You just made a blanket "Wrong" statement and that wasn't true.

No, a few exceptions implies very few, certainly less than half. Some implies many more than that. Anyone who does the legwork, as I have, will find out which version is correct.

You seem to have some psychological need to keep coming back here to try to win "the last word game." Whatever. I make my money word-smithing and tearing up definitions, so keep trying.

We do this all the time...actually every time. :D We started by buying the gift cards at our local grocery store, using our visa that would give us the most points back, then we earned free gas from the grocery store as well...actually enough free gas for 3 months and 2 days!!! ;)

Then we discovered the discounted Verizon gift cards and we never use our points for anything else with Verizon and started buying those every chance we could (once again, using the Verizon as a discount and paying for them with a card that earned money back).

THEN...we discovered that you can get the gift cards using our business Southwest card! Whoa! I was super excited to learn this because this means we are now CRUISING FOR FREE!!! We earn so many points each month that we get 1) free cruises, 2) free air flight and 3) even the hotel is free! Talk about hitting the lotto! :D

They just apply the cards when you check in and you are ready to go. They can also apply them at the service desk on the ship.

I'd love to reach out and talk to you about this a little more if possible. My hubby also owns his own bussiness but stupidly he does not use a "perk" credit card for his accounts. Ive been on him extra hard to get one lately. I have been a Chase freedom holder for a long time but now ventured out to get a SW card for myself for the bonus points and wanting to fly free for our next avdenture to where we go.

Maybe this is a good place to ask:

I've seen a couple of you say you can use gift cards for your s&s card....how is that done exactly? Do you use them to buy cruise cash? Does that automatically go on your s&s card? And do you still have to use a credit card as financial backing to the s&s card? (Sorry, I'm new to this)

TIA

Landshark

Maybe this is a good place to ask:

I've seen a couple of you say you can use gift cards for your s&s card....how is that done exactly? Do you use them to buy cruise cash? Does that automatically go on your s&s card? And do you still have to use a credit card as financial backing to the s&s card? (Sorry, I'm new to this)

TIA

Landshark

You can use the cards to place your initial deposit on your cruise, pay off your cruise or be placed onto your sail & sign card. Basically all financials can be covered using these cards. If you're using it for either of the first two, you would just do it through your travel agent or through your carnival PVP if you have one or through Carnival's customer service if you don't. Regarding your sail & sign, you would use them just like cash when you did your initial sign in or you could use a credit card and then do it at the customer service desk once on the ship. It would be easier to have a credit card as a back up if you spent more than what you had in Carnival gift card "credit" on your account. If you did not have a credit card as back up, then you would need to have cash as a back up. Hope this clears things up for you.

Good to know. Thanks for that. I was hesitant about signing up...but not anymore.

Always glad to help! :)

You earn double points as an AARP member, and they frequently have specials for discounted memberships. Also, if DH joins, I would automatically become a member. I'm reluctant because I'm only 45, and an AARP membership makes me feel ancient. I also don't agree with all of their political stances (not trying to start a debate, just explaining my personal reasons for not joining). Also, I've managed to pay off 2 cruises without joining, and I'm in the process of paying off a Journeys cruise with AARP and Allstate Drivewise discounted cards, so there hasn't been a need for paid memberships so far.

You can use the cards to place your initial deposit on your cruise, pay off your cruise or be placed onto your sail & sign card. Basically all financials can be covered using these cards. If you're using it for either of the first two, you would just do it through your travel agent or through your carnival PVP if you have one or through Carnival's customer service if you don't. Regarding your sail & sign, you would use them just like cash when you did your initial sign in or you could use a credit card and then do it at the customer service desk once on the ship. It would be easier to have a credit card as a back up if you spent more than what you had in Carnival gift card "credit" on your account. If you did not have a credit card as back up, then you would need to have cash as a back up. Hope this clears things up for you.

There are also kiosks on some (most?) ships which allow you to add gift cards to your S&S account. These save trips to guest services and standing in line.

There are also kiosks on some (most?) ships which allow you to add gift cards to your S&S account. These save trips to guest services and standing in line.

Rarely have to wait at guest services because of my Platinum status, so I wasn't familiar with the kiosks, but it's good to know to pass along as another option.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Rarely have to wait at guest services because of my Platinum status, so I wasn't familiar with the kiosks, but it's good to know to pass along as another option.

We are lowly golds. We try to get FTTF, but sometimes it's not available, so we do what we have to do to avoid lines and waiting when on vacation. It'll take a couple more Journeys cruises before we're Platinum.

We are lowly golds. We try to get FTTF, but sometimes it's not available, so we do what we have to do to avoid lines and waiting when on vacation. It'll take a couple more Journeys cruises before we're Platinum.

The status is not as good as it used to be and in reality was not and is not really fabulous. Not having to wait at guest services as well as priority embarks for tendering are the best perks IMO, but with tendering ports so sporadic, it's a moot point on most cruises.

Wish they would give a BOGO on a specialty dinner or a free 8 x 10 picture. Neither of those things would cost them much at all. Or a 10% discount on Cheers. Won't hold my breath for that one.

• 8 months later...
So can these gift cards be used to pay off your cruise or only for the on board account?

I've used them for both.

You can use them to make a payment on your booking.

You can hand them over when you board to have the money available on your account.

So can these gift cards be used to pay off your cruise or only for the on board account?

I use them online to pay off my cruise, Cheers, and internet plan. Then I bring more for my onboard account. I add them at the kiosk or guest services.