Paying for cruise with discount gift cards

Since I had Nationwide cruise insurance I was cover d for a change in itinerary. We had a change and I was able to collect

On the insurance.I didn't have any problems and did receive money from the ins co

How were you able to collect insurance money for a change in itinerary? In the T & C's the cruise lines liability is null and void if this occurs.

Remember, with a few exceptions, travel insurers will not pay claims with fares that were paid with gift cards.

Wrong!

Before buying a policy, check the definitions or, if necessary, ask and get the response in writing that they are covered.

Some companies include gift cards within their definitions of "payments". Those are the ones you want. This is why it's important to comparison shop and be an informed buyer.

Edited by VASOXFANN

How were you able to collect insurance money for a change in itinerary? In the T & C's the cruise lines liability is null and void if this occurs.

Some policies cover this. Shopping for travel insurance coverage is important as shopping for cruises.

Wrong!

Before buying a policy, check the definitions or, if necessary, ask and get the response in writing that they are covered.

Some companies include gift cards within their definitions of "payments". Those are the ones you want. This is why it's important to comparison shop and be an informed buyer.

It's not WRONG, I never said they NEVER cover it, I said MOST don't! If people just willy-nilly look at the cheapest and not pay attention to the fine print, they might find out to late that it won't pay. It was just a heads up---chill out!

We do this all the time...actually every time. :D We started by buying the gift cards at our local grocery store, using our visa that would give us the most points back, then we earned free gas from the grocery store as well...actually enough free gas for 3 months and 2 days!!! ;)

Then we discovered the discounted Verizon gift cards and we never use our points for anything else with Verizon and started buying those every chance we could (once again, using the Verizon as a discount and paying for them with a card that earned money back).

THEN...we discovered that you can get the gift cards using our business Southwest card! Whoa! I was super excited to learn this because this means we are now CRUISING FOR FREE!!! We earn so many points each month that we get 1) free cruises, 2) free air flight and 3) even the hotel is free! Talk about hitting the lotto! :D

They just apply the cards when you check in and you are ready to go. They can also apply them at the service desk on the ship.

You get 5000 for signing up and another 10000 for getting the Drivewise app started. And they usually send periodic promo codes worth 1000 or 2000 a pop. Had 17000 earned and redeemed with no problem and since they have the ecard option, there are no shipping charges like with Verizon or AARP.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

How did you activate the Drivewise app? I don't have Allstate. It allowed me to sign up so I received the 4000 points but I can't get the 10000 for activating

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How did you activate the Drivewise app? I don't have Allstate. It allowed me to sign up so I received the 4000 points but I can't get the 10000 for activating

I had the 10000 points show up a few days after I created an account - there is no activation code required in spite of any references you may see to it. I am not an Allstate customer.

Make sure location services is enabled on your eye phone for the app to work.

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

The location services thing is the key because that is how they track you. I let it do it for two days and then I disconnected the app once the 10000 points were deposited. I still have the email membership and I get periodic​ emails with promotional codes.

If you don't get rid of the app then they will keep tracking you which will also allow you to earn a few points by not hard breaking or driving under 80, but it will be a slow constant drain of your data.

Yes! This! I am NOT an Allstate customer but it still works. Go download the Allstate Drivewise App and create a free account. It keeps track of your safe driving and awards you points. I just installed the app yesterday and have earned 14,000 points already with minimal driving. For 1,000 points you can purchase a $100 Carnival GC for $90. You can purchase up to 5 per day. I rec'd the ecards almost immediately in my email.This is pretty cool because they have tons of GCs for all kinds of stores, hotels, restaurants, etc...

Thanks for the info! Ive tried to get the cards from Verizon previously but never seem to catch them. I read a lot of threads about the gift cards before my last Carnival cruise in February 2015 and just want to confirm nothing has changed and I can still use these cards to pay for shore excursions as well as paying for the cruise itself? Thanks!

Yes! This! I am NOT an Allstate customer but it still works. Go download the Allstate Drivewise App and create a free account. It keeps track of your safe driving and awards you points. I just installed the app yesterday and have earned 14,000 points already with minimal driving. For 1,000 points you can purchase a $100 Carnival GC for $90. You can purchase up to 5 per day. I rec'd the ecards almost immediately in my email.This is pretty cool because they have tons of GCs for all kinds of stores, hotels, restaurants, etc...

Hoping you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded Drivewise app and have started accumulating points but I don't see how to redeem them. Is there a link in the app that will take me to the gift card options?

Hoping you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded Drivewise app and have started accumulating points but I don't see how to redeem them. Is there a link in the app that will take me to the gift card options?

Do you see "my rewards" at the bottom? Go there, then shop with points, then gift cards.

Do you see "my rewards" at the bottom? Go there, then shop with points, then gift cards.

No I don't see "my rewards". Only: "Dashboard"-"My Trips"-"My Driving"-"More"

When I click on any of those 4 options nothing about redeeming points. Are you able to redeem directly from the app or is there a regular website you visited?

I was able to access it from Allstate's website but it was a little bit of a PITB. I'm not an Allstate customer and it kept asking for my policy #. I ordered (1) $100 GC and chose email delivery. Immediately got an email confirmation but not the actual e-Gift card. It said it would be shipped to my address. Guess I will wait for it to show up. I'm glad I only chose $100 worth for now. Planning to pay for my entire cruise using this method but figured I should do a small trial run first to see how it works out. Will report back when I receive the actual GC. Thanks to everyone for mentioning this deal and for the help.

Will report back when I receive the actual GC. Thanks to everyone for mentioning this deal and for the help.
You already received it if you got the email confirmation. Go into your account and access your rewards section. In there is where the link is to print off your ecard with pin number. Once you print it off' date=' contact Carnival or your travel agent to redeem. You can use it for redemption of all monies, even including swapping out your original deposit and getting a credit back on your credit card. After paying off your cruise, earn and buy more for gratuities, Cheers, excursions, etc. I have 6000 at this point for two future cruises and just need another 1000 to have everything covered.

You already received it if you got the email confirmation. Go into your account and access your rewards section. In there is where the link is to print off your ecard with pin number. Once you print it off, contact Carnival or your travel agent to redeem. You can use it for redemption of all monies, even including swapping out your original deposit and getting a credit back on your credit card. After paying off your cruise, earn and buy more for gratuities, Cheers, excursions, etc. I have 6000 at this point for two future cruises and just need another 1000 to have everything covered.

Well how do you like that !?! I do have them!! Thank you so much.

P.S.

I'm really not as dumb as I look on this thread. LOL.

Daily Giveaways this year has a $100 card for $85 on April 24th but it's limited to 2500 people. https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/OfferDetails.aspx?pid=220a512f-0d6e-464d-9dcb-3986183189c9
In the redemption section, it states that the cards need to be used by November of 2018 and only one can be used per booking. Have you purchased these cards before from this vendor and have you redeemed them?